Fri 10th Mar: SL: Leigh Leopards v St Helens KO 20:00

Who will win?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Leopards
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/03/23 at 20:30

36 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

Has Shorrocks actually impressed? I had a feeling Lam signed him purely for his utility value but the utility tag is always a bit of a misnomer as he's played multiple positions and only ever played well in one, which is loose forward, where he's very impressive.

He was very good in the second row, on the right hand side last night. I suspect there would’ve been a thought of him playing at loose forward for spells, allowing us to take Asiata off without too much of a drop. But since he signed, Wardle has been injured, on top of Holmes and Hughes. We seem to have stumbled on a better back row than we started with now, with O’Donnell also doing well on the left.

But if the Wigan coach asks, Shorrocks was dreadful. 

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

He was very I impressive last night Eagle perhaps a new environment is doing him good, if Matty Peet watches this game he will bring him back, looked far more commited and energetic than most of your forwards on display on Thursday, you mention loose forward I would put him above Smithies I think I have seen enough of Smithies to make an opinion, he is like a throwback to an old Wigan Favourite for me being Ian Potter the lad is not to bad in defence but there is more Rugby League abillity in a table leg, not what is required in todays game, in Potters time you could get away with it.

Just my opinion.

I think just playing regularly will do him good. I also prefer him to Smithies and have done for a while, I just think he's unlucky that Smithies had a good season last year and Shorrocks struggled to nail down a place (as young players often do in their second season). What counts in Smithies' favour is he's pretty good taking the ball into contact. It's an underrated part of his game and he's our 3rd best metre making forward. That's where Shorrocks isn't as effective because of his size. If we had a pack like Saints, Wire, Catalans etc I'd be wanting Shorrocks at 13 every game. Unfortunately our front row is so ineffective you lose a lot if you don't have Smithies at 13. It probably says more about our front row than either of the two players.

I also think Smithies would get less criticism if he was a prop rather than wearing 13. His style is hard graft and last season his tackle success was the best in the league. His lack of ball playing or offloading is something he needs to work on, but I think if you stick him in the number 8 shirt nobody comments on that.

Shorrocks though is just a pure ball playing 13 and that's what I like. Good at first receiver down the middle but can also drift wide as second receiver and let the halves hold up the middle players. He's got a good offload and he chucks himself around the field in defence. The only negative is his lack of size which the best ball playing forwards also tended to have. That's also why he's not as effective at second row because he can't make the metres most wide back rowers can.

I think his loan deal was only 2 weeks and I think it's 50/50 whether it's extended or he gets recalled.

Edited by EagleEyePie

May I add also that I am pleased for Leigh and their relative good start to their latest SL journey. I hope they continue as is and remain in SL.  Not just on this win but also my first trip to LSV for this pre-season game and seemed to be a welcoming club.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Hangover from WWC?

There was always a chance that would be the case but it could just as easily be their aura has slipped and even more likely they were outplayed.

Edited by Oxford
  • Thanks 1

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

31 minutes ago, Oxford said:

There was always a chance that would be the case but it could just as easily be their aura has slipped and even more likely they were outplayed.

Of course 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

21 minutes ago, phiggins said:

One for other Leigh fans there last night. Did we do that with 16 men? Don’t recall Chamberlain coming on at all. Also not sure Davis had a second stint either?

That's right, Davis only played about 20 mins and Chamberlain was unused. Big credit to the strength and conditioning staff there.

1 hour ago, EagleEyePie said:

Unfortunately our front row is so ineffective you lose a lot if you don't have Smithies at 13. It probably says more about our front row than either of the two players.

That's were Shorrocks had the ascendancy here, the 4 props that Leigh played completey monstered the Saints pack, I can't recall Walmesley ever breaking a tackle he was totally ineffective, Paasi tried but kept getting shoved back.

The Leigh front row (props) if they keep fit and healthy are going to make a big impression in this division, must say I am looking forward to our meeting with your lot at the LSV on the 30th.

