Beaumont on BBC TV Breakfast

Saw it, he was well behaved, amusing and I thought a good advert for the final.

• Like 11

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Β 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Fair play to him for promoting the game..Β  as much as I thought the rebrand was badly executed (change to leopards was a good idea IMHO but just badly done) you cant help but see that hisbheart is in the right place and what he is doing is good for the game at the moment.Β 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Everything on the Web and the RL programmes and blogs seems to be Leigh and Mr Beaumont, true he is a larger than life Character but he is also charismatic and one of the most generous and good hearted men about and especially in RL circles.

The BBC have had an opportunity every year to promote the game in this manner but not had the people to put in front of the camera's to sell the game, could you imagine Leneghan or Davy from last year, they would have not got peoples interest.

Got to feel for Mr Hudgell he will be the bridesmaid of the two owners at thd final, now the Leigh team have got to go out and do it, and not let HKR do the talking for their boss.

Actually this is Mr Peters motivation right here, all the spotlights and expectation is on Leigh let's go out and spoil their day.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, RP London said:

Fair play to him for promoting the game..Β  as much as I thought the rebrand was badly executed (change to leopards was a good idea IMHO but just badly done) you cant help but see that hisbheart is in the right place and what he is doing is good for the game at the moment.Β 

It worked in the place it was meant to RP in the town of Leigh, and people may initially have tuned in to watch the circus on TV, but the team has now spread the interest beyond the townsfolk and boundaries.

The Wembley shirt may also raise a few eyebrows the Leopard on the front instead of being predominantly red and white is in full technicolour, the short turnaround in production meant only 1500 were available and all sold out almost instantly they were made available.

• Like 3

He did a brilliant job, got a lot of the keynotes in - not just about the final, and the stories around it, but the game more broadly. That's no accident. Well prepared, clear objective to communicate and sell. I've prepped a load of business people for TV and radio spots and that was a 10/10.Β 

The game needs more Derek Beaumonts.Β 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

3 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

He did a brilliant job, got a lot of the keynotes in - not just about the final, and the stories around it, but the game more broadly. That's no accident. Well prepared, clear objective to communicate and sell. I've prepped a load of business people for TV and radio spots and that was a 10/10.Β 

He was his own worst enemy at one time Bronco, couldn't turn the other cheek if he received criticism, and got a lot of people's backs up because of it.

But throughout his generosity has always been there, now he has tempered his ways, doesn't get involved in team affairs and has a staff who are delivering his vision, your last sentence is exactly what the game needs and if I may, he must be a dream for your other 'passion' at the moment being IMG.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Love DB fantastic guy totally agree Derek is a salesman great stuff:)

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It worked in the place it was meant to RP in the town of Leigh, and people may initially have tuned in to watch the circus on TV, but the team has now spread the interest beyond the townsfolk and boundaries.

The Wembley shirt may also raise a few eyebrows the Leopard on the front instead of being predominantly red and white is in full technicolour, the short turnaround in production meant only 1500 were available and all sold out almost instantly they were made available.

"If you can't be excellent in every situation, be memorable"

That was drummed into me as a kid in sales training, day 1. Leigh's rebrand could have been executed so much better, I said so on here at the time and enjoyed taking the p***, but when you cut to the chase what's actually important is that he recognised the strategic challenge, did something about it, and did it fast with chutzpah. You can always improve it later.

The bigger failing is always inaction, or half-hearted action.Β Β 

• Like 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

"could you imagine Leneghan or Davy"

Er.....yes..I did imagine it...not as good as Bowmunt, though.

Lenagan, though, is a different proposition to your Leneghan. Ok, he's not out at the front waving the flag for Wigan. He is, though, quitely competent, real long term business achievement record with real money.Β Β 

But Beemint is learning and as the club progresses, he'll be called on to find the skill needed to sustain success.

It's all good fun though.πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ†πŸ†

Edited by JohnM

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

"could you imagine Leneghan or Davy"

Er.....yes..I did imagine it...not as good as Bowmunt, though.

To be fair to Ian he's quite a good communicator in all situationsΒ too, can't speak for Mr Davy. There's many styles.Β 

Β 

56 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Got to feel for Mr Hudgell he will be the bridesmaid of the two owners at thd final, now the Leigh team have got to go out and do it, and not let HKR do the talking for their boss.

That's not what Neil's interested in, or what he's ever seen his role at with Rovers. He's not that kind of leader. He just wanted Rovers to survive, and had the resilience to do the hard yards to re-build the club slowly. That's why he's the right bloke to save the lives of hundreds of Postmasters who'd had them ruined by the Post Office. More than a decade of grind, but did it in the end. Horses for courses eh. If I needed to sell something quick, I'd hire Derek. If I needed someone to stick with me for years, and help me back up, I'd call Neil Hudgell.Β 

Β 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Did you take note of the time it was on?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001phcv/breakfast-10082023

1:38:00 in...

EDIT:

He comes across really, really well.

Edited by gingerjon
  • Thanks 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.Β (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, JM2010 said:

This is what the smaller RL clubs should be doing. They might have a small population but no reason they can’t gain fans in other areas. Spread the net as wide as possible. That’s what football clubs do

You mean get their owners wearing outlandish jackets?Β 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Gomersall said:

Every time they come around plenty of people whinge about the lack of recognition RL gets when honours are dished out. Can we get Derek nominated for an MBE at worst or a Knighthood at best? TIA.

The application form is on the government website where it has always been.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.Β (Terry Pratchett)