Not Another One!

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Given that most professional English teams don’t want to travel away from a 107 mile long stretch of motorway, I don’t know why anyone thinks there should be a national amateur comp in 3,000 mile wide America. 

Who thinks that?

52 minutes ago, Eddie said:

All the people on this forum who say there should be one national American federation and competition. 

I have no idea of the geographic spread of the clubs in the USA, I was just daydreaming about a way of bringing them all under one umbrella.

If each of the different organisations could form one (pro') franchise with their affiliated clubs acting as feeder teams then perhaps a pro' comp could be created from the said franchises. 

Anyway, someone needs to get over there and start talking to them and trying to pull it all together.

Maybe they aren't warring factions but simply divided (as you say Eddie) by geographical barriers.

The USA team would then be selected from the pro' franchises. 

We could really do with them in the NH family. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

All the people on this forum who say there should be one national American federation and competition. 

There should be one national American federation.

How it organises its competitions - national, regional and local - should be up to it itself.

• Like 6

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

How it organises its competitions - national, regional and local - should be up to it itself.

There's is nothing wrong in each region having their own governing body/organizing committee because, as someone mentioned, the sheer size of the US means you need to have regional leagues given the sport is amateur and has no money. A national governing body to oversee everything and manage the national team, inter-league rep games etc would be ideal but given the nature of the beast the regional leagues need some autonomy within that model.

The RLU is the fallout of the USARL not really satisfying requirements of many to be that national body (which they technically are as per IRL recognition). It's basically the old USARL north teams going it alone and getting away from the BS to just play some games. It will be good to get a proper league going again this year and there is scope to grow if other teams wanted to join in future years.

Much more positive than negative to this news. It also finally puts to bed the farce that was the NARL.

Edited by Tex Evans Thigh
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Why? America is massive, the established Florida clubs won’t want someone 3,000 miles away running their Florida comp, why would they?

34 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

There's is nothing wrong in each region having their own governing body/organizing committee because, as someone mentioned, the sheer size of the US means you need to have regional leagues given the sport is amateur and has no money. A national governing body to oversee everything and manage the national team, inter-league rep games etc would be ideal but given the nature of the beast the regional leagues need some autonomy within that model.

The RLU is the fallout of the USARL not really satisfying requirements of many to be that national body (which they technically are as per IRL recognition). It's basically the old USARL north teams going it alone and getting away from the BS to just play some games. It will be good to get a proper league going again this year and there is scope to grow if other teams wanted to join in future years.

Much more positive than negative to this news. It also finally puts to bed the farce that was the NARL.

Can't think of a single benefit to having multiple competing tournaments all claiming to be the real rugby league in the USA.

Autonomy within a national governing body? I mean, that's the global standard. It's literally how most sports in most countries, including the USA, work.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

"not another one!" was also my initial reaction.

But, this one does involve some of the most serious RL clubs in America, so I would say this is one has a good chance of success (success = actually playing the fixtures that they say they will, unlike that NARL myth).

PS:  I agree with those saying that there is not yet enough evidence to call it a 'breakaway'.  Could be just a few clubs being proactive and taking their own initiative.  Hopefully they can work with the national governing body and get players vying for spots in the national team!

19 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Can't think of a single benefit to having multiple competing tournaments

Of course there is gj it's TGG so it provides even more chances for  disagreements, arguments and ensuring failure!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

32 minutes ago, langpark said:

"not another one!" was also my initial reaction.

But, this one does involve some of the most serious RL clubs in America, so I would say this is one has a good chance of success (success = actually playing the fixtures that they say they will, unlike that NARL myth).

PS:  I agree with those saying that there is not yet enough evidence to call it a 'breakaway'.  Could be just a few clubs being proactive and taking their own initiative.  Hopefully they can work with the national governing body and get players vying for spots in the national team!

