Hurricanes Hit the Road

Sorry to put a downer on this, but how do Midlands get away with playing their matches at sub-standard venues?

Last year they played at a ground that is essentially a recreational union club, on the basis that it was just for one year and they were moving to the Alexander Stadium.

This year they're at the training venue for the Alexander Stadium because the main facility isn't ready yet. There doesn't seem to be any stands, just ground level standing and a marquee with obstructed views.

They're now planning on taking this match on the road, but to another recreational union club - essentially a field with a clubhouse.

These are the kind of places that our amateur clubs play.

We haven't done away with ground requirements for League 1 because North Wales were refused permission to play a match on a 4G at Eirias Park because of the requirements.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Sorry to put a downer on this, but how do Midlands get away with playing their matches at sub-standard venues?

Last year they played at a ground that is essentially a recreational union club, on the basis that it was just for one year and they were moving to the Alexander Stadium.

This year they're at the training venue for the Alexander Stadium because the main facility isn't ready yet. There doesn't seem to be any stands, just ground level standing and a marquee with obstructed views.

They're now planning on taking this match on the road, but to another recreational union club - essentially a field with a clubhouse.

We haven't done away with ground requirements for League 1 because North Wales were refused permission to play a match on a 4G at Eirias Park because of the requirements.

Why are they doing it? Why is their home ground unavailable? 

7 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

Without knowing the details it's hard to understand why one is okay but the other isn't.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Without knowing the details it's hard to understand why one is okay but the other isn't.

Nice to see some' positive ' vibes coming to a club trying to establish itself in a non traditional area ...☹️

Firstly the Alexander argument ..just visit the main stadium and see why the club is still unable to use the main arena , plenty of areas still fenced off and construction/ removal of temporary facilities  work going on .. 

As for taking a game on the road , as the only pro club in the area why the hell not, spread the word  ? .. Derby RU have been supporting with training facilities and the Hurricanes  have a couple of local based / produced players ..Bit of a no -brainer ..

If you just want want to an M62 dinosaur and believe everything south of Sheffield is Rugby League hell then why not just come out and say that rather than pick pick pick from behind your keyboard when teams are trying to do something different ..

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rach said:

If you just want want to an M62 dinosaur and believe everything south of Sheffield is Rugby League hell then why not just come out and say that rather than pick pick pick from behind your keyboard when teams are trying to do something different ..

Where on earth did that come from?

Midlands Hurricanes seem to be doing good work and I'm supportive of that.

The Alexander Stadium will be a prestigious home for them - I'm not a fan of athletics stadiums for RL and it's likely to be too big for them, but I think it's great that they have such an opportunity.

I'm just interested to know why the RFL aren't enforcing the L1 ground requirements.

I agree that as a regional club there is a strong argument to 'spread the word'. But as a pro club (as you point out) this shouldn't be at a field and clubhouse type set up you get in the amateur game - that really doesn't shout (semi-) professional.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rach said:

Nice to see some' positive ' vibes coming to a club trying to establish itself in a non traditional area ...☹️

Firstly the Alexander argument ..just visit the main stadium and see why the club is still unable to use the main arena , plenty of areas still fenced off and construction/ removal of temporary facilities  work going on .. 

As for taking a game on the road , as the only pro club in the area why the hell not, spread the word  ? .. Derby RU have been supporting with training facilities and the Hurricanes  have a couple of local based / produced players ..Bit of a no -brainer ..

Perhaps note the observation that non-M62 North Wales Crusaders have been blocked from doing the exact same thing that non-M62 Midland Crusaders have been allowed to do.

That was my comment. Nothing else.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Playing devil's advocate I don't think this is a great idea to be honest. 

It could well be that one community game on the road was the plan all along but because this announcement was made midway through the season it looks like the Alexandra is not available that day? 

When I first saw Derby I thought they'd be hosted by Derby Elks but the club the game will be played at has no community club there. Something like this needs to be targeted at the right people and not chosen because the club trains there. 

The club is at a new stadium and needs to be going all in on getting local people on board. Not taking a game elsewhere. 

