KPP & Pryce to NRL - Confirmed

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Anybody who is underestimating how significant announcements like this are becoming, isn't looking at the bigger picture. This isn't about 10-12 English lads testing their arm in the NRL - it's more that ambition for young talented players is now shifting and the NRL know it. 

But if you mention no salary cap, 90% of the posters will moan we need it to give (insert club with no chance of winning SL) a chance and we need to keep pay low across the board.

It's bonkers.

8 minutes ago, Leonard said:

But if you mention no salary cap, 90% of the posters will moan we need it to give (insert club with no chance of winning SL) a chance and we need to keep pay low across the board.

It's bonkers.

Tbf, I don't think there would. Very few, if any, are happy with how the cap works currently.

The dispute comes from when a change to the cap would guarantee their club would struggle to compete, whereas now there is an illusion of keeping the top dogs in reach.

It seems to be more of a club board complaint really.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf, I don't think there would. Very few, if any, are happy with how the cap works currently.

The dispute comes from when a change to the cap would guarantee their club would struggle to compete, whereas now there is an illusion of keeping the top dogs in reach.

It seems to be more of a club board complaint really.

Up their game then - don't worry about they shiny new things the neighbours have.

But that has been done to death on other threads. 

Fair play if players go for the money because they can't get it here.

5 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Up their game then - don't worry about they shiny new things the neighbours have.

But that has been done to death on other threads. 

Fair play if players go for the money because they can't get it here.

Absolutely, almost zero risk and potentially massive reward, realistic worst case scenario you go back home and get a Super League contract. Its a bit like Argentines and Brazillians moving to Europe as teens to play football in higher quality leagues, simple economic migration. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Feeder League.

To be fair I don't think either are a loss to SL. They haven't set the world alight and I think there are better players coming through.

Maybe shows the lack of talent coming through the NRL.

Good luck to them both but not a massive loss to SL.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

To be fair I don't think either are a loss to SL. They haven't set the world alight and I think there are better players coming through.

Maybe shows the lack of talent coming through the NRL.

Good luck to them both but not a massive loss to SL.

Thats a bit head in the sand mate

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

Thats a bit head in the sand mate

Maybe but I don't think many Hudds or Wigan fans are protesting about losing them.

Neither of them have set their teams alight. Both will probably play reserve grade in their first season over there and you can probably assume at least 1 of them will return to SL the following year. Just how it is but good luck to them.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Maybe but I don't think many Hudds or Wigan fans are protesting about losing them.

Neither of them have set their teams alight. Both will probably play reserve grade in their first season over there and you can probably assume at least 1 of them will return to SL the following year. Just how it is but good luck to them.

That's even worse if any player, let alone one who was playing for England at the World Cup, would choose an NRL reserve grade gig over Super League.

• Like 1

I don't think we need to be too worried about a young player drain just yet.

KPP and Pryce go in a year and over the last couple of years we have seen Dom Young, Bailey Hodgson and Harry Rushton go over and the latter is back with Huddersfield next year.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I wish Will all the luck in the world and hope he has the impact Dom has had.

I've watched Will's development from 15/16 through to the 1st team, he's an exciting excitable kid but he's still a lot to learn so hopefully the NRL system improves him, he has been very hit and miss for us so not an overly big miss and will also give the likes of Aidan McGowan and Kieran Rush a posible chance in the 1st team going forward.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I've watched Will's development from 15/16 through to the 1st team, he's an exciting excitable kid but he's still a lot to learn so hopefully the NRL system improves him, he has been very hit and miss for us so not an overly big miss and will also give the likes of Aidan McGowan and Kieran Rush a posible chance in the 1st team going forward.

Yup - it's a chance for someone else.

And possible we could have most of a 2025 & 2029 back line playing NRL regularly - if things go well.

Edited by Leonard

5 hours ago, Jughead said:

That’s not really a “feeder league”, then. 

KPP and Pryce, injury/suspension permitting, are going to have the best part of 100 appearances between them under their belts by the time they board a plane to Australia, not too dissimilar to James Bentley and Luke Hooley when stepping up to St Helens and Leeds. It’s the nature of the Rugby League transfer market and the pyramid of levels we have. 

Yeah and if anything, the NRL is Super Leagues ‘feeder’ league as there are circa 80 former NRL players currently in SL (with some of them being the very best players in our league).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I don't think we need to be too worried about a young player drain just yet.

KPP and Pryce go in a year and over the last couple of years we have seen Dom Young, Bailey Hodgson and Harry Rushton go over and the latter is back with Huddersfield next year.

Big year for Bailey Hodgson as I believe he’s out of contract next year. Especially considering the Knights have signed Pryce who plays the same position as him.

The Knights have a massive feeder system but have a shocking first team, and haven't unearthed many real gems for years. They've also got the lowest value for money 'marquee' player in the NRL in Ponga, who can barely string two consecutive games together and when he does often has little impact aside from  the odd flash of brilliance.

From their side this is an attempt to uncover some star quality at very low cost. Its a risk, but compared to the mega salaries the equivalent NRL players would require, its probably a bit of a no-brainer.

All signs point toward Kalyn Ponga moving to 6 next season, provided Hodgson finally stays fit and pending other signings he will definitely be in the frame to become the first-choice fullback throughout the 2023 season. It would seem Pryce is being sought to challenge for that fullback spot in 2024 as well given the Ponga move appears to be a permanent one.

I would be rather shocked if KPP isn't straight into the 17 and wouldn't be surprised if he is immediately starting on an edge.

If they come across with the same mentality that Dom has we'll be well set for the future.

9 hours ago, daz39 said:

and will also give the likes of Aidan McGowan and Kieran Rush a posible chance in the 1st team going forward.

I really like this part 1) because you could end up with two more blokes in Pryce and KPP that have experienced playing in the best comp in the world and will be pushing for spots at the next WC, and 2) young stars come over and other blokes, like the two you mention, get their chance.

14 hours ago, daz39 said:

McGowan has joined Batley on a season long loan.