Attendance thread

8 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Do we then say we should be looking for crowds in the 80’s then because that’s what we once used to get?

Recent history suggests the crowd is dropping. 60k+ would be a phenomenal uplift based on last year. 

Well no, but describing a lower crowd than we have ever had at Wembley for a comparable game as a massive win is just fundamentally wrong.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

We’ve had one 60k attendance in the past few years (discounting ‘21 for obvious reasons), since Club Wembley seats weren’t used to pad out attendances. 60k would be a massive uplift from last year, which had the new stadium factor that didn’t actually seem to make any effect on the crowd on the day. 

60k+ would be a success having had one 60+ crowd in the past four finals*. 

*with no covid restrictions. 

It’s two of the last four, Saints v Cas was restricted to 40k. Also the Catalans crowd was always likely to be below 60k given the level of their travelling support.

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s two of the last four, Saints v Cas was restricted to 40k. Also the Catalans crowd was always likely to be below 60k given the level of their travelling support.

That’s why I added the caveat of “without covid restrictions”. 

18 minutes ago, Jughead said:

That’s why I added the caveat of “without covid restrictions”. 

I know. Of the last four finals with no Covid restrictions two have had 60+ crowds, not one like you said. 

11 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Maybe they could start by adding a link for where to buy the tickets. Great advertising that, "tickets on sale but we're not gonna tell you where to buy them!" 

While futuristic by RFL standards, a QR code would be good. 

15 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Maybe they could start by adding a link for where to buy the tickets. Great advertising that, "tickets on sale but we're not gonna tell you where to buy them!" 

I think it does on the social media posts that image is included with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I know. Of the last four finals with no Covid restrictions two have had 60+ crowds, not one like you said. 

One in three, one in four. Either way, 60k+ will be a positive attendance this year. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Really, you strip out the anomalies like hosting it at Spurs or a French team making the final, and getting 60k would still be the lowest crowd for almost 70 years. 

There was 60,669 at the 1998 final but that did involve Sheffield and then you have to go right back to 1946 to find an attendance lower which saw Wakefield play Wigan in front of 54,730 and that was right after the war when people were gonna be a bit cash strapped and have more important things to think about. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

There was 60,669 at the 1998 final but that did involve Sheffield and then you have to go right back to 1946 to find an attendance lower which saw Wakefield play Wigan in front of 54,730 and that was right after the war when people were gonna be a bit cash strapped and have more important things to think about. 

Yup, my maths was poor again, should have said almost 80 years! 

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

Yup, my maths was poor again, should have said almost 80 years! 

So essentially what we're concluding is, if you discount playing at smaller venues, global pandemics, foreign teams and the aftermath of the most devastating war in human history then 60k would be a poor turnout for this final, that is of course not impacted by any of those aforementioned factors. 

On 24/07/2023 at 16:54, Tommygilf said:

There's still room to grow there too for example with Leeds having a further 6k capacity and St Helens being that bit bigger than Warrington.

Aye, it would be good to cover over the end open to the elements, absolutely disgraceful in this day and age that for games of this magnitude the fans of the club who are alloted that end have to endure a couple of hours standing in torrential rain, Headingley is not suited to these games in inclement weather whilst there are many other stadiums to choose from where patrons will be comfortable and dry.

Awaiting your and other Leeds fans excuses, but would you stand there when it is persisting down?

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

Aye, it would be good to cover over the end open to the elements, absolutely disgraceful in this day and age that for games of this magnitude the fans of the club who are alloted that end have to endure a couple of hours standing in torrential rain, Headingley is not suited to these games in inclement weather whilst there are many other stadiums to choose from where patrons will be comfortable and dry.

Awaiting your and other Leeds fans excuses, but would you stand there when it is persisting down?

The point I made subsequently is that there aren't many other stadiums to choose from that meet the same criteria. There's literally 2 others.

I suppose I'm not as soft as some old timers who don't like the good old days...

• Haha 1

On 26/07/2023 at 07:45, LINNERS said:

Batley have got 116-120 and their allocation only goes on sale this morning, hence why there is limited tickets showing on the RFL website.

Looks like we might have to get behind the Leythers (am I allowed to say that 🤔)

If neither team had changed their colours from red/cherry and white hoops both sets of fans would have blended in together.

Trivia question, one player had the distinction of playing for Wigan, Oldham, Batley and Leigh and reputedly wouldn't have had to change his shirt on each of his transfers they were all the same colours, Who?

56 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

Less than 4000 home fans. Wow thats really is a worry. 

No matter what the Giants do there really is very little interest in the town is there

A worry for who and what?

It's been like that for decades, it's not a new thing, there's probably very little interest in most towns that host RL clubs if we're honest.

But yeah let's pick Huddersfield out again 🫥

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, meast said:

A worry for who and what?

It's been like that for decades, it's not a new thing, there's probably very little interest in most towns that host RL clubs if we're honest.

But yeah let's pick Huddersfield out again 🫥

You took it!!

• Haha 1