RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

5 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

Damien , I don’t think it’s fair to say we are knocking it . It’s reasonable to be skeptical due to the duplicity the organisers have shown . And secondly it’s not that great that we can’t after years of hosting RL world cups , Against decent exiting opposition , with the biggest ever funding of an event , sell this out !!!!! . We got roughly the same in 2013 vs France and 25k for a group game v Ireland with no central funding and nothing like the number of people behind the scenes . It’s Ok but calling it a triumph is downgrading where our sport should be . christ NFL get 80K in the UK regularly to watch utter dross that’s also on live TV and we want to be happy with just over 20k for the National team in a World Cup . 

30 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Hang on, so we were told that it was 10k at Coventry, but we sold 13k, but we don't announce no shows. 

And then they sold 11k for the women's game, but announced as 8k because we don't count no shows. 

And now we claim this is 23.1k and people are saying its fine because we count no shows. 

IMG_20221105_143831_copy_1824x840_copy_912x420.jpg.326b2dcadde7d8d7c30dc72f9d5217ba.jpg

Dave I was there today and the 23k looked about right. At various times when the rain swept into the seats plenty of fans stood in the concourse drinking and watch on the screens. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Dave I was there today and the 23k looked about right. At various times when the rain swept into the seats plenty of fans stood in the concourse drinking and watch on the screens. 

That's my photo. 

6 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

Damien , I don’t think it’s fair to say we are knocking it . It’s reasonable to be skeptical due to the duplicity the organisers have shown . And secondly it’s not that great that we can’t after years of hosting RL world cups , Against decent exiting opposition , with the biggest ever funding of an event , sell this out !!!!! . We got roughly the same in 2013 vs France and 25k for a group game v Ireland with no central funding and nothing like the number of people behind the scenes . It’s Ok but calling it a triumph is downgrading where our sport should be . christ NFL get 80K in the UK regularly to watch utter dross that’s also on live TV and we want to be happy with just over 20k for the National team in a World Cup . 

Your reply is conflating various debates. My post was regarding complaints about the given attendance. As someone who has been at the DW countless times, and have been at various 20k games, I have zero doubt that todays crowd was 20k+. It certainly wasn't as outrageous a given attendance as some are trying to make out. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

Thank goodness someone is willing to say it.

For a world cup quarter final, against an attractive PNG side (whom we never see in Europe) at Wigan (the capital of rugby league in England) it is fair to say that demand for tickets should dramatically exceed supply.

1 minute ago, Madrileño said:

Thank goodness someone is willing to say it.

For a world cup quarter final, against an attractive PNG side (whom we never see in Europe) at Wigan (the capital of rugby league in England) it is fair to say that demand for tickets should dramatically exceed supply.

This is my point . We shouldn’t get excited about 20k at Wigan for this fixture, should have sold out as soon as we knew England were there . 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That's my photo. 

It maybe but thats only a picture at that second, I have no problem with the quoted crowd today. If you had taken it when the anthem was being sung it probably would have most fans in their seats. 

1 minute ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

It maybe but thats only a picture at that second, I have no problem with the quoted crowd today. If you had taken it when the anthem was being sung it probably would have most fans in their seats. 

No. That's how that stand was. 

Just now, Dave T said:

No. That's how that stand was. 

Maybe I need to go to specsavers because it looked okay to me. (on a side issue I know this is an attendance thread but its more depressing for me how much time and effort fans put into posting on crowds. Yes you should always try to maximise your crowds but this thread is like an addiction for quite a few posters.). 

I would also add, I have no problem with them announcing 23k. I've always had no issue with us including no-shows. It's been clear they have done that in this world cup. 

But I do question them announcing the crowd at Leeds the other day and explicitly saying they are not including no shows. And claims that Coventry sold 13k but they announced 10. 

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

Your reply is conflating various debates. My post was regarding complaints about the given attendance. As someone who has been at the DW countless times, and have been at various 20k games, I have zero doubt that todays crowd was 20k+. It certainly wasn't as outrageous a given attendance as some are trying to make out. 

I accept your points . And apologise if I do shoot about areas of the debate . I think though as we stand today the success of this tournament can be judged by the fact this thread still exists.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I would also add, I have no problem with them announcing 23k. I've always had no issue with us including no-shows. It's been clear they have done that in this world cup. 

But I do question them announcing the crowd at Leeds the other day and explicitly saying they are not including no shows. And claims that Coventry sold 13k but they announced 10. 

I agree it ws strange 

3 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Maybe I need to go to specsavers because it looked okay to me. (on a side issue I know this is an attendance thread but its more depressing for me how much time and effort fans put into posting on crowds. Yes you should always try to maximise your crowds but this thread is like an addiction for quite a few posters.). 

It's just a thread on an RL forum. It takes little to no effort. 

The crowd is what it is, it looked good on telly and it's probay in line with expectations, maybe a bit better. 

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

Seems like a lot of people on here are getting worked up about not selling out..... but didn't go to the match themselves. Only happy when they arnt happy.

All I saw today was a great performance and a Record QF crowd.

I’m at Hull tonight, Leeds next week and old Trafford the week after , I’ve seen 5 group games , I feel I’ve done my but and warrant an opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Wasn't aware of those statements for Coventry & Leeds.  I'd agree we need consistency, but go the other way and would stick to sales because that's practice for most sports (so giving lower figure makes us look worse by comparison) and as far as I know many venues can't give a reliable count (at least Old Trafford couldn't a few years ago).

4 minutes ago, Griff said:

I don't know why we bother with results of the games.

People are far more interested in attendances.

As I discussed earlier this is the entertainment industry attendances and atmosphere DO matter . They also work as a barometer for the health of the game . 

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

You were saying?

I swear some on here actually want the crowds to be poor

I met up with a few mates to watch this game in the town centre, three of them are RL followers two of them have never watched a full match of RL. The three regular fans of the game spent 80mins slating the match, and the turnout and the whole of the RLWC. The two who knew nothing about the game loved it, they said “they might come to a match next season”. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I just finished watching the game on catch-up and figured this thread would be in overdrive 😂 

I give the organisers a C+ for not filling a stadium of that size, for a game which included the host nation, where the result had the consequences it did.

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Wasn't aware of those statements for Coventry & Leeds.  I'd agree we need consistency, but go the other way and would stick to sales because that's practice for most sports (so giving lower figure makes us look worse by comparison) and as far as I know many venues can't give a reliable count (at least Old Trafford couldn't a few years ago).

I agree. If we've sold it, it counts as far as I'm concerned.