Match thread: Championship Round 12 Summer Bash: York v Featherstone. Saturday 27th May 2023.

22 minutes ago, mightyship said:

Last time we visited LNER stadium I parked in the park and ride car park but not sure what sort of crowd is expected and if that’ll be possible this time. Any thoughts from one of our York supporting betheren? Any suggestions of where is good to park?

Posting on York forum would probably get a quicker & accurate answer

Edited by elppaxr2i

1 hour ago, mightyship said:

Last time we visited LNER stadium I parked in the park and ride car park but not sure what sort of crowd is expected and if that’ll be possible this time. Any thoughts from one of our York supporting betheren? Any suggestions of where is good to park?

The LNER Community Stadium's postcode is YO32 9AF. Should you require car parking at the stadium, please use our matchday car park located at the Monks Cross Park & Ride, less than 100 metres from the stadium. The postcode for the Park & Ride Car Park is YO32 9JU. Tickets need to be purchased in advance from here. A steward then scans the ticket in the car park. Accessible parking is very limited and available on a first come, first served basis within the East Stand car park as well as the Park and Ride car park.

Parking - LNER Community Stadium (talent-sport.co.uk)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bigbaldnmad said:

On the Vangarde shopping centre website, parking in the Vangarde car park is free after 6pm.

I used this last year and have asked the question on the York forum and expect this will still be free. Just don't get there until after 6.

Vangarde Shopping Centre

absolutely spot on , always unlimited parking after 6 , i however will park in the park and ride as i do at all home matches which the club provides free parking , obviously sat/sun the event is run by the RFL so double check where you park before 6.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Grade C but only given 1 game so probably wouldn't make much sense to appeal as it's more likely to go up than down.

Agree but the point is they could next week so between the banning this week and the possible appeal next week means he is available to play in any games in between so in theory we could lose Ryley for Barrow not York

22 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Josh Drinkwater picked up a 1-game ban for Warrington at the weekend, hopefully they will just have a shuffle around for Friday's game at Leigh rather than recalling Riley Dean but we'll have to see.

Confirmed that Dean has been recalled by Warrington for this weekend.

Their game is on Friday so I suppose in theory they could just want him in the squad as cover and then release him back to us for saturday, but seems more likely they have recalled him to play him.

• Like 1

It just shows that this loan system stinks. We play him for 2/5 ths of the season get him match fit, playing our systems. and they snatch him away.. Dont they have a squad without disrupting ours. ? Typical Super League.

I say again the system STINKS

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, haskey said:

It just shows that this loan system stinks. We play him for 2/5 ths of the season get him match fit, playing our systems. and they snatch him away.. Dont they have a squad without disrupting ours. ? Typical Super League.

On the other hand we’ve struggled with injuries and he’s been an ever present. Personally I’m not sure he’s up to SL standard as yet, so doubt that he’ll play on Friday.

53 minutes ago, haskey said:

Eh? He's their player. They're not "snatching him away".

With the modern game having so many injuries, no team would send out a player on a season-long loan without a recall clause unless he was so far down the pecking order that it was inconceivable he'd be required.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, haskey said:

He’s their player. You could argue that it was pretty daft of us to be relying on a loan player in such a crucial position.

• Like 7

Haskey is right in saying that the loan system stinks imo.

We knew the rules when we contracted with Wire and Dean. If the rules didn't provide for a possible recall i wouldn't have a problem with it but the loanee gets the rough deal I think. 

There doesn't seem to be the recall option in football. It's all about benefiting SL who will invariably be the loaners of young talented players needing experience. 

With the exception of Dean we've been clever in our recruitment in not having to rely upon other teams to supplement us during the course of the season with a high class squad of our own. 

UTR.

6 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

He’s their player. You could argue that it was pretty daft of us to be relying on a loan player in such a crucial position.

Absolutely hit the nail on the head there.  We signed up for it. 

Crazy that we've put ourselves in this position.    

• Like 1

15 hours ago, haskey said:

But we knew the rules when we signed him on. There was always a chance this could happen.

• Like 1

Several posts saying we have been foolish/crazy to have signed Dean on loan. Not sure I agree.

Let's compare our situation with a couple of our likely promotion rivals.
Halifax have the notoriously injury-prone Joe Keyes and Louis Jouffret as their only recognised halves. Their plan B (which i assume they will fall back on now Keyes is reportedly out long-term) is to switch their outstanding full back Woodburn-Hall to half back, where he's less effective.

Toulouse have Josh Ralph and Jake Shorrocks as their only recognised halves, and I think they had to play hooker/loose forward Anthony Marion at half back at Batley.

What this tells us is what a shortage of quality halves there (and this applies at lower SL level too, where the 35-year-old Luke Gale is anointed as Wakefield's last chance as a saviour).

We signed Johnno Ford and Thomas Lacans (who Toulouse wanted to sign) as half backs this season. But we added Dean on loan, and he's been picked ahead of Lacans, because he's an upgrade. In fact I think I'm right in saying the only game we have lost this season is the only game where Dean didn't play (against Fax in the Cup).

Dean might have been a fairly late signing decision too, because we were reportedly trying to sign Kyle Laybutt but that never materialised.

If people think that Lacans isn't up to the job then that's a different issue, but also begs the question, who could we have realistically signed who wasn't already under contract that is better?

We are going to have the same problem next season if we get into SL.We will need a good scrum half i would prefer a younger one rather than one on the way down.If we had signed one this season he could have bedded down in the team and if good enough he would be ready for next season.We need to search Austrailia and New Zealand for potential as TPHorseman says we don't have many spare over here.