Attendance thread

Let’s have this conversation should Leigh become a sustainable SL club. 

We have them now averaging far less, so let’s talk about what they are going to do differently. 

Toulouse need SL and SL need Toulouse but it’s up to Toulouse to be sustainable. Let’s not give them things on a lolly stick because it’s a huge city, expansion blah blah. They got relegated because the squad and club wasn’t SL standard. 

Toronto ?  Give over !  Beautiful whilst it lasted !

Reading the various discussions on this thread, I wondered - how many people do we think should be watching RL?

As far as SL is concerned attendances seem generally ok given the size of the towns it’s played in. Attendances in the Championship and L1 seem disproportionately low (in heartland areas). This is presumably as few teams have a reasonable chance of progressing into SL. 

Outside of heartland areas it’s a bit of a #######torm but for understandable reasons (lack of competitive teams, awareness of clubs, lack of marketing etc,)

Edited by EssexRL
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Reading the various discussions on this thread, I wondered - how many people do we think should be watching RL?

As far as SL is concerned attendances seem generally ok given the size of the towns it’s played in. Attendances in the Championship and L1 seem disproportionately low (in heartland areas). This is presumably as few teams have a reasonable chance of progressing into SL. 

Outside of heartland areas it’s a bit of a #######torm but for understandable reasons (lack of competitive teams, awareness of clubs, lack of marketing etc,)

To be fair, our second and third tier crowds are a lot better than Union’s, I think they’re ok considering. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

I’m not trying to have a dig at a French team, I’m just saying that given the respective size of the places Leigh’s crowds are far superior. 

It doesn't matter though. 

My local corner shop gets all my street shopping in it. Tescos down the road doesn't but guess which one makes more money.

26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It doesn't matter though. 

My local corner shop gets all my street shopping in it. Tescos down the road doesn't but guess which one makes more money.

Quite. It's like RL is the only sport that thinks trying to expand and looking for new eyeballs is a dirty word. 

Catalan Dragons....

10 hours ago, Leonard said:

With a low profile and 1 season in SL when the other clubs shafted them on travel costs.

I think Leigh's max potential is, say, 6K. Toulouse clearly far more.

That word 'Potential' follows Toulouse around like a dog after a ##### on heat.

Unbelievable the auto censor does not like the term for a female dog.

Edited by Harry Stottle

9 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Quite. It's like RL is the only sport that thinks trying to expand and looking for new eyeballs is a dirty word. 

Catalan Dragons....

No idea where you criticism is aimed at , but the one word that matters above everything is ' Sport ' , we are not a chain of coffee franchises 

10 hours ago, Leonard said:

There is definitely that element to trying to diversify income and booze being a large part of that - which I have no issue with and the game was on a Friday night, so probably encourages it too after work.

Am I right that Wigan get nothing from such sales at the DW - as they don't own the ground? Which must be a decent revenue loss for them.

I was at the Oval the other week and they have a dry stand. I wonder if that is the way to go. Have a couple of blocks with no booze and let others get on with it.

Wigan do have one.

IMG_0198.webp

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

3 hours ago, yipyee said:

The extra stewarding required would make the gains not worth it, also wigan would have had the tickets so what would you do, ask saints fans to contact the Wigan box office 

Perhaps the police might’ve been against the Saints fans being in the away end which then would have required police in the ground. That would’ve then seen the price rocket.
But i do think it’s sad that only two or three grounds(do Wakey have segregation ?) in the top tier now have stands in which opposition fans can mingle. 

4 hours ago, yipyee said:

Apparently so, and let's not confuse a sell out with attendance...

They did sell out, my daughter’s boyfriend tried to get a couple of tickets either standing or sitting but was told all the Saints tickets had been sold.
He did leave it a bit late though. 

27 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

That word 'Potential' follows Toulouse around like a dog after a ##### on heat.

Unbelievable the auto censor does not like the term for a female dog.

As does "lack of potential" elsewhere 

I apologise if this has been mentioned elsewhere but someone told me there was a bit of bother at the Cas game on Friday night. He said “there is a clip of it” on either Twitter or Facebook i can’t remember. 

I don’t bother with those cesspits so i don’t know if it is true or just fake news as Donald likes to say. 

12 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I apologise if this has been mentioned elsewhere but someone told me there was a bit of bother at the Cas game on Friday night. He said “there is a clip of it” on either Twitter or Facebook i can’t remember. 

I don’t bother with those cesspits so i don’t know if it is true or just fake news as Donald likes to say. 

There is yeah, for those that know it was behind where the screen goes at Cas. Nothing major, but a lot of aggression and a bit of pushing and shoving.

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

As does "lack of potential" elsewhere 

But potential or lack of it means jaff all, it is results that count, potentially Toulouse could have done last year what Leigh are doing this year but they failed, before last season started we were being told that 'potentially' Toulouse would have regular 10K crowd's, they would consolidate and be a force in SL, have massive sponsership due to being a Big City team, none of it transpired Tommy, but many are still  telling us that they have the potential to be a force in SL as long as they are protected and given an extended stay in SL. If they don't win promotion this year I can't see that they will ever gain enough IMG browny points for them to get into SL.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

But potential or lack of it means jaff all, it is results that count, potentially Toulouse could have done last year what Leigh are doing this year but they failed, before last season started we were being told that 'potentially' Toulouse would have regular 10K crowd's, they would consolidate and be a force in SL, have massive sponsership due to being a Big City team, none of it transpired Tommy, but many are still  telling us that they have the potential to be a force in SL as long as they are protected and given an extended stay in SL. If they don't win promotion this year I can't see that they will ever gain enough IMG browny points for them to get into SL.

It does when the reality is comparable Harry.

5 hours ago, yipyee said:

Well of course that is the case, so if Leigh are reducing ticket prices and still getting 6k attendances that is even worse !

So average ticket is around 25, you need 10k minimum at these prices plus as much hospitality sales as you can.

Just presumed we rule out discounted tickets but quite right I should have clarified.

Something Leigh don’t do they try to build value through the event and one price for anywhere - I hope they review that btw so prices vary in the same stand eg West outers is same as centre drop outers by £2. And raise centre blocks by same.

Just now, Josef K said:

That’s not good. 

No it isn't. Ignore the caption which is obviously KR with an anti Salford chip on the shoulder. Similar has potential to happen all the time at Cas as a set of particularly obtuse cas fans seem to insist in situating themselves the away end.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

No it isn't. Ignore the caption which is obviously KR with an anti Salford chip on the shoulder. Similar has potential to happen all the time at Cas as a set of particularly obtuse cas fans seem to insist in situating themselves the away end.

Finally, Coronation Street just got interesting.