WCC: Saints v Panthers only a couple of weeks away

19 hours ago, AB90 said:

Welsby (who very good) over Dylan Edwards is a bit of a stretch for me. Edwards was the Panthers player of year in 2022 and is probably a top 5 NRL fullback. To suggest Welsby currently would be a top 5 fullback is a bit over the top at this point in time.

I’d add one of Sione Matatuia/Joe Batchelor to your list as the Panthers have lost Kikau. I believe Luke Garner is his replacement who is pretty unproven.

Dylan Edwards perfectly fits the way that the Panthers play.  He isn't ball playing pivot we have seen develop in the modern game or even that destructive a runner.

But what he does is take the ball off the ruck on the 3rd and 4th tackle and invariably makes yards and finds a quick play the ball.  For a team like the Panthers who like to play on the front foot and squeeze teams, he is invaluable. 

I don't think he is better than Welsby but he is perfect for the Panthers.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The game against the Dragons will be a good marker, put a good show in that game and it will give St Helens confidence. But to be honest any Super League club would struggle in Australia, thats why the World Club Challenge isn't hosted there that often. But i hope i'm wrong.

26 minutes ago, The Lad said:

The game against the Dragons will be a good marker, put a good show in that game and it will give St Helens confidence. But to be honest any Super League club would struggle in Australia, thats why the World Club Challenge isn't hosted there that often. But i hope i'm wrong.

Isnt it because they make more money from the match in the UK? - even though the last 2 WCC matches in Oz gave Melbourne and tje Roosters their season best or 2nd best home gate.

Gus Gould has tweeted the Panthers should be able to declare by half -time.

As a Saints fan who follows the NRL yes the Panthers should win but there is no need for that ignorance. Will be a lot closer than Mr Gould states.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

9 hours ago, Irish Saint said:

Gus Gould has tweeted the Panthers should be able to declare by half -time.

As a Saints fan who follows the NRL yes the Panthers should win but there is no need for that ignorance. Will be a lot closer than Mr Gould states.

Phil Gould is a complete you should ignore him he is a massive xenophobe.

Edited by anjado

11 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'd like a TRL wide ban on mentioning him 

He's like a walking, red faced, boozed up clickbait machine  

Sooner he is not mentioned ever the better 

About 15 years ago I got into a massive spat with Gould after I called him a racist because of his constant derision of anything English no matter what the context. In recent years he’s toned it down a bit and the exploits of Morley, Ellis, Burgess and Co has undermined his argument somewhat. However his underlying anti-English bias is always there just simmering beneath but busting to get out

• Like 1

Initial betting odds for the WCC have been released in Aus.

Head to head - Panthers: $1.12/Saints: $6

Line is +/- 18.5 points

If I were a betting man I would be leaning towards Saints at +18.5 but the expected  weather is slightly concerning me.

Panthers have released their team list with both Liam Martin and Dylan Edwards ruled out with injury. Stephen Chrighton to full back.

With no Korisou, Kikau, Martin and Edwards from the Panthers 2022 GF team, I’ve jumped on Saints +18.5.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

any ideas what sort of crowd is expected for this game? their stadium looks great when its full

Its going to be very hot and since the stadium has little shade, I wouldn't be suprised if there is a somewhat small turnout

1 hour ago, AB90 said:

Panthers have released their team list with both Liam Martin and Dylan Edwards ruled out with injury. Stephen Chrighton to full back.

With no Korisou, Kikau, Martin and Edwards from the Panthers 2022 GF team, I’ve jumped on Saints +18.5.

Two big losses for the Panthers in Edwards and Martin.

Edwards is so critical to their yardage game while Martin and Kikau were excellent on the edge last year providing both an attacking threat and defensive solidity.

Certainly the Panthers line up for Saturday looks weaker with these omissions and Koroisau gone as well.

Saints have a big chance here if they go in believing that they can win.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Two big losses for the Panthers in Edwards and Martin.

Edwards is so critical to their yardage game while Martin and Kikau were excellent on the edge last year providing both an attacking threat and defensive solidity.

Certainly the Panthers line up for Saturday looks weaker with these omissions and Koroisau gone as well.

Saints have a big chance here if they go in believing that they can win.

I respectfully wouldn’t describe it as a ‘big chance’ but I do think Saints can keep it somewhat close. 

Watching almost every game of the NRL over the last several seasons, for me there are three things that the Panthers do better than the rest which is why they are the back to back Premiers.

1. Their intensity in defence, kick chase, line speed and contact.

2. Their yardage game from their back 5.

3. Their attacking edges.

Losing Edwards seriously blunts point 2 (the leading metre maker in 2022).

And losing Kikau and Martin from the Grand Final winning team blunts point 3 as they were the foils for the pivots and outside backs to play to good shapes - Their threat on the edge made them important both with and without the ball.

This Panthers team wouldn't win an NRL Grand Final and so if Saints can have a chance it is now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Watching almost every game of the NRL over the last several seasons, for me there are three things that the Panthers do better than the rest which is why they are the back to back Premiers.

Looks like 6 things not 3 

Sub heading 1 has 4 seperate things. 

31 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Looks like 6 things not 3 

Sub heading 1 has 4 seperate things. 

I was just going to write intensity in defence but I thought I would express how I thought that intensity manifested itself (as 'intensity' on its own is a bit vague) and so I put kick chase, line speed and contact.

33 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I was just going to write intensity in defence but I thought I would express how I thought that intensity manifested itself (as 'intensity' on its own is a bit vague) and so I put kick chase, line speed and contact.

Just an observation. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

The same could be said for Saints in SL which is why they are 4 time back to back champions over here. If anything the way the game is officiated in the NRL improves Saints chances. Saints thrive of high intensity, quick PTB's but that doesn't happen often in SL as the officials allows a lot of slowing down of the PTB. This doesn't happen as much in the NRL and it allows teams to get on a roll much more easily. It puts greater pressure on defences but allows teams with that style of play (like Saints) to get into good field position set after set. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

22 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

The same could be said for Saints in SL which is why they are 4 time back to back champions over here. If anything the way the game is officiated in the NRL improves Saints chances. Saints thrive of high intensity, quick PTB's but that doesn't happen often in SL as the officials allows a lot of slowing down of the PTB. This doesn't happen as much in the NRL and it allows teams to get on a roll much more easily. It puts greater pressure on defences but allows teams with that style of play (like Saints) to get into good field position set after set. 

My post wasn't about comparing Saints with the Panthers, it was more about how the absentees for the Panthers will impact their game.

I do agree with you that Saints play that same high intensity style.  Not sure I agree that the NRL has faster play the balls though, my observation is that the NRL ref's allow a little more work on the ground than Super League... not a lot in it but these fractions matter.

11 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Is the lack of shade an issue for an evening kickoff.

There will still be sun on the Western stands. Sun doesn't set until 7:50 pm. Thankfully since they've moved the kickoff it should be better, but it will still be hot in there. 

Sydney is an utterly miserable place to be during summer. Way to hot and humid

• Like 1