Fri 7th Apr: SL: Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 15:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/04/23 at 14:30

2 minutes ago, Barry Badrinath said:

Has this just cut to adverts for anyone else?

No.... not yet, anyway. I'm not taking anything for granted after that first half from Hull.

Hope it's back soon for you.

Looking at the colour of Sironen, this is about as much sun as he can handle.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Bit of a messy game so far.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

That was a daft ending by Makinson, should have taken the tackle.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, bratman said:

Great defence

Not many defenders cope with Makinson from that position.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Saints’ attack has been misfiring all year. Any one of the last 4 seasons and that Lomax break ends with a try. 

Welsby and Dodd haven’t got back to where they were since the WCC. And I think we didn’t realise how much we’d miss Regan Grace long-term, as a kick-returner and evasive threat. Makes me cringe to have Hopoate on the wing. I reckon I’m faster than him now, and I’m 53 with heart disease!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bratman said:

Saints are making breaks though, you'd expect them to start scoring at some point

Yes, think Saints will go in thinking they were making inroads in that last five minutes.

3 things:

Excellent tight Match,

For someone who looks for something controversial Wilkin is sitting firmly on that fence today,

Does anyone have any idea what the difference is between controlling the ruck and six again?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I feel that Saints should get Dodd monopolising the kicking. His up-and-down placement is really good. Let Lomax run the ball and find short-sides. His kicking isn't his strength. Welsby hasn't been all there in the first half.

Wigan look more settled and better set up. Quite impressed by how Smith is running the game for them, and then they have offload threats in King and KPP and the searing pace of French.

Could be a tough second half for Saints. They need Dodd to fill the same sort of role as Smith.

5 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Does anyone have any idea what the difference is between controlling the ruck and six again?

Controlling the ruck is when the defending team have won the collision and the wrestle and are therefore dominant in the tackle.  In this situation the 2 or 3 defenders will peel away as slowly as they can get away with.  A six again can be called in this situation if the defenders take the p*** but the ref will see this mostly as a defensive win and so tends not to.

But when the ball carrier has won the collision and / or  the floor and so is looking to get quickly to his feet and play the ball (with defenders left on the ground) but is held down or pulled back by a defender (any action that stops the attacker winning a quick play the ball), this will be called as a six again.

These are the judgements that a ref has to make in almost every tackle of every game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Roy Haggerty said:

Problem Saints have is that “structured and patient” becomes “predictable” when up against an organised defence. 

I just think they could utilise their kicking options a bit better.

Also, I would rather see Ritson on one of the wings. Hopoate is never a winger.

• Like 1