BBC HYS- Trolling.

Just been back to the HYS comments for the England v Fiji match on the 'Latest' setting. Probably 50/50 trolling/derision/hate etc. What's that about? Do people troll Field Hockey or Basket Ball? What is it that energises these people to such efforts? Is this even odd or is it just 'normal'? To me it seems a bit strange. 

• Like 5

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

1 minute ago, corvusxiii said:

Just been back to the HYS comments for the England v Fiji match on the 'Latest' setting. Probably 50/50 trolling/derision/hate etc. What's that about? Do people troll Field Hockey or Basket Ball? What is it that energises these people to such efforts? Is this even odd or is it just 'normal'? To me it seems a bit strange. 

There are a couple of issues. 

Firstly, even RL fans can seem like haters at times. 

And despite the regular claims, there is still a fair amount of hatred and snobbery from some in Union quarters. Thankfully many will be dying out, but as we see in general, snobbery and looking down their nose at people is fashionable for a certain type of person. 

• Like 7

We don’t help ourselves as a sport and regularly find a way to not cover ourselves in glory and the Rimmer sweep under the carpet combined with the “Englishness” of Dom Young has led to a real terrible week for the game, though, through the size of the sport, it’s not as big news as it could/should have been. 

Rugby League fans are amongst the most negative of all sports, I find. People are negative or pessimistic about the club(s) they support but I’ve never known a sport to have as much negativity and division as rugby league. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

We don’t help ourselves as a sport and regularly find a way to not cover ourselves in glory and the Rimmer sweep under the carpet combined with the “Englishness” of Dom Young has led to a real terrible week for the game, though, through the size of the sport, it’s not as big news as it could/should have been. 

Rugby League fans are amongst the most negative of all sports, I find. People are negative or pessimistic about the club(s) they support but I’ve never known a sport to have as much negativity and division as rugby league. 

Everything has to be so profound I find. It was a comments section under a decent warm up win for England, yet it goes into the history of the WC, the heritage players, and so on. 

People should just get on with enjoying it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

There are a couple of issues. 

Firstly, even RL fans can seem like haters at times. 

And despite the regular claims, there is still a fair amount of hatred and snobbery from some in Union quarters. Thankfully many will be dying out, but as we see in general, snobbery and looking down their nose at people is fashionable for a certain type of person. 

Do we think these are primarily Rah Rahs then? That makes more sense I suppose. What's it like on their HYS? Too lazy to find out for myself.

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

1 minute ago, corvusxiii said:

Do we think these are primarily Rah Rahs then? That makes more sense I suppose. What's it like on their HYS? Too lazy to find out for myself.

Not necessarily, a lot of the comments are seemingly casual RL fans just moaning. But you do tend to get some general fans posting in there. 

It's an odd hobby I find, commenting on niche discussions on sports you don't care for. 

• Like 2

You only have to look at this forum and the amount of new posters that seem uncannily the same as previous ones. People obviously have nothing better to do.

There are without doubt RU trolls who are obviously that insecure about their own sport that they feel like they need to do this. What is more bizarre and telling are RL fans that revel in knocking the game and seem like they don't actually want it to succeed and take off. These two groups often post in very similar ways which is just weird.

• Like 7

To be honest (and this is 100% genuine), I feel sorry for them.  What kind of an existence must they have where their pleasure comes from trying to bring down the fans of a sport that they don't like. 

They will get a sense of achievement when they draw out an interaction - particularly a comment from someone defending the sport as they know they had got a reaction.  As with anyone who craves attention, ignoring them is the best policy... any interaction feeds them.

It is all so sad, is that really going to be the crowning achievement they reflect upon in their twilight years. 

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Same old posters spewing lots of anti league vitriol, I generally ignore them, they feed off posters taking them on. BBC rarely removes or bans trolls but if you read a union hys they are more negative about their own sport and players than we are. 

• Like 2

I got the impression that these trolls were general sports fans rather than Rah Rahs. I've no idea why. It would be interesting to know their allegiances/backgrounds etc, but Yes, no down ticks, no replies. Nowt.

• Like 2

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

16 minutes ago, Damien said:

You only have to look at this forum and the amount of new posters that seem uncannily the same as previous ones. People obviously have nothing better to do.

There are without doubt RU trolls who are obviously that insecure about their own sport that they feel like they need to do this. What is more bizarre and telling are RL fans that revel in knocking the game and seem like they don't actually want it to succeed and take off. These two groups often post in very similar ways which is just weird.

As a follower of both sports, RU fans are far more complimentary about RL than the other way around. 

In fact, many RL fans hate RL. 

