Sun 3rd Sept: SL: Wakefield Trinity v St Helens KO 15:00

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/09/23 at 14:30

That was a glass half full defeat today. Some stupid errors lost us a potential win  (and Saints errors prevented a heavier defeat) but we really dug in and never let our heads drop. Fans showed their appreciation at the end. Nice touch from Jack Welsby applauding the Wakey end and getting applause back for his efforts. It's how it should be and had a feel good factor about it. 

• Like 4

Also decent performance from the ref. Nice to see him picking up offside on the try line, one to each side which showed consistency.  Also big enough to listen to his TJ and change possibly his most obvious mistake. Some inconsistency about interpreting "above the horizontal" but generally allowed a decent game and as is often said on here made less mistakes than the players.

7 minutes ago, north yorks trinity said:

Also decent performance from the ref. Nice to see him picking up offside on the try line, one to each side which showed consistency.  Also big enough to listen to his TJ and change possibly his most obvious mistake. Some inconsistency about interpreting "above the horizontal" but generally allowed a decent game and as is often said on here made less mistakes than the players.

Pretty balanced performance from the ref but I though the touchy (was it Jack Smith) missed a few forward passes that might have made the game tighter.  The two obstructions that were let go when the ball carrier was allowed to surrender were a bit frustrating as the offending dummy runners had actually taken out a defender.  

All in all a lovely day at sunny Belle Vue.  A bit pathetic that the Saints Twitter guy chose to use a pre development year old photo of the ground though in his post. 

• Like 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

I think the summaries above are pretty much the same as mine. Wakey were their own enemy at times, but keeping the score down was at least slightly positive if they weren't to win. I can sniff a win against Catalans on Friday if they can get themselves back up for it. But for conceding 2 late tries just before half-time, Wakefield matched Saints for much of the first half. 

Decent Saints following, Wakey not dead yet IMO.

Bit of a blow that Dagger sustained a broken collar bone and will miss the rest of the season. 

• Sad 1

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

1 hour ago, Josef K said:

That’ll be Norman, i can’t see him playing against Leigh on Friday. 

I doubt he would have been playing anyway as Knowles would take his place as he was just being rested for a niggling injury this week.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Season ending late shot missed by all three officials.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

39 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

That was an horrendous hit. 

Behave !!!

His shoulder was already dipped and his feet planted to make the tackle before Dagger released the ball and the contact was shoulder on shoulder, no head contact whatsoever.

Under the current rules almost all the 'late hit' tackles like this have attracted a Grade B, £250 fine punishment this year so i'd expect the same for Hurrell. Almost irrelevant though given he went of injured and is unlikely to play against Leigh this week anyway.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

He's the nicest guy in the game, always plays with a smile on his face.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

5 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

I need a hearing test then, I'm sure I can hear the Ref say "OK, OK, play on"

Well that's even worse.  I gave him the benefit of the doubt initially.  

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

6 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Behave !!!

His shoulder was already dipped and his feet planted to make the tackle before Dagger released the ball and the contact was shoulder on shoulder, no head contact whatsoever.

Under the current rules almost all the 'late hit' tackles like this have attracted a Grade B, £250 fine punishment this year so i'd expect the same for Hurrell. Almost irrelevant though given he went of injured and is unlikely to play against Leigh this week anyway.

Ok I’m happy to be educated, forgetting the late hit what exactly constitutes a shoulder charge these days? I thought they were illegal and that just ended a guys season. I’m surprised that Paul Wellen’s isn’t up in arms regarding it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bobbruce said:

He’s got 1 game I think. 

Any news on what sanction "OK, OK, play on"  Griffiths got?

Wakefield Trinity RLFC

1 minute ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Any news on what sanction "OK, OK, play on"  Griffiths got?

What do you want to happen these tackles are a fraction of a seconds late I genuinely don’t know how they judge them anymore. Especially for a ref watching it in real time.