Newcastle Thunder — Relegation?

I know that opting for part time has detracted from Thunder’s ability to attract professional players. However, the championship is about to see a targeted city relegated back to league 1. Surely more should be discussed about this downfall. Where are the supporters, the neutrals and the detractors?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

I know that opting for part time has detracted from Thunder’s ability to attract professional players. However, the championship is about to see a targeted city relegated back to league 1. Surely more should be discussed about this downfall. Where are the supporters, the neutrals and the detractors?

I think the lack of discussion is because it's not surprising at all that they're bottom in the Championship. They had less money to spend this year, went part-time, lost a large chunk of their better players and their recruitment was low-key. It's hard to see how they will reverse this trend to be honest given the purse strings have clearly been tightened significantly.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

I don't think they've ever been a targeted city in the proper sense - that's not the growth model RFL/SL has ever taken anywhere in a serious long term and sustained way. They have had good amateur growth, but that seems to have been mostly locally driven.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, plug said:

Why do these big city's think they have the right to be in the top leauge sport is about results on the pitch and as it stands Newcastle arn't good enough to be in the championship nevermind SL 

They don't think that, nobody from Newcastle Thunder (or London Broncos before them) has ever complained about their situation.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

They don't think that, nobody from Newcastle Thunder (or London Broncos before them) has ever complained about their situation.

It's not what the op sounds like he was saying he states more should be done to protect these so called big city clubs from relagation 

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, plug said:

Why do these big city's think they have the right to be in the top leauge sport is about results on the pitch and as it stands Newcastle arn't good enough to be in the championship nevermind SL 

I agree its about results on the pitch, BUT Is it not IMG spreadsheet rugby from next year?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, plug said:

They don’t think that. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, EggFace said:

I stoppe going to Thunder after the lockdown finshed apart from the friday eve game before Magic.

Newcastle is just into football sadly with a  bit of little Rugby Union (which keeps me a little sane).

Your sanity will be tested then when European hordes descend on the city ....quite soon, next month Champions League starts.

Edited by HawkMan
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, EggFace said:

I stoppe going to Thunder after the lockdown finshed apart from the friday eve game before Magic.

Newcastle is jusy to into football sadly with a bit of little Rugby Union (which keeps me a little sane).

You think rugby yawnion keeps you sane?! I think you maybe already failed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EggFace said:

Newcastle is jusy to into football sadly with a bit of little Rugby Union (which keeps me a little sane).

Do you live in the North East? 

Newcastle Thunder are great as either a steady Championship or top League 1 club SL NO no matter what some say on here.

I would focus more on some traditional areas and i include London in this (Whose jnr development is excellent) Widnes who were totally stuffed by the Richard Lewis regime and Toulouse.

Edited by ATLANTISMAN

6 minutes ago, meast said:

Things will be alright once they replace Salford or Huddersfield in super league 👍🏼

By 2030? - https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/12125231/newcastle-thunder-aiming-to-cause-a-storm-with-super-league-ambitions

If only they got artificial promotion to Super League like Leigh did - then got a parachute payment.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Your sanity will be tested then when European hordes descend on the city ....quite soon, next month Champions League starts.

i be a nervous wreck considering my nephews are Football nuts and not only love Newcastle but will go and watch Sunderland, Blyth etc

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I miss ShropshireBull telling us how Newcastle should be in SL with York. Not a clue what's happened to him.

Bless him, I remember him saying that once Trinity’s new stand was finished, there would be nothing to stop them challenging at the top of the game. As a Wakey fan, I thought yep, this I can’t wait to see! 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, EggFace said:

i be a nervous wreck considering my nephews are Football nuts and not only love Newcastle but will go and watch Sunderland, Blyth etc

They love Newcastle but will go and watch Sunderland? I wouldn't have thought so. Blyth maybe.

37 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

They love Newcastle but will go and watch Sunderland? I wouldn't have thought so. Blyth maybe.

They are not Sunderland fans but like goung to see different teams and grounds as when Sunderland were not in the same league as Newcastle they were curious of seeing Roker Park etc...not season ticket holders anymore for the North Middle Eastern Magpies as I think they just can't get them.