There's contention about the IMG deal, there's contention about the Heartlands .vs. Expansion, there's contention about the NRL, there's contention about the RFL and how they run things and there's contention about the international game.

Rugby League as a sport is held back by its own infighting.

• Like 8

RL vs RU vs other sports vs regionalism / tribalism blah blah blah.

The internet is just the vehicle for the extremist minority (on all sides) to vent their anger and frustration without direct confrontation. It’s no different than other cultural battles that take place online, the generational woke versus baby boomer arguments, lefties vs righties, Brexit versus Remainers. And so on.

The difference these days is that there is a way to clandestinely engage with your opposite number. In the old days you’d just diss your opposition over a beer with like-minded friends.

Back in the real world, the majority of us (no matter what our beliefs) tend to just get on with it and tolerate each other. Will it remain this way with the direction society is heading? Possibly not, as history suggests civilisations go through cycles, and we’re close to the end of this one. While that sounds a bit miserable, on the positive side RL will probably be the sport of choice for an ideological revolution. Swings and roundabouts as they say.. 🙃

Edited by Desert Skipper
  • Like 4

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

12 minutes ago, SB1 said:

As a follower of both sports, RU fans are far more complimentary about RL than the other way around. 

In fact, many RL fans hate RL. 

There's contention about the IMG deal, there's contention about the Heartlands .vs. Expansion, there's contention about the NRL, there's contention about the RFL and how they run things and there's contention about the international game.

Rugby League as a sport is held back by its own infighting.

I didn't really believe this argument from earlier in this thread but ....the same point again!

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.

This is a regular occurrence that stretches back decades. RU fans come on a goad troll (whatever) RL.

Ironically RU never been in more of a muddle- dementia causing fatties, endless ‘box’ kicking, billion substitutes (sorry finishers), covid money going missing, without even touching their long back book…

Only way to deal is to fight fire with fire. If off topic - report and get it removed, otherwise just point out Ray failings and how it follows RL at every single step of the way…

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

That may be your experience but it's certainly not mine.

RU fans complimentary about RL - are you having a laugh?????

RU has done nothing but try to kill off RL for past 100 years. Just go look at the bile on BBC site…

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

RL vs RU vs other sports vs regionalism / tribalism blah blah blah.

The internet is just the vehicle for the extremist minority (on all sides) to vent their anger and frustration without direct confrontation. It’s no different than other cultural battles that take place online, the generational woke versus baby boomer arguments, lefties vs righties, Brexit versus Remainers. And so on.

The difference these days is that there is a way to clandestinely engage with your opposite number. In the old days you’d just diss your opposition over a beer with like-minded friends.

Back in the real world, the majority of us (no matter what our beliefs) tend to just get on with it and tolerate each other. Will it remain this way with the direction society is heading? Possibly not, as history suggests civilisations go through cycles, and we’re close to the end of this one. While that sounds a bit miserable, on the positive side RL will probably be the sport of choice for an ideological revolution. Swings and roundabouts as they say.. 🙃

Don’t forget RU got RL banned in Unis, the police, armed forces, they’ve opposed us every step of the way…

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Damien said:

That may be your experience but it's certainly not mine.

Seems to vary but round here I've only ever come across people being incredibly complimentary about league - and that's including conversations about it in RU clubhouses.

Regards trolling: it's dull. And it's just as tiresome when you see someone under an RU match report going, "Oh, is this about union, I thought it was rugby."

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Pie tries said:

RU has done nothing but try to kill off RL for past 100 years. Just go look at the bile on BBC site…

Maybe in the 'amateur' years and a few years post professionalism, but much less so now. The chip on shoulder some RL carry is very sad. And let's be honest, RL can kill itself off without the help of other. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Again, i'm a follower of both codes. Played and watched union first but now go and watch live league. I enjoy both games and with league I'm looking forward to what IMG bring to the table. 

I get there's history between the sports but to me that's it, it's history. Does it have to be about us and them? To me, no. 

Neither sport gets things right all the time but I prefer to look forward and to the future of both games than keep looking back. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Phil W said:

Again, i'm a follower of both codes. Played and watched union first but now go and watch live league. I enjoy both games and with league I'm looking forward to what IMG bring to the table. 

I get there's history between the sports but to me that's it, it's history. Does it have to be about us and them? To me, no. 

Neither sport gets things right all the time but I prefer to look forward and to the future of both games than keep looking back. 

I'm still struggling to see the trolls motivation to comment on a sport they don't like and simply bait something that is in  their eyes 'worthless'. I just don’t have the energy to do this though I can be very chippy indeed when provoked. 

Is it more a personality thing than a particular anti League thing?

• Like 1

TESTICULI AD  BREXITAM.