BBC HYS- Trolling.

25 minutes ago, del capo said:

I'm happy with the England selection process.

Radley's dad ( not his grandad or a more distant relative ) was born and bred in Yorkshire.

Oledski came to England as an 8year old ( unlike the Aussie hoovering of Pacific  Islander youngsters ) and played his junior rugby with East Leeds .

Mcilorum born and bred in Leeds and ex Queens Junior.

Farnworth and Young both  born Englishmen , starting their rugby journeys with Wigan St Patricks and Dewsbury Moor respectively.......

The only questionable one is oledski however he wouldn't be playing RL if he didn't move to a league town and certainly if he grew up in another European country, if he grew up in England he will be well versed in English custom and culture to the point he feels English whilst still tilting a nod to his heritage.

"I guess one man's troll is another man's champion of a worthy cause."

Key thing, obvious troll: ignore them.

And a related key saying, back from the days of usenet... (Usenet? Google it, youngsters!)

"Don't feed the troll."

Edited by Stuff Smith
  • Thanks 1

I honestly respect Radley's decision. He's aligned himself to a tier 1 nation and as such can't reverse it. Much harder a decision to make than choosing a tier 2 nation with the option to still play origin or for Australia in the future. If it were a Pacific island representative no one would bat an eyelid

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

Back in the day, I was one of the most vociferous opponents of the way heritage is used in RL. There are too many nations that arent just using heritage to bolster a squad but to create one where RL isn't really played.

However, it's been the way for 22 or so years now and isn't going to change anytime soon so it's not really controversial any more. People also naturally have less of an issue with say Tonga, Samoa, Fiji etc when they are part of those communities and very passionate about them.

I'm still so scarred by the 2000WC that I can't get too invested in the whole RLWC. I'm really looking forward to the opener but will only dip in and out of the opening rounds.

Hey, I respect your position, but can't agree.   No matter how long it's been I just can't get into "pretend" international teams, I'd rather have a smaller tournament reflective of where the game is actually played instead of trying to pretend otherwise.  That said, I'm an advocate of expansion though that feels like p***ing in the wind at times when I read some of the posters on here, for example a certain poster of a certain promoted team who on one hand says they are in favour of expandng the game and on the other are clearly desperate not to in case it means that their team loses it's remote chance of becoming the "king of nothing".  Anyway, let's enjoy the world cup, I'm hoping for some good crowds and positivie vibes.

Edited by Hello
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, del capo said:

I'm happy with the England selection process.

Radley's dad ( not his grandad or a more distant relative ) was born and bred in Yorkshire.

Oledski came to England as an 8year old ( unlike the Aussie hoovering of Pacific  Islander youngsters ) and played his junior rugby with East Leeds .

Mcilorum born and bred in Leeds and ex Queens Junior.

Farnworth and Young both  born Englishmen , starting their rugby journeys with Wigan St Patricks and Dewsbury Moor respectively.......

I don't have a problem with any of them either. I live in the same situation as Radley. My wife is Irish and I could totally see a scenario where my son wanted to represent his Irish heritage - I bought him an Ireland football kit just yesterday!

The whole segment was clearly about Wane's comments in 2020 on wanting English born and bred players, which itself was a reaction to Austin and Hastings etc.

I think most people are OK with the idea of heritage players, but become less comfortable when it is used as a second choice. McIlorum is a good example of this. He'd clearly play for England everytime if he could, and represents Ireland when he can't. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Rene_Artois said:

I honestly respect Radley's decision. He's aligned himself to a tier 1 nation and as such can't reverse it. Much harder a decision to make than choosing a tier 2 nation with the option to still play origin or for Australia in the future. If it were a Pacific island representative no one would bat an eyelid

As someone has mentioned, the Aussie accent is essentially what invites the criticism, which itself is tied up in the image of Australian's dominating RL.

It's probably similar to English accents in Irish football. There'll be suspicion on any English accent in that context, even when it's completely genuine like Kevin Kilbane.

• Haha 1

Here's to a fantastic competition with hopefully competitive games and no "blow out" hammerings. In terms of the "heritage" issue, it's one that RL will always face and doesn't impact on the sport in a negative way. As my username indicates, I have no problem in sounding like Ray Winstone when I talk and cheering very loudly for any team in Green and I doubt any of the players pulling on their "national" shirt will feel anything other than pride.

I have a sneaky feeling that this might just be England's year!

• Like 3

When I saw the title thread and the letters HYS I had not a clue what it meant, so I looked it up then read a little - about a page and a half - then come to the conclusion that the posters on this site who are commenting about it being made up of Trolls and vile comments not only on the BBC site but other media platforms are like every other contributor to those pages in that they are feeding the reason why these pages exist, and just by clicking on them is akin to stoking and feeding the fire.

Just leave these HYS pages alone the BBC, You-Tube, Facebook, Twitter etc etc, it's like being a Mary Whitehouse who complained and campaigned against social liberalism being broadcast saying it was crude, rude and unacceptable but then she would watch the very things she complained about just so that she could moan about it!

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just leave these HYS pages alone the BBC, You-Tube, Facebook, Twitter etc etc, it's like being a Mary Whitehouse who complained and campaigned against social liberalism being broadcast saying it was crude, rude and unacceptable but then she would watch the very things she complained about just so that she could moan about it!

