6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Have a look at some of Young's highlights in the centre at junior level and NSW Cup before he broke into the first team at the Knights.

Of course his defence will have to be worked on but his ball skills for a big man are very good.

I suspect he has been labelled a wing now as it is a key role with the carries from the back but I remain convinced that he would be a better centre than winger in the long term.

I respectfully disagree. Centre is not the position for tall players in the modern game and I dont think he has the football intelligence or skillset to be a top centre. He has the attributes to be a top winger which he already is. Could he do a job in the centre? yes. Will it be his best position? No I can't see it.

• Like 2

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I respectfully disagree. Centre is not the position for tall players in the modern game and I dont think he has the football intelligence or skillset to be a top centre. He has the attributes to be a top winger which he already is. Could he do a job in the centre? yes. Will it be his best position? No I can't see it.

To be fair he is still only 21 & with Manu & Sua’alii along with Smith & Momirovski as centre options he’ll be primarily a winger for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I'm not sure I follow the logic that centre isn't a position for tall players.  Yes, there is a fashion for wingers to be tall but someone like Brian To'o shows that talent matters more than fashion.

Likewise, Latrell Mitchell showed what having a tall, athletic centre can do for a team in the World Cup.

Personally I feel that Young could develop into a top class centre but I believe his immediate future is wing.  but not something to argue over and I just hoping he continues to develop.

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I'm not sure I follow the logic that centre isn't a position for tall players.  Yes, there is a fashion for wingers to be tall but someone like Brian To'o shows that talent matters more than fashion.

Likewise, Latrell Mitchell showed what having a tall, athletic centre can do for a team in the World Cup.

Personally I feel that Young could develop into a top class centre but I believe his immediate future is wing.  but not something to argue over and I just hoping he continues to develop.

I didnt say all wingers need to be tall, it was more a point that tall outside backs will tend to find themselves on the wing for kick attack/defence. Obviously there are plenty of good wingers who aren't tall. Similarly you might get a good tall center but interesting you use Mitchell as an example who isnt actually that tall and what makes him a good centre is his footwork, strength, skill and reading of the game in attack and defence, not his height. 

Anyway, as you say, not something to argue over. It doesnt really matter if Young ends up in the centre and if he does and does well then good on him.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

For my twopence worth he seems like the kinda guy who likes to run in a straight line, so he’ll probably be amazing for the next 3 years, decent for another 3, then get slower and slower til he gets signed by Leigh aged 34.  Unless his game develops a bit.

its all ifs and buts - who knows what will be the outcome ? like I said its a remarkable story that a kid from wakey got on a plane and backed himself - lets all look forward to chapter 2 -good luck DY

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

18 hours ago, AB90 said:

So in your mind, what proves that SL is an overall higher standard from top to bottom than the NRL (without using what you see as that is just an ‘opinion’ as you put it)? 

See now thats a goal post move, saints, Wigan, Catalan and maybe Warrington are on par with the standard of NRL, you are now on about strength in depth.

18 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, it is my opinion.  My post was a direct reply to you saying that I was being told by the Aussies that the Super League is weaker and I am simply affirming that I am making my own mind up on it.

As for you being bored. Yes, that is why I said "that doesn't necessarily mean it is more entertaining - that is a matter of taste".

I personally feel that the NRL is both the highest quality Rugby League and fantastically entertaining.  If you don't agree then I am absolutely OK with that (although I think you would be in a very small minority on the first point).

I prefer watching flair, if I wanted to watch whats in effect pick and gos and an emphasis on a kicking game I would watch union more than league

Of course down to opinion and a lot of people enjoy watching union.

If you deem high quality as statistical with set completion and low error then yes NRL is ahead but if you prefer chancing your arm, short kick offs offloads, it leads to more statistical errors with less set completions but as you can't predict the plays its far more entertaining.

Edited by yipyee

11 hours ago, JohnM said:

Saints ultimately schooled them on every level and area of the game.

HMmm. I must have missed that game. When was that?

Disclosure: I agree entirely with Dunbar's post. Spot on.

Look at the stats buddy, For reference sky also showed these stats last night on their show. Saints dominated every single stat.

All the aussie commentators and panthers coach and captain also said saints where the better team across the board but hey you and Dunbar with your salt jar know better ?!

Edited by yipyee

58 minutes ago, yipyee said:

but if you prefer chancing your arm, short kick offs offloads, it leads to more statistical errors with less set completions but as you can't predict the plays its far more entertaining.

It's funny. On this thread I am being told that error free Rugby League and completing sets is boring and yet on last night's Salford HKR game thread I was being told that the game was rubbish because of the errors.

I just really enjoy watching Rugby League. 

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 hours ago, Davo5 said:

As the thread is titled Dom Young & not Dom Young’s useless brother I think not.

