NRLW eyeing up WC stars

Link

With next year's NRLW expanding by four clubs, the search for players is extending beyond Queensland and New South Wales, and plenty of players caught the eye at the recent WC.

This presents a great opportunity for some of the English and, excitingly, Brazilian players. Clearly WSL will take a hit, but given the level of interest shown during the WC the women's competition should still be able to move forward.

“I think there are probably half-a-dozen English players, or more, who could play in the NRLW,” said Cowboys coach Ben Jeffries, who was in charge of Papua New Guinea at the World Cup.

“The fullback Francesca Goldthorpe, their left winger Leah Bourke and their whole backrow of Hollie Dodd, Emily Rudge and Jodie Cunningham impressed me. Those three were real workers."

• Like 1

It's partly a question of visas. I think they would have no trouble getting visas to play in the NRLW if they had NRLW contracts but a lot of them would need to play in the State comps to nail down NRLW contracts so there's the cost of supporting yourself while you wait for that to (hopefully) happen.

They haven't released the NRLW 2023 draw yet so I don't know when it will start. The NSWRLW started at the end of April this year so some of these players might have to support themselves for 4 months before they even know whether they have NRLW deals.

8 hours ago, Farmduck said:

It's partly a question of visas. I think they would have no trouble getting visas to play in the NRLW if they had NRLW contracts but a lot of them would need to play in the State comps to nail down NRLW contracts so there's the cost of supporting yourself while you wait for that to (hopefully) happen.

They haven't released the NRLW 2023 draw yet so I don't know when it will start. The NSWRLW started at the end of April this year so some of these players might have to support themselves for 4 months before they even know whether they have NRLW deals.

Pretty sure the biggest hurdle for players is having to play for their nation first which all WC players have. 

NRLW contracts aren't full-time anyway so they're going to need jobs anyway.

new rise.jpg

7 hours ago, Pulga said:

Pretty sure the biggest hurdle for players is having to play for their nation first which all WC players have. 

Aren't they essentially full-time for about 8 weeks? 

Could work very nicely for any that see it as a working holiday.

8 hours ago, Pulga said:

Are the contracts full time within the length of the season or are they not even that much?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, langpark said:

Aren't they essentially full-time for about 8 weeks? 

Could work very nicely for any that see it as a working holiday.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Are the contracts full time within the length of the season or are they not even that much?

I'm not entirely sure but I don't think they are.

Even if that were the case imagine how hard it would be to find your regular employment with the stipulation of having the 8 weeks plus pre-season off. Not to mention they played two seasons this year plus the World Cup.

new rise.jpg

Plenty of English players in the Women's Big Bash, so in visa terms wouldn't this just be an extended version of that? 

In reality you're just talking about half a dozen of the best English players going over for about 4 months. The big issue for them will be can they get a release from their UK employers to do it? Some will, some won't I imagine. 

6 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I'm not entirely sure but I don't think they are.

I think the contracts are full-time for the duration of the season and pre-season.

9 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Even if that were the case imagine how hard it would be to find your regular employment with the stipulation of having the 8 weeks plus pre-season off. Not to mention they played two seasons this year plus the World Cup.

This is the most invidious and awkward part of growing the competition. More teams and a longer season means more time away from regular employment. With no serious prospect in sight of NRLW contracts providing sufficient income for a whole year. 

Only have to look across at the seething rancour among AFLW players this year to see where this could lead if the NRLW expands beyond the desire or capacity to adequately fund it.

4 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Plenty of English players in the Women's Big Bash, so in visa terms wouldn't this just be an extended version of that? 

In reality you're just talking about half a dozen of the best English players going over for about 4 months. The big issue for them will be can they get a release from their UK employers to do it? Some will, some won't I imagine. 

Bigger issue is English players heading over to Oz for pre-season towards the business end of WSL. 

Going to Australia for 4 or so months to play RL would be an unbelievable opportunity for any English player. I don't think there is any debate that the NRLW is streets ahead of the game in England so players going there can only help them in their development with knock on effects for the English game (hopefully).

45 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Bigger issue is English players heading over to Oz for pre-season towards the business end of WSL. 

If it becomes a regular thing, we'd clearly have to look at shifting the dates of the Women's Superleague, like in cricket where no one clashes with the Indian Premier League any more.

You just have to work round it when one competition is on another level financially. 

7 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

If it becomes a regular thing, we'd clearly have to look at shifting the dates of the Women's Superleague, like in cricket where no one clashes with the Indian Premier League any more.

You just have to work round it when one competition is on another level financially. 

Would the RFL be happy to schedule WSL as a feeder league for NRLW?

How would the clubs react? What happens to the bulk of WSL players who have no chance of playing NRLW?

Not practical.

21 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

It would certainly be helpful to see some level of coordination so players who would benefit from going to the NRLW could do so.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Would the RFL be happy to schedule WSL as a feeder league for NRLW?

How would the clubs react? What happens to the bulk of WSL players who have no chance of playing NRLW?

Not practical.

Then we might have to get used to the top English players not being around for the conclusion of the English season. 

Would it be a bad thing if the Women's Superleague ran from Jan to May anyway? It's basically amateur, and gives it bit of time on its own before the men's game starts to hog the attention. Might suit the clubs too, effectively extends the season that the club is playing games. 

Given the women's game is expanding rapidly from a low level, the calendar is evolving rather than fixed in stone. 

It really depends on how quickly NRLW grows, and what sort of money it pays. If it becomes serious business, then we'd want our best players there, and should work with them to achieve that. 

Excellent news - I hope this comes off because it would be a massive boost for us internationally and presents more opportunities that we could sell to female athletes.

Although every time I see a reference to Hollie Dodd I can't help but feel baffled at how sparingly she was used at the World Cup.

8 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

It really depends on how quickly NRLW grows, and what sort of money it pays. If it becomes serious business, then we'd want our best players there, and should work with them to achieve that. 

That would lengthen the odds of WSL becoming serious business.

Currently, Aussie women`s RL comprises State comps for most of the season and most of the players followed by NRLW for the elite.

A mutually propitious scheduling arrangement will have to involve us adopting a similar structure.

• Like 1

I’m not sure how well WSL players are paid, but an annual calendar that looks a little like…

Feb - May WSL

May - Jul NSW Cup

Aug - Oct NRLW

Nov - Dec Internationals

… would give almost a full season of footy for the top women. A full, annual calendar will also help with recruiting players from other sports too.

• Like 2

I think Caitlin Beevers would be a good signing for any club, she didn’t get to show too much at the WC playing in the wing but she is developing into a good Centre especially in defence. Also plays fullback.

• Like 3

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

23 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

I think Caitlin Beevers would be a good signing for any club, she didn’t get to show too much at the WC playing in the wing but she is developing into a good Centre especially in defence. Also plays fullback.

I agree with this and I think she is a good physical presence for an outside back... especially as she has only just turned 21.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris