RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

38 minutes ago, Leonard said:

I am sure I saw mention of 20k sold - but have tried and cannot find the article.

So maybe I am conflating events and crowds. 

If it sold 25k to 30k and then Emirates 45k to 50k and a sold out OT.

That would be great.

It is worth noting that in 2013 the semi final got 70k+ in London. I understand it was a double header but I don’t think aus v Fiji address many fans . Needs to beat that comfortably  to be judged a success . Anything less than a sold out OT is a failure, we have yet to sell a ground out 

4 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

It is worth noting that in 2013 the semi final got 70k+ in London. I understand it was a double header but I don’t think aus v Fiji address many fans . Needs to beat that comfortably  to be judged a success . Anything less than a sold out OT is a failure, we have yet to sell a ground out 

Edited by philipw
Bold
  • Like 1

2 tickets booked for Elland Rd friday night. I know of a lot of lads going who havent been to a game yet.  Then Saturday morning setting off early 6 of us down to The Smoke for Englands game. 4 of that group havent been to game yet either. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, philipw said:

But importantly, plenty of them were locals. I remember the game being promoted by a pic of Boris Johnson (then mayor),  - I think it was labelled 'the big hit '? has anything similar been occuring this time? I hope so as the Emirates is a superb stadium and this great England side truly deserve a full house. 

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I made sure avanti had WiFi, don't worry. 

In all seriousness, 2hrs from Wire to Euston is superb. 

Yes - when they run.

Avanti wifi never works btw - so take carrier pigeons.

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

I can’t decide on Friday or Saturday! Or maybe both.

Tbh, when this was first announced a couple of years ago, Emirates was always one I fancied as I'd never been to the ground. I've been on/off with it all month for various reasons, but I'd have been gutted watching it on TV I think. 

15 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Let it go, chief. We’re watching some proper rugby here, not some here-today, gone-tomorrow novelty act.

That very poor attitude is exactly why there are attendance problems...some involved in the game refuse to evolve...sort of like the Neanderthals.

This is actually the great challenge our sport faces.

Thank You Man of Kent for clearly showing everyone where our game is lacking.

Thanks Again Old Chum!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, philipw said:

So based on the fact 9 years ago we drew this in London , and the pledge from  the organisers on my tickets of delivering A BIGGER BETTER WORLD CUP , a full house at emirates should be the absolute minimum we should be happy with 

28 minutes ago, Archie Gordon said:

Because it wouldn't have been true? We've had wheelchair games in London! 

I'm not sure why you're doubling down on this tbh.

I was trying to understand why you excluded one of the best events we have had in one of the 3 tournaments in a post about not taking games to London. Because then it becomes “if you ignore what they’ve done, they’ve done nothing” doesn’t it? Isn’t that insulting to the wheelchair tournament? Unless you were making some other point. 

I don’t particularly care, but I am interested in why you excluded those games. The event was bid for as a Northern powerhouse bid, so the answer to the spread of events is, I suspect, wrapped up in the bid. We down southers get a brilliant semi final and the copper box jamborees. That seems fine and dandy to me. 

13 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

That very poor attitude is exactly why there are attendance problems...some involved in the game refuse to evolve...sort of like the Neanderthals.

This is actually the great challenge our sport faces.

Thank You Man of Kent for clearly showing everyone where our game is lacking.

Thanks Again Old Chum!

Could not agree more. Dismissing one of the very few positive RL developments in some considerable time and then dancing round the corpse, shows a total lack of awareness. 

There again, this guy thinks half empty stadiums are just peripheral. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Masked Poster said:

Out of curiosity, how much did that cost you? 

£98. Plus a ticket at £34, £130 for a day trip isn't terrible. 

If I'd have been prepared to travel to Crewe there were trains for £46

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

That seems fine and dandy to me. 

Given this is an attendance thread, it would seem that it's not actually fine and dandy and we're going to be about 300,000 down against target and not beat the 2013 total.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Given this is an attendance thread, it would seem that it's not actually fine and dandy and we're going to be about 300,000 down against target and not beat the 2013 total.

Depends if you are looking at tickets vs revenues and what your preference is.

Not sure what 1m tickets equates to - but I think that would likely be every game sold out or to a substantial degree?

You can work back from there as to what was likely.

13 minutes ago, RL Tragic said:

So based on the fact 9 years ago we drew this in London , and the pledge from  the organisers on my tickets of delivering A BIGGER BETTER WORLD CUP , a full house at emirates should be the absolute minimum we should be happy with 

We should always look at things in context. Your over-arching point is right, but that has been and gone now, this won't break the record for men's RLWC. It is what it is. 

But England v Tonga/Samoa in London at the Emirates, 45k would be very good. 50k excellent, 60k outstanding. 

People still talk about the Golden days of the early 90s, we got 54k at Wembley versus the Aussies for an Ashes test. If we are anywhere around that, it shows how far we have come. 

• Like 1

Just now, Leonard said:

Depends if you are looking at tickets vs revenues and what your preference is.

Not sure what 1m tickets equates to - but I think that would likely be every game sold out or to a substantial degree?

That would be a revenue's thread surely 🤣

They had the aim of 750k when they had these prices. The price isn't new news. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I was trying to understand why you excluded one of the best events we have had in one of the 3 tournaments in a post about not taking games to London. Because then it becomes “if you ignore what they’ve done, they’ve done nothing” doesn’t it? Isn’t that insulting to the wheelchair tournament? Unless you were making some other point. 

I don’t particularly care, but I am interested in why you excluded those games. The event was bid for as a Northern powerhouse bid, so the answer to the spread of events is, I suspect, wrapped up in the bid. We down southers get a brilliant semi final and the copper box jamborees. That seems fine and dandy to me. 

I don't know how many times this needs repeating, but the NP funding was on the basis of 80% of games being in the Northern Powerhouse (which of course includes North Wales too). We have gone for well over 90% in the mens comp, with only 2 mens games outside that area, 3 rounds of Wheelchair double headers and no womens games outside it at all.

Of 61 matches across the 3 tournaments, only 8 (6 double header Wheelchair games) are outside Northern England. 87% are in the North because we have chosen so.

Edit: to add, I'm not actually even sure if the Wheelchair and Women's world cups were specifically included in that NP backing or whether it only applied to the mens.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

That would be a revenue's thread surely 🤣

They had the aim of 750k when they had these prices. The price isn't new news. 

We can move to the revenue thread after the final and when we speculate on results.

As I have already counted the seats for every game and in each stand - I'll whip up a spreadsheet of likely revenues based upon pricing - with a variance for seat movers.

Just now, Tommygilf said:

Didn't they originally aim for a million too, but revised that down...

They did but very quickly worked out that that was actually impossibke

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Taking 30 kids plus 7 adults to the Emirates semi-final

All of the above (bar myself) have never seen a live RL match, an I believe only a handful have ever seen a live RU match.

We’re travelling from our school in a leafy county in the west of England to be there and we cannot wait.

Most of these kids are cricket players (our village is rather prominent for that) or RU players. 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Leonard said:

If every WC game had an extra 5k in we'd add 150k to the number. I think that would have seen us beat the 2013 number, as well as the women's euros, approach 600k which would be very good growth and would have made most events far more positive experiences. Even though that wouldn't have hit the 750k, I think 600k could have absolutely been seen as good progress.