Memories

1 minute ago, JonM said:

Could it be Tommy Raudonikis with the ball? It's hard to tell.

It's not Sterlo if it's 1978. Could well be Raudonikis or Bobby Fulton perhaps.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

1 minute ago, Ullman said:

It's not Sterlo if it's 1978. Could well be Raudonikis or Bobby Fulton perhaps.

Steve Martin also played stand-off on that tour. I think my dad went to this game (if it's the right one), so I could probably find the programme if I looked.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Widnes also beat the Kangaroos on that tour. They were the last British club side to beat Australia.

45 years ago, possibly something that will never happen again.

Must have been a tough place to visit - an absolutely rammed Naughton Park where the crowd had spilled over the boundary wall and lining the sides of the pitch.

• Like 2

Brilliant. I've still got a Blackpool Borough scarf from the old 'The Tangerine Dream' fanzine days, before this new-fangled interwebs thingy... showing my age 😂 

• Like 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

Is the furthest-away Kangaroo Steve Mortimer maybe?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

44 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Too early for Mortimer. He didn’t debut for the Kangaroos until 1981.

Ah, I saw the post suggesting it was 1982, but you're right about the real date being too early.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 02/08/2023 at 16:28, graveyard johnny said:

might post a nostalgia video of England playing them - it seems that long ago

I know its slightly off topic but has there been a longer period of time than the 8 years that it will be between tests between England/GB and Australia?