World record attempt

POR

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I think it is a great idea and should drum up some interest, but I very much doubt they will achieve a "World Record" there was a time when the "Flat Cap" was part of the uniform of every male and as common as the "short back and sides" haircut, so just to emphasise a point look at the attached, OK this is from an actual World Record attendance of 53 years standing being the Cup Final replay of 1954, but I should imagine there would be many many more examples from years ago that Fev could not hope to beat, but I wished they could.

https://images.app.goo.gl/6Aso3fjWWTs5WnJV9

And this is just a small section of the attendance!

What do you mean , haven't you counted them ? 😉

8 hours ago, Jughead said:

Calling it a world record when it clearly isn’t is a bit small time. If they’d just been clear it wouldn’t be as bad. 

Good luck to them anyway. 

Personally i think is a bit of fun and was a good laugh in 2021 ( everyone needs cheering up these days) be hard to beat world record like someone pointed out. No harm in trying lol.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, POR said:

Looks like it's got a little bit harder for Mr Gledhill record not leigh's 7000ish but 8,817 – a figure set by Hull KR in their 54-24 thrashing of Bradford back in 2017,

It was 10556 earlier today.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

19 hours ago, TrueBull said:

I suppose, being literal, what is the record crowd for a 2nd tier regular season rugby league match worldwide? 

Also the social media push does attempt to follow another of IMG’s reported criteria. 

http://upthecream.co.uk/hull-fc-invincibles-1978-79/
“The Boulevard was packed to the rafters with a record second division crowd of 12,424”

Edited by Gomersall

12 hours ago, Griff said:

It was 10556 earlier today.

The 8,817 is an opening day crowd and Bradford are specifically talking opening day.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

A lot of the attendance is down to who you are playing the last time the Bulls had a home opening fixture was in 2019 against FEV who bring a lot more away support than Whithaven  attendance 6025 whilst  last year the corresponding fixture was round 24 in august the attendance was  only 2,670  so to jump up to  8818 is a big ask

1 hour ago, POR said:

A lot of the attendance is down to who you are playing the last time the Bulls had a home opening fixture was in 2019 against FEV who bring a lot more away support than Whithaven  attendance 6025 whilst  last year the corresponding fixture was round 24 in august the attendance was  only 2,670  so to jump up to  8818 is a big ask

Yeah, well, everybody's joint top on the opening day.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

On 31/01/2023 at 12:35, Harry Stottle said:

In this Country (as Aus don't have an official 2nd tier to the NRL) 10,556 Leigh v Batley 17th Sept 2016.

Or Hull FC back in the old second division - 12424 attendance against New Hunslet in 1978/9.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, JonM said:

Or Hull FC back in the old second division - 12424 attendance against New Hunslet in 1978/9.

Correction welcome Jon, I didn't know that.

Albeit, I actually did wager with a mate that FC would not lose a League game that season, it was one of those throw away remarks I made in conversation saying nonchalantly "I bet Hull go unbeaten in the league this season" immediately he said OK a fiver I couldn't back down then, and panicked for the next 8 months, a fiver was a lot of money to me back then. 

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Correction welcome Jon, I didn't know that.

I now see that gomersall posted the same thing earlier...

My recollection was that hull had many 5 figure crowds that season, but I was wrong.

If we're talking opening fixtures, Fulham Vs Wigan got 9554 in 1980/1 2nd division.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tonka said:

Must be our famous northern sense of humour that means half of people don’t get an ironic “world record” joke…

(Quite a good joke too in my opinion)

What's the joke? 

As in, is it a reference to something, or a dig at a previous claim, or something going on? 

Either way, it appears they were miles off. 

• Like 2

The joke is you can't have a world record for an attendance in a league that only covers one geographical area.  Plus its a pastiche of sports promotional writing.  Plus a self-deprecating nod to rugby league's inability to expand.  And slight absurd.  If its a dig at something specific I'm not aware of it, but it could be that too.

It's not the best joke ever written but hope that helps.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

The joke is you can't have a world record for an attendance in a league that only covers one geographical area.  Plus its a pastiche of sports promotional writing.  Plus a self-deprecating nod to rugby league's inability to expand.  And slight absurd.  If its a dig at something specific I'm not aware of it, but it could be that too.

It's not the best joke ever written but hope that helps.

I enjoy comedy very much. 

I'm still a bit bemused around what the joke is. I'm not sure making yourself look daft in a press release works on any level tbh. It's why I thought maybe there was a trend of people talking about 'World Records' or something that had become a bit ludicrous that they were poking fun at. 

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

I can’t explain it any better 🤣

I mean if it’s not your sense of humour, that’s fine, it’s a very subjective thing.  But that’s the joke anyway, as far as I can make out.

absolutely, i get your explanation, it's not that that confuses me.

I'm just not sure clubs posting press releases that make them look a bit dim are good jokes. Like I say, I assumed I was missing something. I wasn't sure if it was something to do with Fev and their World Record attempt. 😆