Dentists

Up to 9 months for a private appointment where i live. 9 months for something that could easily become an emergency in 24 hours. If it does, i have absolutely 0 idea as to what i'd do.

As a service, why is dentistry so bad? Even in the private sector! I understand that Covid would have created a backlog, but it was ###### before as well.

Is it simply that there are too few dentists plying their trade? 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

13 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Up to 9 months for a private appointment where i live. 9 months for something that could easily become an emergency in 24 hours. If it does, i have absolutely 0 idea as to what i'd do.

As a service, why is dentistry so bad? Even in the private sector! I understand that Covid would have created a backlog, but it was ###### before as well.

Pretty much, although as with GP's there is a quota of emergency spots available each day for those who need it most. If you need urgent care you can ring NHS 111 and they will do an emergency referral, I had to do it a few years back when a wisdom tooth broke.

1 hour ago, MattSantos said:

Don't go private! My dentist retired last year, so I had to get a new one who does NHS work. I simply tried as many as was necessary and eventually found one about 5 miles away who had space for new patients and bingo,you just have to keep searching.

Edited by HawkMan

my dentist was  took over by a private firm who are actually called "mydentist" total rip off and stopped going now - most of the receptionists have left - the hygienist could hardly speak English - another inditement of modern Britain 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

4 hours ago, Damien said:

Backlog from Covid isn't it? 

Hard to see how. Dentist locally here was back seeing patients for check ups in late 2020 (I think) and hasn't closed since - albeit with masses of PPE/rules/social distancing for a chunk of that time.

We're also lucky the despite losing half the staff because of Brexit - or, rather, the atmosphere around Brexit and funding for health which makes working on an EU passport in the EU that much easier and worthwhile, but the people impossible to replace once they have gone - they have kept open an NHS list and are pretty good at seeing people regularly on it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It`s the same at most doctors ring up.....you are 17th in the queue , by the time you get through sorry no appointments ring back tomorrow .   Ring back at dead on 0800hrs......you are 20th in the queue , you finally get through , sorry no appointments , ring back tomorrow..........and repeat .

We've been living in Lincs for three years.  An NHS dentist is not to be had, so we time some of our visits back to Leeds to coincide with dental appointments at our NHS dentist

• Like 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 21/08/2023 at 17:33, gingerjon said:

Hard to see how. Dentist locally here was back seeing patients for check ups in late 2020 (I think) and hasn't closed since - albeit with masses of PPE/rules/social distancing for a chunk of that time.

It's the nature of the job. All that drilling and spraying is ideal for spreading viruses. Yes - they opened after a couple of months, but they needed more cleaning time between jobs, so there were less slots for actual patients. They were much more affected than GPs.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

8 hours ago, Griff said:

It's the nature of the job. All that drilling and spraying is ideal for spreading viruses. Yes - they opened after a couple of months, but they needed more cleaning time between jobs, so there were less slots for actual patients. They were much more affected than GPs.

Yes - I remember they had to do a huge amount of shifting space as well like one-way in corridors, seat spacing in waiting rooms etc etc.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 22/08/2023 at 12:45, ivans82 said:

It`s the same at most doctors ring up.....you are 17th in the queue , by the time you get through sorry no appointments ring back tomorrow .   Ring back at dead on 0800hrs......you are 20th in the queue , you finally get through , sorry no appointments , ring back tomorrow..........and repeat .

Ours has online booking....pretty sure they all do don't they? You have to log on as they release the new ones each day....ours is 8am

On 22/08/2023 at 21:15, ivans82 said:

Father-in-law who is 82 arrived from the UK two weeks ago. Last Friday he, me and youngest daughter, tested positive to Covid.  Yesterday although he felt well he still had a cough so the wife rang our Doctors to see if she could make an appointment for him for a check-up.

One hour later he was being seen by a Doctor and was told everything was  OK but was given some anti-biotics.  It cost $40 - about £20 - for the consultation and $11 - £5 - for the anti-biotics  Father-in-law said that he would be happy to pay £20 if he could get an appointment the same day back in Cas.

• 6 months later...

another dentist visit and another £70 lighter - he wants to see me again in 3 months - its a tale - will be cancelling my next appointment - too expensive at Mydentist 

Edited by graveyard johnny
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

another dentist visit and another £70 lighter - he wants to see me again in 3 months - its a tale - will be cancelling my next appointment - too expensive at Mydentist 

I honestly urge you not to do that. I made a similar decision years ago and regret it. My teeth deteriorated and I eventually went back. In April I'll be having the fourth extraction in 6 months. Any more and I'll be having trouble chewing. Your teeth are invaluable look after them.

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

Ahh you're on the naughty list then.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 minute ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Ahh you're on the naughty list then.

think he just wants another easy £70 - well like I said "its a tale"

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

What did you get done for £70? Private or NHS? We're with a My Dentist practice and NHS checkups are about £25.

https://www.mydentist.co.uk/patient-information/nhs-treatments-and-costs

If it's part of the same treatment, then you just pay once.

As you know.

2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

think he just wants another easy £70 - well like I said "its a tale"

If you're not careful they'll be calling you Johnny Rotten teeth.

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

As I don't know. 

I only ever pay for a check up. About £ 25 for the last one, plus I get 2 free samples of toothpaste on the way in and 2 free samples on the way out, plus text and phone call reminders to make sure I turn up for the next appointment.

I'm due to have a crown on one of my back teeth. My dentist  did the preparation work and fitted a slab of filling over the stump about six weeks ago.

After delays, I'm due to have the crown fitted next week, by a different dentist. My proper dentist has had brain surgery; he's probably in his late twenties or early thirties. Really nice bloke 😧

Edited by Wolford6

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

I appreciate that finding an NHS dentist may be very difficult but not impossible. Avoiding all politics.

We live in Lincolnshire.

We have an NHS dentist in Lincolnshire .

That dentist is a MyDentist practice.

A new NHS dentist has just set up in a town just 4 miles from here,too.

There is an alternative.

https://www.dental-world.co.uk/p/restoratives/glass-ionomers/gc/glass-ionomer-fuji-ix-gp-gc-11-pack-a3/31706

Edited by JohnM