Surprise, Surprise Derek Beaumont wants to end promotion- relegation

Leigh have barely been in SL 5 minutes and this guy wants an end to promotion and relegation, which in theory I agree with but I don't remember him ever saying this in the past few years when they were in the Championship.

Edited by The Daddy
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Leigh have barely been in SL 5 minutes and this guy wants an end to promotion and relegation, which in theory I agree with but I don't remember him ever saying this in the past few years when they were in the Championship.

It's certainly a shift in view, given he's previously been adamantly in favour of P&R, even during previous seasons in Super League.

But he's not barely been in SL 5 minutes. This is his 3rd season (possibly 4th, can't remember what his involvement was in 05). He knows the challenges involved with assembling a team ready to make the step up, and keeping a team together.

I don't particularly agree with him. I think we need to find ways to get enough revenue into the sport to support two tiers, where relegation isn't such a massive hit. But a person is allowed to change his mind, and he's done so based on a fair bit of experience of the challenges involved.

• Like 3

“And you can never come up and stay up, that’s why nobody has ever done it.

That's plainly untrue. Salford, Hull KR and Castleford have both come up from the Championship and survived the following season under systems similar to the one he claims are "impossible". 

It's not that nobody has ever done it. It's just that he has never done it. 

Edited by whatmichaelsays
  • Like 6

23 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

That's plainly untrue. Salford, Hull KR and Castleford have both come up from the Championship and survived the following season under systems similar to the one he claims are "impossible". 

That’s three teams in how many years? Ok so it’s not impossible, but it is extremely difficult with the odds massively stacked against the promoted team, even in years where they get the same funding as everyone else. 

15 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

What a message of confidence to send to your players a week in. 

If there is no p and r then the teams are purely commercial decisions. So London in Toulouse in , maybe Bulls back for the Leeds game so IMG can sell it. You would even parachute in markets you want to grow. Birmingham in the Alex for instance. 

It would still be Leigh Wakey and maybe two others on the chopping P and R is Leigh’s best protection to play SL. 

If I was taking a commercial decision to pick my SL teams now I wouldn’t have London in. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The storm said:

He is the sort of owner that every team would want

No matter how many times you say it, it doesn't make it true.

But it is his job to do what's best for Leigh and he is absolutely right that ensuring they never face relegation would be a good thing for them.

It's just not something he believed before and a lot of the folk who like him are those who believe P&R should be sacrosanct.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

23 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

True. But if my memory serves me right, Salford's first promotion to SL, as well as Wakefield's and Widnes', came at a time when the second tier season finished a few months before Super League, giving more time to recruit in the close season. Salford and Hull KR's second promotions came off the back of them playing in SL for a number of years and keeping as much of the SL infrastructure in place to bounce straight back up.

Hull KR in 2006/7 is the exception, of a team without a number of successive SL seasons previously, getting promoted in October and get themselves above one of the 11 established teams.

If Toulouse go up, and their owner says the same thing next year, would it get the same reaction? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phiggins said:

If Toulouse go up, and their owner says the same thing next year, would it get the same reaction? 

Different people but probably an equivalent.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, phiggins said:

You mean people will form an opinion based on the person / club? Probably.

I mean that if Toulouse say it then there will be a group of posters who would be quick to condemn them for doing so.

I'm fairly certain they did say something similar last year, actually, but going back to check would involve going back to check.

I’m terms of what has been quoted in TotalRL’s article with Beaumont, he’s not exactly been particularly controversial, I don’t think. He’s not actually been quoted as saying that he wants rid of promotion. 

The difficulties of being a promoted side are clear. It’s very, very tough for a promoted side to retain their place in Super League, history shows us it’s been done very few times, the last probably being Hull KR after one year back at Championship level and since then Leigh, Toulouse and London have all gone straight back down after coming up, even when London won ten games in a year. Beaumont, like most of us, understands that and as a club chairmen, would appreciate more security if Leigh are a Super League club in the future. 

The unsurprising thing is the article headline might state he wants an end to it but that appears to be the usual standard of Callum Walker writing and clickbait headlines. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

But you aren’t picking on them now. That’s the point . You are locking teams in and saying IMG will help you grow. Leigh averaged 3k in Championship, they will have a lot more purely by being in SL. Probably six k at worst.

A guaranteed place for London with a proper stadium and getting 5-6k in a London market is achievable and simply worth more to advertisers than in traditional markets. 

I struggle to believe anyone making a franchise system are not locking in the capital of the country.

We've been told that nobody is getting points for potential.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

But you aren’t picking on them now. That’s the point . You are locking teams in and saying IMG will help you grow. Leigh averaged 3k in Championship, they will have a lot more purely by being in SL. Probably six k at worst.

A guaranteed place for London with a proper stadium and getting 5-6k in a London market is achievable and simply worth more to advertisers than in traditional markets. 

I struggle to believe anyone making a franchise system are not locking in the capital of the country.

5-6k for a London team is a pipe dream at the moment I’m afraid. Broncos get 1,000 and Skolars 300, where are these new fans coming from? Even in SL last time London struggled to get 2,000. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I mean that if Toulouse say it then there will be a group of posters who would be quick to condemn them for doing so.

I'm fairly certain they did say something similar last year, actually, but going back to check would involve going back to check.

Yes, Sylvain mentioned half way through the season allowing newly promoted teams to be ring fenced for 2 years as the gap was too great. Some agreed with him and quite a lot didn't citing "he knew the rules at the beginning of the season". I'm all for P+R by the way, it helps motivate those that want to succeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The storm said:

Derek beaumont is a world class ambassador for leigh leopards and rugby league in general. 

He is the sort of owner that every team would want

And it's time to stop attacking people like Derek because he has an opinion on something.

That is unless your aim is to get investment out of RL altogether.

• Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

57 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

If somebody comes up with a plan to get a "proper stadium" for London, then it's worth exploring. How long an agreement do they have at Wimbledon? Are they likely going to need to move again in three years, to another completely different part of London?

The 5-6k in a London market may be achievable, but the things you've marked as that being dependant on, maybe less so. Even then, if we invest into growing a fanbase for a London club, we need to get more than 5-6k in return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiggy said:

I'm all for P+R by the way, it helps motivate those that want to succeed

I have been a season ticket holder for a long time, but if P&R is banished I won't pre purchase match tickets in the form of a season pass, games that have no consequence on the result would not interest me at all.

• Like 1