37 of 42 back IMG’s proposal

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

If they care to push then club chairmen can readily find out the state of play - I'm sure he talks to his chairman but does he get the right answers?

I'm sure you're correct on this but RL fans don't tend to like being mushrooms.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

5 hours ago, RigbyLuger said:

What info does he want exactly that he needs while preparing for the 2023 season?

If you feel deprived of data the likelihood is anything that indicates action and progress.

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

I'm sure you're correct on this but RL fans don't tend to like being mushrooms.

True, but he isn't speaking as a fan, is he?

Our mushroom status does generally apply to the finances of our own clubs, after all, if we were genuinely interested in learning the truth.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

1 hour ago, Blind side johnny said:

True, but he isn't speaking as a fan, is he?

Our mushroom status does generally apply to the finances of our own clubs, after all, if we were genuinely interested in learning the truth.

The question is of a lack of communication, whoever that applies to.

The finances of our sides would always be a bit of a mystery. Though I have seen posters on some sites saying the data is available.

17 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Indeed. It just amuses me that Steve thinks that, given that's the commercial model, IMG have delivered one press release on a possible grading system and then decided to take the rest of the year off. 

Well to all those eagerly awaiting any additional information that seems to be the case Bronco.

I am totally intrigued by it all there are those like yourself who have taken the bait and swallowed the hook, and on the other hand those like Steve who are dismissive of any improvements that will come about with IMG's involvement, is either of you eventually going to be totally embarrassed by nailing (another nautical term) your colours to your preferred mast, well only time will tell.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well to all those eagerly awaiting any additional information that seems to be the case Bronco.

I am totally intrigued by it all there are those like yourself who have taken the bait and swallowed the hook, and on the other hand those like Steve who are dismissive of any improvements that will come about with IMG's involvement, is either of you eventually going to be totally embarrassed by nailing (another nautical term) your colours to your preferred mast, well only time will tell.

Great false equivalence there Harry, you're as hilarious as Steve

- I'm optimistic, and believe this approach will give us a better outcome than the slow, painful decline we've had over the last decade

- On the flip-side Steve thinks they came in, made one announcement, and have then decided to take the next 12 years off

Now it's very possible that despite my optimism time will prove me wrong. But I think it's absolutely certain that Steve already is. So yeah, just the same... but whatever floats your boat!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I'm in the ''We'll wait and see'' camp Harry.

I think it's a bit early to judge and be nailing our colours to our masts.

My mood however, is one of cautious optimism.

One thing's for certain, it won't be difficult for them to outdo the last bloke we had in there, taking a million out in wages for ''nothing in return''. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am totally intrigued by it all there are those like yourself who have taken the bait and swallowed the hook, and on the other hand those like Steve who are dismissive of any improvements that will come about with IMG's involvement, .......only time will tell.

There are indeed two polar views Harry, one person's view carries those silly Emoji based digs, so I'm not going there.

My view is based, like yours is, on  many years of following the game, which have seen us making various attempts to break free from the M62 or at least boost our presence and standing across these heartlands. Literally decades of attempts to do this, all ran into the reality that Soccer became king over 100 years ago, and Union successfully hung onto their dominance outside Yorkshire and Lancashire. 

We all want the game to expand, but the real task is survival, and the possible loss of a decent paying TV contract is a very serious threat indeed after well over 20 years of SKY showcasing the game nationally. Primarily that is IMG's remit. For me the "grading" excercise is based on ensuring our biggest clubs don't slip from their current standings as these are the clubs that attract the best audiences whether on SKY or at the grounds. 

My view is IMG were asked to do this to avoid arguments (which so far do not appear to have happened), and have delivered and gone. For me I feel going forward they do not have the key to expanding our geographical spread, or boost the businesses of the clubs themselves. Something so many of us may dream of which is fair enough, but if people  believe we will really go on to make great strides, then can they kindly set out what the opportunities are and how would we get there?........
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, steve oates said:
My view is IMG were asked to do this to avoid arguments (which so far do not appear to have happened), and have delivered and gone.

Right. I'm going to keep this simple.

You can't have a view like this because it goes against actual fact.

IMG have neither delivered - because it's still in development - nor gone - because they are still involved.

You might as well write, "In my view, gravity is made of onions."

And, no, that's not censorship or whatever else might be claimed. Opposing views are always fun to debate. But when you completely ignore facts then it gets a little tedious.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

This is classic RL stuff. Everything has to be tribal and you either love everything about it or you hate it all. There appears to be little interest by some in discussing the nuances of this kind of thing. 

As a principle, I'm supportive of bringing in a partner with substantial expertise that we don't have in the sport who have a purpose of increasing the value of the sport in the UK. I don't see how anyone can really be against that, but fair enough, some will be. 