Edited by Harry Stottle

13 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Of course 

Pity it's not said more often then. I'll help out, the most likely reason for Saints losing is Leigh player better.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

That's right, Davis only played about 20 mins and Chamberlain was unused. Big credit to the strength and conditioning staff there.

Was very impressed with the bench props last night. Was a concern I had after the Salford game, not helped by conceding late in the first half in the next two games. But they both did very well. Nakubuwei especially, as he did more minutes than expected.

Only slight concern is whether Lam thinks the other forwards in the squad are up to the required level. If he’s not going to put Jones, Gannon or Wilde in the 17 last night, when will he?

Edited by phiggins

Are we seeing clubs finding ways to stop saints compressed rush defence. The last 3 games (cas succeeded but kept bombing chances) teams have gone wide early to bypass the rush defence. Both Leeds and leigh had success. 

4 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Was very impressed with the bench props last night. Was a concern I had after the Salford game, not helped by conceding late in the first half in the next two games. But they both did very well. Nakubuwei especially, as he did more minutes than expected.

Only slight concern is whether Lam thinks the other forwards in the squad are up to the required level. If he’s not going to put Jones, Gannon or Wilde in the 17 last night, when will he?

I wouldn't read too much into it in terms of props, 4 + Asiata is more than enough and both our 2nd rowers last night are 80 minute players. Chamberlain was there as injury cover in second row, centre and wing. Jack Hughes will more than likely replace him next week. I was very impressed seeing Ava for the first time last night, he caused problems as soon as he came on and will only get better as he gets match sharpness. 

Gannon, Wilde and Jones are all young and fairly inexperienced and the first 2 in particular are long term acquisitions. I think Gannon is the next cab off the rank for us though in terms of props, with O'Donnell and maybe even Holmes filling in.

52 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

They did, there was at least 4 occasions in the first half they could have posted points but didn't execute the final pass well enough.

That'll come 'arry, mark my words!

I see it's the silly season from "Saints are not the best in the world" except they are until the trophy's taken away jus!t like SL and CC and it why the RLWC needs holding more regularly.

Edited by Oxford

4 hours ago, EagleEyePie said:

I think just playing regularly will do him good. I also prefer him to Smithies and have done for a while, I just think he's unlucky that Smithies had a good season last year and Shorrocks struggled to nail down a place (as young players often do in their second season). What counts in Smithies' favour is he's pretty good taking the ball into contact. It's an underrated part of his game and he's our 3rd best metre making forward. That's where Shorrocks isn't as effective because of his size. If we had a pack like Saints, Wire, Catalans etc I'd be wanting Shorrocks at 13 every game. Unfortunately our front row is so ineffective you lose a lot if you don't have Smithies at 13. It probably says more about our front row than either of the two players.

I also think Smithies would get less criticism if he was a prop rather than wearing 13. His style is hard graft and last season his tackle success was the best in the league. His lack of ball playing or offloading is something he needs to work on, but I think if you stick him in the number 8 shirt nobody comments on that.

Shorrocks though is just a pure ball playing 13 and that's what I like. Good at first receiver down the middle but can also drift wide as second receiver and let the halves hold up the middle players. He's got a good offload and he chucks himself around the field in defence. The only negative is his lack of size which the best ball playing forwards also tended to have. That's also why he's not as effective at second row because he can't make the metres most wide back rowers can.

I think his loan deal was only 2 weeks and I think it's 50/50 whether it's extended or he gets recalled.

Think it's on a week to week basis.

Just now, PEANUT HEAD said:

Think it's on a week to week basis.

It was 2 weeks that was what was initially stated, so we could lose him next for the next game, but if he is allowed to stay I would wager Wigan won't let him play against them.

If I was Leigh I would be looking to take him on full time now, very useful and can play numerous positions.

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

It was 2 weeks that was what was initially stated, so we could lose him next for the next game, but if he is allowed to stay I would wager Wigan won't let him play against them.

If I was Leigh I would be looking to take him on full time now, very useful and can play numerous positions.

Sure Lam said in his last interview it is now week to week .

• Thanks 1