Marwan was going to close down Salford...

...if they'd lost that 'Million Pound Game' against Rovers. Tim Sheens says so in a recent podcast > 

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/tim-sheens-hull-kr-merger-8550447?

He uses the word 'merger', but basically the plan was to move some players' contracts to Hull KR and then wind the club up. How close was that? I'd have hated it to be honest, would want Rovers to have nothing to do with the sort of snidey thing that Hull FC did to Gateshead or Huddersfield did to Sheffield. Thank God it didn't happen. Does make his gallivanting on the pitch with that ridiculous giant cheque he'd had made even more disgusting than I thought it was too - thought he was just taking the p*** out of us, but little did we know he was taking the p*** out of Salford fans too.  

Edited by Hull Kingston Bronco
Typo
  • Like 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

I'm not really sure you'd call that a merger to be fair - Salford and Hull are too far apart geographically to really do that, so yeah it makes sense it would have essentially been a winding-up of the club.

That being said though even if he'd had enough of it, it could well have been the case there'd have been interested buyers etc., so I think it all seems to be down to terminology being slightly misused to be fair.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

I'm not really sure you'd call that a merger to be fair - Salford and Hull are too far apart geographically to really do that, so yeah it makes sense it would have essentially been a winding-up of the club.

That being said though even if he'd had enough of it, it could well have been the case there'd have been interested buyers etc., so I think it all seems to be down to terminology being slightly misused to be fair.

Hull to Salford is closer than Hull to Gateshead, there could definitely have been a great merger 👌 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, overtheborder said:

Yeah that's what I mean. Same nonsense as the Gateshull Thundersharks, wouldn't have been a merger at all just a stain on the game. I'm glad we lost that match to be honest, I'd never want Rovers associated with screwing over another club's supporters. 

• Like 4

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Yeah that's what I mean. Same nonsense as the Gateshull Thundersharks, wouldn't have been a merger at all just a stain on the game. I'm glad we lost that match to be honest, I'd never want Rovers associated with screwing over another club's supporters. 

Thought you was a London fan?

35 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Thought you was a London fan?

Ha ha haa, yes partly. I lived in Twickenham and then Ealing for 15 years, so had season tickets at both for a decade or so. But Rovers always came first, sorry.

Even kept my KR season ticket when I was a member at Manly Sea Eagles for 4 years, such is the obsession. 

• Like 6

I would take this with a pinch of salt. Sheens was like a rambling old man at the latter stages of his KR tenure. Even rumours that his memory was evading him. 

I do think that what Hull Sharks/Gateshead and Huddersfield/Sheffield did was utterly disgraceful and made our sport a laughing stock at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

Funny to see some journalists using this as a chance to have a go at him, when they would have been cheerleading ideas such as Liverpool. 

There is so much they could pick about his time in RL

6 hours ago, overtheborder said:

It once took me 2 hours to get from AJ Bell to Haggis house one Friday.

Looked on my mobile I realized the next bus was 25 mins away, walked - as you do- to the next at St Michaels Club, on the way it starting drizzling. Checked my phone to book an Uber, but the battery had died. That bus didn't arrive waited another 20 minutes. To add to insult on the homeward tram, it contained some Wiganers. Demonstrating how then like time, sometimes distance and travel is relative.

And yes Solly lost.

Observations.

Matty needs to knock off his SRD obsession.

Another bridge burnt for Marwan at SRD

Jamie and Neil don't come over too well if you believe this.

If true surely it is dodgy to act to dissolve another club. Opinion RFL?

Edited by idrewthehaggis

13 hours ago, Stainesrover said:

I would take this with a pinch of salt. Sheens was like a rambling old man at the latter stages of his KR tenure. Even rumours that his memory was evading him. 

I do think that what Hull Sharks/Gateshead and Huddersfield/Sheffield did was utterly disgraceful and made our sport a laughing stock at the time.

I went to a game on a corporate freebie just after that "merger" was done, Vs Bradford at the McAlpine. Jon Kear was the coach at the time and gave a pre match talk. He repeatedly called them Huddersfield Giants, only occasionally remembering to add on the Sheffield bit.

In itself that's not such a big deal but it just emphasises how I don't think anyone took it seriously, even the clubs involved. Critics might call it shoddy in fact. 

And Huddersfield got thrashed. 

12 hours ago, Red Willow said:

There is so much they could pick about his time in RL

3 hours ago, Jughead said:

And yet some still occasionally cheerlead for a Koukash return to the game. 

It was always interesting, because I do remember that if you dared to criticise him at the time there were certain sections of people who accused you of being unfriendly to outsiders and even insinuations of racism. 

• Like 1

It would be completely wrong to presume that good people can't come in from outside and improve our sport, but Koukash is a cautionary tale of why we shouldn't be convinced by a 'Monorail Man' who claims they will revolutionise the sport in return for us ceding a large part of it. It is why the game was right to reject the JV idea that was knocking about a year or two ago, and why we should never just 'give it to Eddie Hearn'.

• Like 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

24 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

It would be completely wrong to presume that good people can't come in from outside and improve our sport, but Koukash is a cautionary tale of why we shouldn't be convinced by a 'Monorail Man' who claims they will revolutionise the sport in return for us ceding a large part of it. It is why the game was right to reject the JV idea that was knocking about a year or two ago, and why we should never just 'give it to Eddie Hearn'.

Feisal Nahaboo and Probiz is another example

• Like 4

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

That report is all in the head of Sheens. He had left Salford under a cloud before the game, there was no way he was going back to Salford. 

Salford fans knew Marwen would pull out if we were relegated at the time. i think he had said it openly to some fans.

12 hours ago, Jughead said:

And yet some still occasionally cheerlead for a Koukash return to the game. 

I thought he'd declared bankruptcy? 

On 25/06/2023 at 16:33, Eddie said:

Hull to Salford is closer than Hull to Gateshead, there could definitely have been a great merger 👌 

My east coast geography isn't the best but fair play, I'm amazed at that! A good 45 or so miles difference as well according to Google.

• Like 1