If people just stopped using the BBC and social media when it came to RL that would be bad for the sport and would only result in dwindling coverage as the owners would think there is no interest from the sport. These mediums are also vitally important in engaging with fans and prospective fans. Youngsters don't use forums like this.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Damien said:

If people just stopped using the BBC and social media when it came to RL that would be bad for the sport and would only result in dwindling coverage as the owners would think there is no interest from the sport. These mediums are also vitally important in engaging with fans and prospective fans. Youngsters don't use forums like this.

OK, glad that you just see there are no negatives in these sites only that as I say I read one and a bit pages and all the comments were of trolls, union activists, people with nothing else better to do, keep reading.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

OK, glad that you just see there are no negatives in these sites only that as I say I read one and a bit pages and all the comments were of trolls, union activists, people with nothing else better to do, keep reading.

I never said there are no negatives, don't start with the strawman stuff. It is daft though to just say leave RL pages alone on the BBC and social media when they are the most prevalent ways that people engage with the sport. There are plenty of great RL groups on the likes of Facebook and some good contributors on Twitter for example. I wouldn't say relying on an echo chamber in a forum with a core of perhaps 30 or so other people, mainly older people at that, is a positive thing and it is certainly no good for younger fans.

• Like 3

The HYS option is a visible way to respond  to and support the RL game, seems daft to ignore it just because some people are ........       Just dont resond/reply or acknowledge the trolls. Dont reward bad behaviour. 

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

6 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Have you seen the draw?

England is playing Greece.

Australia is playing Scotland.

and Tonga is playing Wales.

Greece have 70% heritage players according to the thread with all those stats. YES, England should account for them with ease, but it's not going to be a good Look on the BBC if England stick a ton on them, only for the Kiwi-Born Greek Captain to be interviewed afterwards.
Scotland have 85% heritage players and should be able to keep Australia "honest" as Ireland did in 2013 and remember the Bravehearts certainly scared the Kiwis back then too.

My concern is that we get a few blow outs and it'll just add fuel to the flames on sites like the BBC where we defend our game and the trolls goad us. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Damien said:

I wouldn't say relying on an echo chamber in a forum with a core of perhaps 30 or so other people, mainly older people at that,

I will have you know that I am one of the youngest members of my crown green bowling club.

• Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 09/10/2022 at 20:51, Londonbornirishbred said:

Here's to a fantastic competition with hopefully competitive games and no "blow out" hammerings. In terms of the "heritage" issue, it's one that RL will always face and doesn't impact on the sport in a negative way. As my username indicates, I have no problem in sounding like Ray Winstone when I talk and cheering very loudly for any team in Green and I doubt any of the players pulling on their "national" shirt will feel anything other than pride.

I have a sneaky feeling that this might just be England's year!

6 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Have you seen the draw?

England is playing Greece.

Australia is playing Scotland.

and Tonga is playing Wales.

As a sport we need to he confident enough to recognise all the skillful and athletic tries that will come from these games.

Other sports use big scores in tournaments like this to shout about the excellence of the best teams.  We are embarrassed by it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

24 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

As a sport we need to he confident enough to recognise all the skillful and athletic tries that will come from these games.

Other sports use big scores in tournaments like this to shout about the excellence of the best teams.  We are embarrassed by it.

I don't think there is any need to be embarrassed  by it. Its just part of running a League tournament with more than about 8 countries. I like the colour and variety a lot of these teams bring. 

The previous poster said he hoped there would be " no blow out hammerings" 

I am just priming him that there almost certainly will be. England's youth team just pasted Scotland on the weekend. What do you think the Roos will do to them!

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Londonbornirishbred said:

Scotland have 85% heritage players and should be able to keep Australia "honest" as Ireland did in 2013 and remember the Bravehearts certainly scared the Kiwis back then 

Your concern is fair, but if we want to have a tournament with a bit of size, blow outs are happening I'm afraid. I like the larger tournament format, and we are very slowly seeing growth in the number of competitive teams thanks to the huge numbers of Pasifika players in the NRL. 

I am guessing you didn't see the state of Scotland's team on the weekend? They looked like a League 1 side, playing against a bunch of hungry young professionals (plus a guy from Featherstone who ran them ragged). Australia will run right over the top of them, as long as they take it remotely seriously!

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 23:24, Londonbornirishbred said:

Scotland have 85% heritage players and should be able to keep Australia "honest" as Ireland did in 2013 and remember the Bravehearts certainly scared the Kiwis back then too.

"Keep them Honest"? 😆

How did that work out? 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Not sure why people get so bothered about trolls on the BBC. They are all driving up traffic, regardless of how clever they think they are. 

But the poster 'vichy' absolutely needs medical help. Sad sad case. 

Think he has finally been banned mate - back under a new name though.

Says he comes on here so is just obsessed with hating RL for some reason.

The BBC HYS is toxic though - brings out the worst in society. 

6 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Think he has finally been banned mate - back under a new name though.

Says he comes on here so is just obsessed with hating RL for some reason.

The BBC HYS is toxic though - brings out the worst in society. 

Yes I tend to ignore it as there is very rarely any reasonable discussion. Even RU fans who come on to be complimentary to RL end up getting insulted and probably think "why bother"? 

That Vichy though (and I know they will be reading this) is one sad individual, almost off the scale and is clearly unbalanced mentally. Hope he/she gets help. 

• Like 1