1. 1. Who will win?

• Jamaica by 13 points or more
    • Jamaica by 7 to 12 points
    • Jamaica by 1 to 6 points
    • Ireland by 1 to 6 points
    • Ireland by 7 to 12 points
    • Ireland by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/10/22 at 16:30

Chamberlain in at the corner  after more Keary one handed play.

Chamberlain kick strikes the post again 18-0

Edited by Irish Saint

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

22 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Yes it is scary, and it could create a very bad look over the next couple of weeks.  One wonders why they stuck with the same ticket prices.

@Dave T and others can ridicule my suggestion of that being because of the pressure from the government "to do all the right things" which Jon Dutton mentioned, but I note that none of my detractors have been able to suggest another reason why someone familiar with the "RL family" and its ways would have done as he's done.

The obvious answer is Dutton ain't very good. He's displayed this before. 

11 minutes ago, Irish Saint said:

Great defensive effort from Jamaica there.

They're outgunned but you can't fault their effort and commitment.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Just now, ShropshireBull said:

Ok Jam arent going to win but they are definitely a market and brand we can build with lots of goodwill for them outside the sport.

mid season knights game and one of the other tier 2 home nations to keep them ticking over.

Yes, Jamaica need to play more tests.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

20 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

We may not see a close game until TON-PNG. It's a bit disappointing. 

That should have been today in my opinion. It was always one of the standouts from the group stages and that would have ensured strong games on both the Saturday and Sunday on national TV. As is it'll be on BBC3 on Tuesday and won't get the audience it deserves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hughsehhh said:

The pricing strategy was probably agreed way ahead of the cost of living crisis and war in Ukraine tbf

I'm sure. But you can't tell me this match is a £35/seat event, in a sport where people get nosebleeds when prices crack the £25 mark for a club they actually support. World Cups are about creating a festival of the sport, celebrating the talent, stories and most importantly engaging new audiences. The comp has two products to do that with:

1) True major event games, with either the home nation or at least an elite nation in a competitive game. Sell these as the premium events they are. Even Aus vs. Fiji where the result is pre-known fits this category. 

2) Low cost "give it a go" product sampling exercises, to build profile. Everything that doesn't involve one of England, Australia or New Zealand (and even their games where obvious mismatches) is in this second category.  That's 80% of group games. 

You can tell the organisers know this because some games are cheaper. But not cheap enough to pass the "why not?" test you need in order to get samplers. 

That said, as ever the product on show today is great and I'm enjoying the match. But then I already knew it would be, and I'm not its target. 

• Like 5

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Enjoyable stuff. We are going to get a few blowouts but definitely think the secondary teams will get stronger provided they are given regular games.

The problem is giving them regular games. Would USA and Canada be competitive if Jamaica have their full squad? Ideally you'd like to see them play some good matches in Jamaica to promote the sport more.

2 minutes ago, NW10LDN said:

The problem is giving them regular games. Would USA and Canada be competitive if Jamaica have their full squad? Ideally you'd like to see them play some good matches in Jamaica to promote the sport more.

The only pathway (considering traveling costs, etc.) would be test matches with domestic players in Jam and with England based players in Europe. 

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

That should have been today in my opinion. It was always one of the standouts from the group stages and that would have ensured strong games on both the Saturday and Sunday on national TV. As is it'll be on BBC3 on Tuesday and won't get the audience it deserves.

Good point , I agree that looks a standout fixture ideal for this slot

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Is there a reason why we've gone for back to back games in Leeds and Newcastle this weekend? 

I think both came about from other venues becoming available but agree that this has been a poor quirk of the scheduling.

The atmosphere in the ground is not bad at all but most neutrals in and around Leeds will have preferred last night's game.

As mentioned Jamaica have given it their all and Golding has been all over the place. The winger Agoro, who I think is at Keighley, has had a very good game too. His centre, Johnson, looks like he has been at the pies leaving Ireland with an overlap every time they go down that side.

Ireland have a very credible spine and I would have thought were in with a chance v Lebanon.

Edited by Just Browny

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I though this match had £20 and up tickets, not starting at £35.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I think both came about from other venues becoming available but agree that this has been a poor quirk of the scheduling.

The atmosphere in the ground is not bad at all but most neutrals in and around Leeds will have preferred last night's game.

As mentioned Jamaica have given it their all and Golding has been all over the place. The winger Agoro, who I think is at Keighley, has had a very good game too. His centre, Johnson, looks like he has been at the pies leaving Ireland with an overlap every time they go down that side.

Ireland have a very credible spine and I would have thought were in with a chance v Lebanon.

Ireland vs Lebanon is gonna be the most important game in this group. Especially if the Lebanese are in form as they were in 2017 

3 minutes ago, St Reatham said:

I’m trying to be upbeat about the attendance and to remain positive, but I got so much stick in 2000 for trying to defend awful attendances. It feels like those ghosts are starting to haunt me again.

The crowd isn’t bad, they’re just rattling around in the wrong stadium the day after another match there. This would look a lot better at say York’s ground or dare I say in London or even (left field) Reading which has a large Irish and West Indian community. 

Edited by EssexRL
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, EssexRL said:

The crowd isn’t bad, they’re just rattling around in the wrong stadium the day after another match there. This would look a lot better at say York’s ground or dare I say in London or even (left field) Reading which has a large Irish and West Indian community. 

Reading is too big. QPR on a Saturday afternoon would've been perfect for Jamaica v NZ.