Bit harsh mate - if he's useless what does that say about you? - how many RL games have you played - or for that matter, how many world cup games have you played?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, yipyee said:

Look at the stats buddy, For reference sky also showed these stats last night on their show. Saints dominated every single stat.

All the aussie commentators and panthers coach and captain also said saints where the better team across the board but hey you and Dunbar with your salt jar know better ?!

1. I'm not your buddy.

2. Saints won by a golden point.

3. It was a great win but they did not dominate. They won by one point.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, yipyee said:

See now thats a goal post move, saints, Wigan, Catalan and maybe Warrington are on par with the standard of NRL, you are now on about strength in depth.

In response to a Dunbar asking “so you don’t think the NRL is the best standard of rugby league” your response was “No after Saints humbled….”

But based on the above, you don’t actually believe this as your acknowledging that 8 or 9 SL clubs are not ‘on par with the standard of NRL’. So the vast majority. I’m very puzzled as to why you responded “No”Dunbars question when this is your stance!!

And come on……….….Warrington Wolves came 11th last year now all of a sudden because they beat an under strength Leeds are some kind of world beaters all of a sudden!

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

It's funny. On this thread I am being told that error free Rugby League and completing sets is boring and yet on last night's Salford HKR game thread I was being told that the game was rubbish because of the errors.

This sums up that kind of attitude perfectly!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

9 hours ago, AB90 said:

In response to a Dunbar asking “so you don’t think the NRL is the best standard of rugby league” your response was “No after Saints humbled….”

But based on the above, you don’t actually believe this as your acknowledging that 8 or 9 SL clubs are not ‘on par with the standard of NRL’. So the vast majority. I’m very puzzled as to why you responded “No”Dunbars question when this is your stance!!

And come on……….….Warrington Wolves came 11th last year now all of a sudden because they beat an under strength Leeds are some kind of world beaters all of a sudden!

Think it was a bit of sarcasm mate.

However as the WCC has proved all these comments on here from our resident SL haters about NRL is amazing and SL is a reserve grade comp now seem a little fuzzy - the only way to truly know is to play games and Saints have just done that and won.

Yes, everyone thinks Paramatta should beat say Salford easily, but until they actually play how do we know?

Everyone said Penrith would smash Saints (not me - hence a nice win at the bookies) and Saints proved that opinions don't count for much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Think it was a bit of sarcasm mate.

However as the WCC has proved all these comments on here from our resident SL haters about NRL is amazing and SL is a reserve grade comp now seem a little fuzzy - the only way to truly know is to play games and Saints have just done that and won.

Yes, everyone thinks Paramatta should beat say Salford easily, but until they actually play how do we know?

Everyone said Penrith would smash Saints (not me - hence a nice win at the bookies) and Saints proved that opinions don't count for much.

Ohhh yeah, some of the SL hate here is madness! But the great WCC result by Saints shouldn’t need to prove that as historically the WCC results have been pretty even (I believe it’s pretty close to 50/50 - maybe NRL slightly in front due to recent results). Regardless, we beat them often in the WCC.

Re Parramatta vs Salford - whilst you are correct that we will never know we can still make an educated assumption by reviewing and judging the overall level of talent that both teams have. 

PS. Similar to you I jumped on Saints +18.5……....like printing free money!!

• Thanks 1

Maybe it should be in another thread but seeing as though we are discussing the comparative strengths on the two competitions on here.

In '97 we saw the extended World Club Championship between the European Super League and the Super League half of the Australian clubs.  That was a pretty overwhelming victory for the Aussie clubs.

My question is do we think that the gap has closed in that time and if the competition were repeated now it would be more even?

Edited by Dunbar

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Maybe it should be in another thread but seeing as though we are discussing the comparative strengths on the two competitions on here.

In '97 we saw the extended World Club Championship between the European Super League and the Super League half of the Australian clubs.  That was a pretty overwhelming victory for the Aussie clubs.

My question is do we think that the gap has closed in that time and if the competition were repeated bow it would be more even?

Probably not, but in the early 2000s Leeds, Bradford, Wigan and Saints had some cracking teams - proven really by their WCC results.

No one doubts that the NRL is a tougher comp but we will never know if say Salford are better than the 2nd best NRL team unless they play each other.

The NRL is probably better and does pay more money- which is probably why Dom Young and the like play in that comp - see how i got this thread back on topic😉

Just finished watching a Dom Young highlights reel on NRL.com and while watching it it struck me whether signing Young; a young, glamorous, international star, is part of the Roosters` strategy in also locking down another young, glamorous international star (in the making) Joseph Sua`alii. They`ve got another young potential international star on the way next year as well.

Get one, greater chance of keeping the other.