Season ticket holders have paid for all home games and now potentially need to travel to Derby for a match. 

However, I would love to be a fly on the wall when the Hunslet fans turn up for the game. They've always been known to be gracious and not at all critical of the host teams surroundings 😂

16 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

There is also a little stand at Derby RUFC. But your point is completely fair.

Can't imagine what visitors to the Alexander Stadium to watch a Hurricanes game make of being asked to pay fifteen quid for a touchline view.

Bloke I know went to the Hurricanes-Doncaster game last Sunday. He counted 170 spectators.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Do Nottingham own their own ground?

I think they might.

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

1 hour ago, V02 said:

Why don't Midlands Hurricanes play at Nottingham Outlaws instead? That way they would actually keep the money in the game at least. 

Perhaps thats another idea for the future.

I've worked a few times at Derby, even shot a Rugby League Conference final there when the Outlaws won. 

Give it a shot. I'll be trying to get down there.

• Like 2

www.donsstats.co.uk - Full results and player stats for Doncaster RLFC from 1951 to the current day.

I believe the plan is to take at least one game on the road each season.

Derby is as good a place as anywhere to start although I was also expecting it to be at the Elks.

Outlaws would be great for next time.

I actually enjoyed watching at Portway with its grassy banks and draught beer but accept that away fans expect League 1 standard facilities wherever they go. Would be nice if everyone accepted the efforts to widen the game's horizons and enjoyed something different on a matchday.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Yorks Tim said:

I believe the plan is to take at least one game on the road each season.

Derby is as good a place as anywhere to start although I was also expecting it to be at the Elks.

Outlaws would be great for next time.

I actually enjoyed watching at Portway with its grassy banks and draught beer but accept that away fans expect League 1 standard facilities wherever they go. Would be nice if everyone accepted the efforts to widen the game's horizons and enjoyed something different on a matchday.

I don't think people generally expect standard facilities - I wouldn't say that Hunslet's ground is the same as Workington's, and neither of those are the same as Doncaster's or Oldham's. Cornwall's ground meets the requirements and is different again (primarily the union style grassy banks you refer to - but it does have a more significant stand as well).

It isn't about all being the same, but about meeting the requirements for a semi-pro competition.

If enough clubs think there should be a conversation about what should be required of facilities at League 1 level, then that will take place. It may be then that L1 could then adopt similar requirements to NCL and clubhouse and field type facilities would be acceptable.

I wouldn't be in favour of that. We have a division in our sport between those competitions that are for full member clubs - primarily as entertainment for spectators - and amateur, recreation rugby - primarily for the amusement of those taking part. My opinion is that in aiming the pro-game at spectators (and charging for attending accordingly) we should continue with requirements that ensure better spectators facilities than ground level, touchline standing.

As things stand, Derby RU, Derby Elks and Nottingham Outlaws don't play at grounds that meet the L1 requirements. But for that matter, neither does Portway or the Alexander Stadium training facility.

We have seen N Wales have to play a home match at Widnes this season in order to meet the ground requirements - to me there seems to be a lack of consistency in the application of the rules.

Nonetheless, this isn't a dig at Midlands Hurricanes. I hope they are able to continue with the good work they are doing and establish themselves as a long term fixture in the pro-game. The sooner they can move into the main stadium the better and if on the road, Midlands wide fixtures is what they are looking for, I hope they can find suitable facilities like non-league football grounds.

• Like 3

On 06/06/2023 at 09:08, Barley Mow said:

Where on earth did that come from?

Midlands Hurricanes seem to be doing good work and I'm supportive of that.

The Alexander Stadium will be a prestigious home for them - I'm not a fan of athletics stadiums for RL and it's likely to be too big for them, but I think it's great that they have such an opportunity.

I'm just interested to know why the RFL aren't enforcing the L1 ground requirements.

I agree that as a regional club there is a strong argument to 'spread the word'. But as a pro club (as you point out) this shouldn't be at a field and clubhouse type set up you get in the amateur game - that really doesn't shout (semi-) professional.

