Vegas baby!!

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

My biggest worry about this whole project is that it is a proxy marketing tool for Union in the US to bolster the sport of 'rugby'.

The fact that the most excited this guy got in the whole video was the drop goal is a worry.

I do feel that the NRL can make this work commercially but I just don't know if this will benefit the wider sport over there.  I hope so.

I've been watching this guys videos for a few weeks now, since the YT algorithm started pointing his NRL reactions to me.

He's been reacting to the NRL tries, tackles etc for a few weeks now, so it isn't a surprise he got most excited for the drop goal, as none of his reactions so far have had them in there.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Click said:

I've been watching this guys videos for a few weeks now, since the YT algorithm started pointing his NRL reactions to me.

He's been reacting to the NRL tries, tackles etc for a few weeks now, so it isn't a surprise he got most excited for the drop goal, as none of his reactions so far have had them in there.

Fair enough. 

That first part of my post was a little tongue in cheek.

But I do worry that the NRL games will be the biggest driver of recruitment for grass roots Union clubs in the US because people/parents won't know the unique code.

Although, credit to the NRL as they are pushing the name of Rugby League as much as the NRL brand.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Fair enough. 

That first part of my post was a little tongue in cheek.

But I do worry that the NRL games will be the biggest driver of recruitment for grass roots Union clubs in the US because people/parents won't know the unique code.

Although, credit to the NRL as they are pushing the name of Rugby League as much as the NRL brand.

To be honest - I have seen quite a few videos of his reactions, and he regularly just says "NRL" I don't know if I have ever actually heard him say Rugby League is the sport, so as much as it may not be too much of a worry, your first part does have some legitimacy behind it.

7 hours ago, Dunbar said:

My biggest worry about this whole project is that it is a proxy marketing tool for Union in the US to bolster the sport of 'rugby'.

The fact that the most excited this guy got in the whole video was the drop goal is a worry.

I do feel that the NRL can make this work commercially but I just don't know if this will benefit the wider sport over there.  I hope so.

It’s a point which had crossed my mind also. It is a fine line to try and distinguish the two Rugby’s from each other too. 

Reality is, if a yank behind their computer types the word Rugby into their browser, I anticipate most of the recommended links will be for Union. This is certainly a case where a unique name for the sport would be useful. Shame we didn’t take “Pro Rugby” all those years ago.

The NRL’s objective here is for the benefit of themselves, not the wider game, so the NRL brand is what they will aim to prioritise. That itself can be a differentiation should we see this venture go the full 5 yr term.

I am really looking forward to this match. I hope there is a huge Aussie themed tailgate organised to really get the party started. Complete with shrimps on the barbie, Fosters and Meter Maids wandering around.

18 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

My American friend said at least the Aussies dont have far to travel to the USA with the country being sandwiched between Brazil and Argentina or somewhere nearby:)

He's thinking of Uruguay.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

12 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Reality is, if a yank behind their computer types the word Rugby into their browser, I anticipate most of the recommended links will be for Union. This is certainly a case where a unique name for the sport would be useful. Shame we didn’t take “Pro Rugby” all those years ago.

We have a unique name - Rugby League.

How is a different name which still includes "Rugby" any better?

• Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

The key to initial success in virgin markets, is engaging with influencers, celebs to buy and promote it. Even if you have to pay them, just do it. You get traction with all their followers. 

It's exactly how F1 has gained such traction in the US (the netflix series also helped). And NFL is similar - the storylines on the back of Taylor Swift made headline news

• Like 1

On 13/02/2024 at 00:11, ATLANTISMAN said:

My American friend said at least the Aussies dont have far to travel to the USA with the country being sandwiched between Brazil and Argentina or somewhere nearby:)

How are you friends with POTUS?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Interestingly this is an Aussie based interview. Make of that what you will.

I think most NFL fans still think the players are like the 1970s/80s Steroid loaded players like Lyle Alzado etc and looking at say a linebacker now some look like the tubby props you get in Union...even Mahomes looked like he has a little bit of a gut.

The NFL v RL which is tougher is a stupid argument. RL is tough, that goes without saying and we all know that. So is NFL though, talk of padding is a misnomer. The hits are tough and would hurt like hell, the padding doesn't change that and simply adds to that. Both sports are tough, just in different ways.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Damien said:

The NFL v RL which is tougher is a stupid argument. RL is tough, that goes without saying and we all know that. So is NFL though, talk of padding is a misnomer. The hits are tough and would hurt like hell, the padding doesn't change that and simply adds to that. Both sports are tough, just in different ways.

It also shows the problem with appealing to existing NFL fans by going, "you think you know tough, fast, fun sport well yours is actually weak, slow and boring so nur ..."

We have it when folk go off on one *to union fans* that their sport is slow and dull compared to ours. I mean, it is, but you won't win too many people over by mocking something they've followed their whole lives.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

It also shows the problem with appealing to existing NFL fans by going, "you think you know tough, fast, fun sport well yours is actually weak, slow and boring so nur ..."

We have it when folk go off on one *to union fans* that their sport is slow and dull compared to ours. I mean, it is, but you won't win too many people over by mocking something they've followed their whole lives.

Yep. As an RL fan nothing annoys me more than completely inaccurate comments from RU fans, like RL is one dimensional and  just 5 drives and a kick or it's easy because we play it as a warm up in training. There are many others as we all know.

This condescending and patronising attitude does nothing but make me hate RU and those stereotypical RU types even more.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Damien said:

My Dad would beat your Dad!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Damien said:

I played varsity high school (American) football in the US. I found the stops in the US game more sudden and jarring. The hitting the ground and the tumble was less painful because of all the padding but the sudden stops felt vicious. The defenders hit really hard as they feel safer because of all the protective gear.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Damien said:

Watched one of those sports science shows, and they said a rugby tackle is equivalent to being T-boned in a car crash and an NFL tackle is equivalent to taking two sledgehammers to the ribs. I'm not sure which is worse, and I hope I never find out.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Copa said:

I played varsity high school (American) football in the US. I found the stops in the US game more sudden and jarring. The hitting the ground and the tumble was less painful because of all the padding but the sudden stops felt vicious. The defenders hit really hard as they feel safer because of all the protective gear.

Not really related but this just popped up so am sharing

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I agree that the argument that one game is tougher than another is just silly. They have different disciplines and different plays and are individually tough in their own right.

But an even more nonsensical argument is that one code's players are tougher than another.

Jim Mills didn't get tougher because he moved to League and Sam Burgess didn't get tougher when he moved to Union.  They just adapted to the game they played.  Same with League and NFL players.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris