Ireland's Aussies being sent home early

Mentioned on the NZ/Ireland game thread, but maybe needs one of its own.

It seems that the WC organisers are packing off Ireland's Aussie contingent today, but before they're officially eliminated.

Okay, it's unlikely that Jamaica will defeat Lebanon, but whilst there's still a chance the Irish squad should be kept together.

Who knows if Adam D and Mitch M pick up early knocks. 

What an embarrassment it would be for the sport.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Penny pinching. Dutton has messed this tournament up, and it's clearly not generating the gate receipts he expected, so the players get treated poorly. Anyone who employs Dutton after this is a fool.

• Like 5

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

15 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

Penny pinching. Dutton has messed this tournament up, and it's clearly not generating the gate receipts he expected, so the players get treated poorly. Anyone who employs Dutton after this is a fool.

The worst seats in all the stadiums should have been a fiver each, then after that slowly graduated prices to the best seats.

The 5er would get people in, but they would still get the bigger ticket sales.

As it is tickets start from 25 quid. That is more than SL prices to see a forgone conclusion. The ceremonies around the games are poor and could be a draw within themselves if done properly.

• Haha 2

Bet that's made them feel nice and valued, like a real part of the team. Be so much easier to get them to come over for future international tournaments now.

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Bet that's made them feel nice and valued, like a real part of the team. Be so much easier to get them to come over for future international tournaments now.

Yeah. It's fortunate we'll not be asking these guys to show up for another RLWC in Europe in the next couple of years.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, yipyee said:

The worst seats in all the stadiums should have been a fiver each, then after that slowly graduated prices to the best seats.

As it is tickets start from 25 quid. That is more than SL prices to see a forgone conclusion. The ceremonies around the games are poor and could be a draw within themselves if done properly.

Yup - they should play for you for free.

In fact - they should pay you money for doing them the favour of watching.

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

So you value watching international rugby league the same as a pint of lager (in a city)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Quotes from Luke Keary and Ged Cocoran confirming it here

Mmmm - it doesn't actually say whose decision it is.  

Though it's implied that it is the RLWC organisers.

Nothing new here, of course.  In 2013, Ireland flew from Limerick overnight, black to their training base in Preston, to find the Fijians drumming their fingers in frustration at being unable to take over their accommodation.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

9 minutes ago, RP London said:

They surely shouldn't be involved in that decision 

Didn't the WC fund the travel for the SH teams in order to get them here?

Not particularly defending the decision, just saying that if you are paying you do have some say.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

So you value watching international rugby league the same as a pint of lager (in a city)

Pricing is probably worth a thread of its own but you can get in most games for £20.21 (as an adult) which I reckon is more than reasonable.

Maybe some of the more expensive seats have been overpriced though.  Hard to say.  I've never been to some of these soccer grounds.

Edited by Griff
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Didn't the WC fund the travel for the SH teams in order to get them here?

Not particularly defending the decision, just saying that if you are paying you do have some say.

Airfare today is probably similar to airfare on Monday.

As for a couple of days debrief, are we trying to raise standards of Tier 2 countries or cutting costs by a few quid?

Let's decide.

Just now, Griff said:

Airfare today is probably similar to airfare on Monday.

As for a couple of days debrief, are we trying to raise standards of Tier 2 countries or cutting costs by a few quid?

Let's decide.

As I said, I am not defending the decision.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Ok, if I read through this thread, I have pointed out that the World Cup organisers can have a say in this if they are paying. 

I said this is not defending the decision but I think i sound clarify, I think it is an awful decision. 

Don't Jamaica need to win by 50 points?

Not quite sure their beef.

The use Coleman was at the Broncos - I don't buy he does any analysis.

Edited by Leonard