On your PS - RLU have two posts on Instagram, one of which is a video with a song in the background and lyrics on the screen reading - ‘break away from everybody, break away from everything’… I think it’s fair that RLU see themselves as a breakaway!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CocgYcXg7aE/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by Sammo
Spelling

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Given that most professional English teams don’t want to travel away from a 107 mile long stretch of motorway, I don’t know why anyone thinks there should be a national amateur comp in 3,000 mile wide America. 

Nobody thinks it should be anything , if a competition of teams in one city was announced and actually played , that would be great , but it seems everybody wants to become ' mahoooosive ' from the start 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sammo said:

On your PS - RLU have two posts on Instagram, one of which is a video with a song in the background and lyrics on the screen reading - ‘break away from everybody, break away from everything’… I think it’s fair that RLU see themselves as a breakaway!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CocgYcXg7aE/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I stand corrected.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Can't think of a single benefit to having multiple competing tournaments all claiming to be the real rugby league in the USA.

Autonomy within a national governing body? I mean, that's the global standard. It's literally how most sports in most countries, including the USA, work.

They aren't competing, that's the point and you don't have to think too hard to realize that getting 4 teams back up and running and playing in a competitive league is a benefit. Unfortunately, in this case the only way to do that was to create a new regional league.

I agree there should be a national layer over the top with overall responsibility for national affairs but, with the current landscape, that body would need to be a lot less prescriptive in how the regions run their leagues. That's just the reality.

Don't let great be the enemy of good. It's positive that the four teams have got a league set-up and can finally start playing again with the scope for growth. Also great that DC have rejoined the fold.

• Like 3

3736-mipm.gif

6 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

They aren't competing, that's the point and you don't have to think too hard to realize that getting 4 teams back up and running and playing in a competitive league is a benefit. Unfortunately, in this case the only way to do that was to create a new regional league.

I agree there should be a national layer over the top with overall responsibility for national affairs but, with the current landscape, that body would need to be a lot less prescriptive in how the regions run their leagues. That's just the reality.

Don't let great be the enemy of good. It's positive that the four teams have got a league set-up and can finally start playing again with the scope for growth. Also great that DC have rejoined the fold.

I accept all your points but we’ve been burnt so often in the US recently that I’m going to reserve any judgement until this league starts its second full season.

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

What’s wrong with the Fire? 

I went to see them in 2015 when I was over there for a week. They had a really annoying dude (looked like a fat Rob Key🙂) behind the sticks on a podium acting as a cheerleader that annoyed the ###### out of me (the fact he had a megaphone rather than the likeness!). I'm a big footy fan but MLS just doesn't do it for me I'm afraid, I'll stick to my English teams.😁

• Like 1

If these guys get up an running then there is a lot of rugby league being played in the USA.

Seven(?) Championship RL teams

Two of the 3 Pacific Coast tams

Three and sometimes four USARL teams

Looks like Cleveland are playing Toronto Saints soon.

So there is close to 20 active teams.

I just feel that Americans don't get rugby league.

They seem to treat it as some weird version of Union. I think in most of the rest of the word the selling point is that it's NOT union. 

The mindset isn't there.

new rise.jpg

8 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

This is just how they do it in America I guess.  Did it in gridiron, and wrestling.

They might be better just having regional competitions/territories and uniting together for a Super Bowl type competition. Everyone can have a competition then! 

“grid iron” leagues were not regional competitions. There was one competition the NFL which was a closed shop. Other locations (across the country) wanted in but were shunned so they started their own (non regional) league, the AFL. The amalgamation into the NFL with two (non reginal) conferences, the AFC and the NFC, happened in the mid 60s which gave rise to Superbowl in 1967.

Baseball has a similar history of a single league closed shop with rival leagues being started to challenge the monopoly.

I dont know anything about wrestling though i have seen melbourne storm a few times.😉

18 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I accept all your points but we’ve been burnt so often in the US recently that I’m going to reserve any judgement until this league starts its second full season.

That’s fair and believe me I felt the burn! I’m confident we’ll get a good season from the 4 teams and have something to build on in the north east.

• Like 3

3736-mipm.gif