We will all disagree on the type of initiatives delivered and approach taken, but the principle of working with experts is a sound one imo. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Great false equivalence there Harry, you're as hilarious as Steve

- I'm optimistic, and believe this approach will give us a better outcome than the slow, painful decline we've had over the last decade

- On the flip-side Steve thinks they came in, made one announcement, and have then decided to take the next 12 years off

Now it's very possible that despite my optimism time will prove me wrong. But I think it's absolutely certain that Steve already is. So yeah, just the same... but whatever floats your boat!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You don't take very well to people questioning your opinion do you, you remind me of a kid that got all is own way growing up and still wants it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

IMG may well have the expertise to benefit our game. Only time will tell. Is it just me that's surprised they have multiple pictures of a certain individual recently released from prison plastered all over their own website? 

https://img.com/expertise/media/

Edited by Roughyed Rats

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

You don't take very well to people questioning your opinion do you, you remind me of a kid that got all is own way growing up and still wants it.

I’m quite comfortable with it Harry, you just don’t like my communication style in response is all. Which is fine. All part of life’s rich pageant.

By the way I can assure you that I had very little growing up, wouldn’t have dared ask for much, and clawed my way to everything I have. So if you’re moving into psychoanalysis I wouldn’t give up the day job mate 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

2 hours ago, steve oates said:

My view is IMG were asked to do this to avoid arguments (which so far do not appear to have happened), and have delivered and gone. For me I feel going forward they do not have the key to expanding our geographical spread, or boost the businesses of the clubs themselves. Something so many of us may dream of which is fair enough, but if people  believe we will really go on to make great strides, then can they kindly set out what the opportunities are and how would we get there?........

IMG have actually provided a huge amount of detail on why they’re involved, what their vision is, and how they intend to execute. I accept they’ve not popped round your house to brief you personally, but I promise the info’s there if you’re interested.

There’s no guarantee it’s going to work, like anything, but I think it’s worth a go. Here’s Adam Kelly, the President of IMG Media, talking in detail on a recent Podcast for example…

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/up268-img-wtf/id1459630823?i=1000579332881

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

"The Yorkshire Post understands that IMG will formally brief clubs at a meeting in early March to ensure the start of the new season is not overshadowed."

Surprisingly sensible.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

"The Yorkshire Post understands that IMG will formally brief clubs at a meeting in early March to ensure the start of the new season is not overshadowed."

Surprisingly sensible.

Almost as if they understand and value media narratives and image! Shock!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

IMG have actually provided a huge amount of detail on why they’re involved, what their vision is, and how they intend to execute. I accept they’ve not popped round your house to brief you personally, but I promise the info’s there if you’re interested.

There’s no guarantee it’s going to work, like anything, but I think it’s worth a go. Here’s Adam Kelly, the President of IMG Media, talking in detail on a recent Podcast for example…

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/up268-img-wtf/id1459630823?i=1000579332881

I hear quite a lot of marketing-speak and nice buzzwords there, their problem is going to be how to make a regional M62 league with one or two add-ons further afield appealing to the new audience required to underwrite an increase in the value of TV rights and sponsorships.  They'll find that one very tough nut to crack.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I hear quite a lot of marketing-speak and nice buzzwords there, their problem is going to be how to make a regional M62 league with one or two add-ons further afield appealing to the new audience required to underwrite an increase in the value of TV rights and sponsorships.  They'll find that one very tough nut to crack.

Not an easy project, I agree. Certainly harder than Euroleague basketball.

I forgive them the jargon because I work in a marketing world and he's talking on a sports marketing podcast, but 100% know what you mean and communicating like that wouldn't wash with a general audience (but does make sense there). If you translate it though, he's talking about doing all of the right micro things, and clearly understands the landscape we're competing in. Rugby League's problem for the last decade is we've lacked people in the organisation who understood this stuff, understandably because we don't have the budget to afford them. That's meant commercially we've been bringing a sword to a gun fight. Now we've got a bazooka. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

This is classic RL stuff. Everything has to be tribal and you either love everything about it or you hate it all.

Not at all Dave. I have been trying to pick out what is good for the game as opposed to which bits might be suspect.

I have said that:  IMG will succeed, but I suspect the categories  from the outset, that I'm sure they're doing something behind their momentary silence but it's hard to see what it is and that I am very cynical about both the role of the top clubs and their intentions and finally that 12 years in this sport doesn't seem a long enough commitment. This last bit seems especially true given the fight that RL has to be allowed to join others at the table.

5 hours ago, steve oates said:

My view is based, like yours is, on  many years of following the game

I see you've incurred the we don't mind views but we mind yours theme.

Having any sort of view is a risky undertaking on social media at the best of times and it seems even more uphill on a TGG forum.

And right on cue

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/img-wait-set-to-go-on-with-key-meeting-over-grading-criteria-scheduled-for-march-3986211

Could it be we'll get to the end of the year and all we'll have to show is criteria and categories.

"Man the lifeboats!"

Just now, Oxford said:

And right on cue

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/img-wait-set-to-go-on-with-key-meeting-over-grading-criteria-scheduled-for-march-3986211

Could it be we'll get to the end of the year and all we'll have to show is criteria and categories.

"Man the lifeboats!"

Didn't bother to read the posts where this has already been linked?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2