Sam Tomkins

Farrell would have been a fantastic player. I think Tomkins is going a bit over the top with "would've been the best" but he definitely would've been a top player.

I do think Owen Farrell will finish his career at Wigan. He'll be way over the hill by then though.

Edited by Welshleaguelover

On 07/10/2022 at 15:02, EastLondonMike said:

He says he thinks Owen Farrell is the best RL player of the last 10 years despite never having played the game at professional level.

Which isn't something the captain of the English Rugby League team should be saying immediately before the start of our World Cup.  I don't care how good people think Farrell might have been.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Welshleaguelover said:

Farrell would have been a fantastic player. I think Tomkins is going a bit over the top with "would've been the best" but he definitely would've been a top player.

I do think Owen Farrell will finish his career at Wigan. He'll be way over the hill by then though.

What for - pocket money?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 08/10/2022 at 15:50, my missus said:

if Farrell hadn't been a goal kicker I doubt he would have got anywhere.

Just like Neil Fox, then?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

You’d have a point if he hadn’t also scored well over 300 try’s 

Oh thanks, I never knew that.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Sort of on topic... I thought this was a good interview with Tomkins.

https://www.menshealth.com/uk/mental-strength/a41554413/talking-heads-alastair-campbell-sam-tomkins/

24 minutes ago, corvusxiii said:

Great Stuff. Top Marks.

A very good interview. 

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

What a load of tripe speculating how good someone would be at something they have never done as in Owen Farrell, our game is littered with Union player's who have changed codes and untill they are put out on the field the truth is it is still a gamble some have done good, others have been abject failures much to the dismay of a lot of club chairman.

I watch both codes but hands down RL is more exciting.  I feel Sam Tomkins gets a bit of a hard time from fans.  For me is a superstar and one I am pleased did not go over to Rugby Union.  I reckon he could have been a huge success in that code like e.g. Chris Ashton.  I do think the World Cup being delayed a year has done Tomkins no favours as Father Time remains undefeated, and Tomkins looked in better form and more athletic a year ago.

it is ridiculous to suggest Owen Farrell was the best RL. I think it is reasonable to consider Owen Farrell would have been an England international in RL at a minimum, how good he would have been who knows.  A goal kicking centre like Jamie Lyon?

As per above - George Ford who also played RL at youth level is arguably the bigger loss being more attacking and exciting in style than Owen Farrell.  

On 06/10/2022 at 18:45, Phil W said:

Sam Tomkins has been on the rugby pod with Jim Hamilton this week, thought it was a really good chat. 

The rugby pod is a rugby union podcast but thought I'd let people know as they might enjoy it.

If you search for rugby pod Sam Tomkins it should come up.

That was a good listen thanks for sharing. Some good promotional work for the tournament done by Sam as well - he really talked up the World Cup!

He was refreshingly honest about the NRL too: "Bigger, faster, stronger" were the words he used. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

What a load of tripe speculating how good someone would be at something they have never done as in Owen Farrell, our game is littered with Union player's who have changed codes and untill they are put out on the field the truth is it is still a gamble some have done good, others have been abject failures much to the dismay of a lot of club chairman.

I don't know Harry, I bet you would have been a great Train Driver....if you had the access to ride one..🤣

10 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think the point with Farrell is the 'what if' he had stayed in League rather than come over from Union.

I don't think it is a massive stretch to see what he does well in Union and consider his abilities in League.  It may not be an exact science but I don't think it is tripe!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think the point with Farrell is the 'what if' he had stayed in League rather than come over from Union.

I don't think it is a massive stretch to see what he does well in Union and consider his abilities in League.  It may not be an exact science but I don't think it is tripe!

Many pounds have been spent by clubs speculating on what any given player who switches codes by "what he does well in Union and consider his abilities in League" as I said some have transferred their skills well enough others havn't it is a gamble till proven.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Many pounds have been spent by clubs speculating on what any given player who switches codes by "what he does well in Union and consider his abilities in League" as I said some have transferred their skills well enough others havn't it is a gamble till proven.

And I am happy to speculate as I find it an interesting discussion.  You clearly do not and want to shut it down for some reason.

On 08/10/2022 at 19:36, Welshleaguelover said:

I'd like him to but can't see it....too much to lose. He'd also have a price on his head a la Thomas who got t****ed in his third or fourth carry in SL....was out for weeks

Edited by Bedfordshire Bronco

That Owen Farrell earns circa £1 million a year from Saracens/England/Lions means he is unlikely to ever appear for Wigan I suspect.  I suppose there is the possibility he decides to as a Labour of love at the tail end of his career particularly if he has been dropped from the international setup.

Rugby League is so fast and athletic I wouldn’t wish to be converting to it in my mid 30s mind.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Back onto Sam - what are the odds he plays fullback for France in 2024?? - I would say a very good chance. 

I’ll be amazed if he’s still playing in 2 yrs,part of the coaching staff maybe.