I will admit to been his harshest critic on this forum before the current NRL season started but have watched every game he has played in since his recall to the knights team after been briefly dropped earlier in the season and will say am absolutely made up for the lad and full of pride in what he has achieved since then - some amazing tries and has etched himself into a star winger of the 2023 NRL season - hope he can keep it up at the roosters and go from strength to strength and achieve great things in the game - well done DY

• Like 5

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

He scored 2 great tries and assisted another but he didn’t actually have a very good game. He really struggled under the high ball, I suspect he was carrying an injury because he looked a little off despite his key contributions.

Whitehead had an excellent game and has become a real leader for the Raiders.

There could be another 2 really close and exciting games again next weekend before we head to a Panthers vs Broncos final

23 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

He scored 2 great tries and assisted another but he didn’t actually have a very good game. He really struggled under the high ball, I suspect he was carrying an injury because he looked a little off despite his key contributions.

Whitehead had an excellent game and has become a real leader for the Raiders.

There could be another 2 really close and exciting games again next weekend before we head to a Panthers vs Broncos final

The high ball raiders put up near the line on his wing he learned.Because instead of jumping and challenging for the ball he stood firm to make the tackle.Raiders player tipped it back Knights player gathered and Dom was going to go inside bur changed his mind and backed up near the touchline.Then as the defender came to make the tackle used his speed too just beat him .A superb effort.

8 hours ago, sentoffagain2 said:

The high ball raiders put up near the line on his wing he learned.Because instead of jumping and challenging for the ball he stood firm to make the tackle.Raiders player tipped it back Knights player gathered and Dom was going to go inside bur changed his mind and backed up near the touchline.Then as the defender came to make the tackle used his speed too just beat him .A superb effort.

He got targeted a number of times under the high ball and didn’t look comfortable. Usually he would leap to catch them but he often looked to avoid this which made me think he was carrying an injury 

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

He got targeted a number of times under the high ball and didn’t look comfortable. Usually he would leap to catch them but he often looked to avoid this which made me think he was carrying an injury 

I thought raiders did a good jov on him with blockers, runners etc. For their try it actually looked a foul on him to me, their front player just basically ran into him stopping him jumping, no intent on the ball at all. But they just got players around him, Newcastle didnt really get him any help either with their own blockers who stood off, strangely.

It’s plain to see that Dom’s strength’s are his speed, size and athleticism. He is still very defensively flawed. It will be interesting to see if his defensive skills can be improved at the Roosters. They get exposed at Newcastle because basically the whole team are an extremely poor defensive unit. Even when winning they often concede a large number of points and win by 2 etc. I expect them to get well and truly done over in New Zealand but we shall see.

45 minutes ago, SUPERSTUD said:

They get exposed at Newcastle because basically the whole team are an extremely poor defensive unit.

Newcastle have the 4th best defensive record in the NRL.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Do we think the Roosters is an upgrade on the Knights ?

I think they will be.  The Roosters have underperformed this year with the squad they have but still in the last 6 for the year... while I think the Knights have probably overachieved.

Plus Robinson is a quality coach who I think can help Young take his game to the next level.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

45 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think they will be.  The Roosters have underperformed this year with the squad they have but still in the last 6 for the year... while I think the Knights have probably overachieved.

Plus Robinson is a quality coach who I think can help Young take his game to the next level.

Yes I think so , there’s more scope for improvement in the Roosters and they’re a bigger club with higher expectations 

18 hours ago, meast said:

Two thingt the Giants academy side of 2016-2019 didn't lack was pace and skill in the backs.

Innes Senior, Dom Young, Jake Wardle, Louis Senior.

The mainstays of that three-quarter line up.😌

and size

IS-6’5”, DY-6’6”, JW-6’3”, LS-6’5”

Not bad for a three quarter line

• Like 1

New knights record of 25 tries in a season and all 25 tries here. What is seriously impressive is the variety of his finishes and the threat Young poses from anywhere on the pitch. Full length tries out of no where, spectacular finishes in the corner, sheer brute strength where he overpowers opposition players, catching high kicks to the corner and obviously his wingers share of walk ins. He looks a nightmare to defend against:

• Like 3

On 12/09/2023 at 12:34, SUPERSTUD said:

It’s plain to see that Dom’s strength’s are his speed, size and athleticism. He is still very defensively flawed. It will be interesting to see if his defensive skills can be improved at the Roosters. They get exposed at Newcastle because basically the whole team are an extremely poor defensive unit. Even when winning they often concede a large number of points and win by 2 etc. I expect them to get well and truly done over in New Zealand but we shall see.

40-10. Ended pretty much as I had previously called it. Still say Newcastle are defensively poor with a soft underbelly. Young was poor coming out of yardage where he was usually dominated and at times lost yards. Poor when attempting to recover attacking high kicks. Does not appear to possess the ability to physically go through an opposition player. Basically open ground runner with some acrobatic finishes.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

just played his last game for the knights - disappointing performance from all the team - not many chances for DY  to shine in this one 

Not much happened out on his wing in attack, but he put in the work otherwise. Looking forward to the next chapter of his career at Bondi Junction.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, SUPERSTUD said:

40-10. Ended pretty much as I had previously called it. Still say Newcastle are defensively poor with a soft underbelly. Young was poor coming out of yardage where he was usually dominated and at times lost yards. Poor when attempting to recover attacking high kicks. Does not appear to possess the ability to physically go through an opposition player. Basically open ground runner with some acrobatic finishes.

The Newcastle team were dominated from the off for practically the full game and had something like 5 tackles in nearly the first 15 minutes. No winger would have done much more than Young in those circumstances.

• Like 2

Newcastle were always going to struggle today - away from home, a raucous Auckland crowd, a short turnaround, and several key players out.

Super season by Young that he can be very happy with. Part of me thinks that this is a Knights team on the up and that Young may regret walking away for the money and the stature of a big city club.

His departure could be seen as somewhat similar to Herbie leaving the Broncos.

Can’t just pick out Dom Young . Ponga was well handled , Best was anonymous. The Knights best players never had a sniff as the Warriors broke their back early and took full advantage  later on . Super season for Dom and I hope he comes on again under Robinson  , which he will . And rips up Tonga in between 

• Like 3