Ireland's Aussies being sent home early

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The truth is usually somewhere between the extremes we publicly hear. 

The failings are not managing the narrative. 

We have professionals for this. 

But ultimately, it isn't a good look to have players going home before knocked out, and whilst we are hearing a version of the truth that Jamaica have this wrong, the Ireland coach also spoke out on this. 

Either they went home early for a specific reason or not. 

I don't see a scenario where there is a halfway house in this instance.

3 hours ago, bobbruce said:

If Jamaica win by 7 Ireland would go through. Win by 6 and Ireland and Lebanon would be level on points not sure how it would be decided then. 

Points average is the next tiebreak.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Head to head I think, or Points for.

Points average - which means whoever has the lower points scored if your points difference is positive but the higher points scored if your points difference is negative.

Weird but true.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

Either they went home early for a specific reason or not. 

I don't see a scenario where there is a halfway house in this instance.

I don't know what this post means, so can't respond 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't know what this post means, so can't respond 

You said the truth was usually in between.

To my mind the scenarios logically available are:

1. The RLWC made the Irish Aussies go home early.

2. They did not.

I don't see an in between scenario.

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

You said the truth was usually in between.

To my mind the scenarios logically available are:

1. The RLWC made the Irish Aussies go home early.

2. They did not.

I don't see an in between scenario.

There are far more scenarios than that. 

Edited by Dave T

1 minute ago, LeeF said:

Or RLWC gave each country a certain amount to cover travel costs and RLI decided how to spend that allowance ?

Hookers and gin, and the rest they wasted?

• Haha 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Hookers and gin, and the rest they wasted?

That - and Keary hasn't got any money or they won't give him a per diem after tonight.

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Didn't the WC fund the travel for the SH teams in order to get them here?

Not particularly defending the decision, just saying that if you are paying you do have some say.

In that case all funding should be based on the end of the group stages, unless they planned on ireland being knocked out, which leads to more questions. 

All funded SH players knocked out go home at the same time, otherwise surely questions arise

• Like 5

Unless there’s been a schism in the camp and the Aussie players want to go home this is probably the most tin pot thing I’ve ever heard, even by RL standards. It’s embarrassing for the competition and the sport in the Northern Hemisphere in general, I hope the national media don’t get hold of it. 

• Like 1

I suspect the players concerned wanted to go home when they went home and if anyone was disrespecting Jamaica it was those individuals.

I would also not be at all surprised if the Irish RL would bend over backwards to satisfy the requests of its Aussie based players.

The one thing I would be surprised about is if the RLWC organisers had anything to do with organising flights home before group stages were complete.  It’s getting a bit silly blaming Dutton for everything that happens that we don’t like.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, BristolDevonCharlie said:

Seems Jermine Coleman has deleted his tweet, which suggests that perhaps Jamaica did get the wrong end of the stick and it was a RLI thing. 

Interesting how quickly some people jumped on Dutton on here. 

Dutton has hardly done anything to inspire confidence in his management of the world cup

• Like 1

I go back to my post 20hrs ago on this, we really need to be better at managing the narrative here. The tournament looks tinpot with actions like this, irrespective of who has booked the flights. 

We need to learn from this to have better protocols around things like this, because sponsors and partners expect better than this. 

It's a needless negative story knocking around. I understand we have to be careful with costs etc. but we need to be more careful with the brand. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

I suspect the players concerned wanted to go home when they went home and if anyone was disrespecting Jamaica it was those individuals.

I would also not be at all surprised if the Irish RL would bend over backwards to satisfy the requests of its Aussie based players.

The one thing I would be surprised about is if the RLWC organisers had anything to do with organising flights home before group stages were complete.  It’s getting a bit silly blaming Dutton for everything that happens that we don’t like.

I'd be surprised if the organisers didn't have anything to do with booking flights, the logistics is absolutely on them. 

Agree with your point about it being the players who are disrespecting anyone, but I'd be surprised if RLWC organisers had nowt to do with sorting flights. 

Edited by Dave T