On union it does shout semi professional though, infact there is no obvious reason why our amateur clubs cannot become semi professional as you clearly point out there are several with facilities to rival league 1 clubs..

Can't see why Midlands/NWC et al after all these years in their existence don't have their own facilities rather than having to to be a lodger in other facilities. 

Perhaps if they hadn't spent their years stuffing all their income into players pockets - here today gone tomorrow-  and nothing into facilities they might now be in a more stable position.

The 170 spectators reported at the Midlands v Doncaster game suggests that the RFL/IMG are preparing these clubs for community RL where their current facilities will be quite adequate

• Like 1

On 06/06/2023 at 15:58, Hopping Mad said:

Bloke I know went to the Hurricanes-Doncaster game last Sunday. He counted 170 spectators.

You’d think he’d want to watch the game after paying admission,did he go into the bar & toilets to make sure his count was accurate ?

24 minutes ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

Can't see why Midlands/NWC et al after all these years in their existence don't have their own facilities rather than having to to be a lodger in other facilities. 

Perhaps if they hadn't spent their years stuffing all their income into players pockets - here today gone tomorrow-  and nothing into facilities they might now be in a more stable position.

The 170 spectators reported at the Midlands v Doncaster game suggests that the RFL/IMG are preparing these clubs for community RL where their current facilities will be quite adequate

Care to expand on the comment stuffing all their income into players pockets - here today and gone tomorrow. Please tell us which players this has happened to at the Crusaders and what these mercenaries were paid. 

This is not a reflection on NWC' s player recruitment policies or on their players' commitment to their club - some of which we have been only too familiar to at Hemel.

The point that is trying to be made is to put some of your money into building  your own home where you  can be the landlord rather than always the impoverished tenant.

And if you want a clue as to where to do this, go to where there is currently next to nothing and build on this - literally. No easy task, but it was done at Hemel.

Finally, it's not about how much revenue you can make from your ground on matchdays - which when given player, medical and other costs is probably a loss-making venture,- , but the revenue you generate  from your ground on the other 350+ days of the years.

If the Hurricanes are controling the entire Alexander Stadium 365 days a year they should do well. Otherwise, it's  community RL for them.

Edited by Hemel Rugby League

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

On union it does shout semi professional though, infact there is no obvious reason why our amateur clubs cannot become semi professional as you clearly point out there are several with facilities to rival league 1 clubs..

If I've pointed that out it was inadvertently, I wasn't trying to say that at all 😂

It might be that some have comparable facilities to Midlands this year, but they plan to be in the main stadium next year. Which of our amateur clubs have L1 standard facilities?

I don't have a strong opinion either way on whether community clubs become semi-pro, but I'm not aware of any that are unhappy with the current situation. Most seem to be content in their current role and accepting that the semi-pro clubs play a different role to them in the sport.

This is a major difference between us and union - their semi-pro clubs were all recreational until pretty recently and don't have a history of being set up for spectator entertainment in the way most semi-pro RL clubs do.

Most semi-pro RL clubs have the same history as our full-time SL clubs and until recently played the same roll - they were regularly among the elite of the game.

Although the gap to SL may now be greater, this means those semi-pro clubs are still geared towards being spectator entertainment in a way that semi-pro union clubs aren't and even many full-time union clubs weren't until the last few decades.

Edited by Barley Mow

1 hour ago, Hemel Rugby League said:

Ar you the actual Hemel Rugby League or someone who's chosen that name? Either way this is an incredibly simplistic view. If the clubs you mention had the millions required to own their own facilities I'm pretty sure they'd have them. Fair play to Hemel for owning their own facility but that's not practical for every club. There's some great people involved in the club but I'd hardly hold up Hemel as some shining light either BTW. 

Can't disagree with this. It's just that the various RU clubs having a go at semi-pro rugby have something to fall back on when it doesn't work out and are content to revert to community clubs - if the players haven't busted them.

The semi-pro RL clubs have nothing and the history of the past 40 years of the Kent Invictas, Scarborough Pirates, Cardiff Blue Dragons, Bramley .... West Wales Raiders etc, etc is proof of this.

Edited by Hemel Rugby League
  • Like 2