Squad for 2024.

jroyales

35 minutes ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Tbh, we're all like the cast of dad's army. You have the private Frasers who say we're doomed I tell ya, doomed. Then you have the corporal Jones' who shout don't panic and they don't like it up em. Me I'm Godfrey, got to sit near the toilets cos I'm there four times a match.😄

Let's hope the opposition don't like it up 'em.

On 02/09/2023 at 17:00, Happyed said:

🤦‍♂️ ffs bring back Hamilton then eh?!

God no and we need him at Widnes to try and get those 4 signings from them on the cheap 😀

8 hours ago, Roughyed Rats said:

What Fordy actually ‘harps on about’ is young Oldham lads aspiring to play for the club. At no point has he said we will have a team just full of Oldham lads. Plainly, that would be ridiculous. Personally, I just want the best possible team playing for my club. If they are Oldham lads then great. If not, they’ll still get my support.

As for the finances, my understanding is that the club’s significant debt has been cleared by the new owners. The first time this club has been debt free in god knows how many years. That being the case,  I think I’ll trust them to make the right financial decisions. 

It seems that some people either don’t listen or are just using any opportunity to complain. 

Yes I know we won't have a team full of Oldham lads , it's not like Saints , Wigan or Leeds have a team full of their lads either . But he has made a big point of mentioning this with Turner and Johnson , my point is I hope that the majority of Hartley , Cameron and Slater are offered contracts , it shows to the youngsters you can effectively start at Oldham too not go somewhere else first . I'm not in any inner circle at the club so maybe they will get offers , they won't be on much and we need a squad , also if we don't see them next season maybe that is their choice . 

I'm glad we're debt free now , I do trust them to get things right . As I said it probably comes from following Roughyeds now for some time with all that has entailed . But it is in part a concern about the state of Rugby League in general especially outside the Super League and their TV money . Even in Super League Wakey and Salford have had struggles , Giants rely heavily on Davy , all 3 have the TV money and better attendances than us . In the Championship , Bradford always seem in and out of a mess , Widnes and Newcastle seem in trouble . There are other clubs struggling but Fev , Halifax and others seem to do OK , so there is hope .

Lastly no on both points on my part, can't speak for everyone but likewise a forum should have different opinions no matter whether we agree or disagree .

• Like 2

On 02/09/2023 at 13:51, Rob95 said:

I doubt we will see McNally, Ridyard or Ah Van next season as Fordy will have his ideas in these positions and we already have Ellis and are supposed to be chasing a half back from Widnes . 
Others mention Wilky and Baker to Widnes  , if so that's 5 of our starting 13 gone straight away . 
Fordy harps on about Oldham lads etc , this season we have Johnson , Hartley , Cameron and Slater that I know of , so 4 of them . We have Johnson for next year , Turner and the Widnes forward potentially , so 3 so far .
I overheard someone at the Midlands game talking about Slater , I presume family/friends and they were saying that Slater hasn't been offered anything which I think would be a shame as he is a good young Oldham lad , the same would go for Cameron and Hartley too . 

OK so maybe being a Roughyeds fan causes this but I am more pessimistic about the state of the club . Turner will be on a large contract , Ellis and if true Wardle (Halifax lad) the same .Johnson who for me is our 3rd best prop will be on a decent wage .  Some I know at Dewsbury mentioned Ferguson  (Pontefract lad) is coming ,again will be fairly large wage , I have no idea what Whittel will be on but I would imagine not the wages of other 5 .We are also supposed to be after 4 from Widnes if the rumours are true , so the pessimist in me wonders where all this money is coming from , are we building a club on foundations made of sand , I really hope I am wrong and this just comes with being a Roughyeds fan . 

For all the negativity around Littler before it became obvious he was a lame duck and the Wigan influx disrupted the team ,we were playing good rugby . We had drawn with Dewsbury at home (should have won) , should have beaten Doncaster at theirs at least once, comfortably beat Hunslet at home and Midlands away . 

As a Oldham fan I just want to see good players playing for my club, all this about Oldham lads to me is nonsense if we get a quality player and he is from Oldham it’s a bonus.  A lot of lads from Wigan youth setup are not actually born and bread wiganers. Majority of the lads from Oldham in the current squad are unfortunately miles off the mark and let us down at times.

for what my opinion and majority of the fan base who go to games is worth and not come on here with an agenda the players I would keep are Ridyard Baker McNally  Nelmes and Wilkinson. 

The rumours of the players coming in have no doubt caused a major effect on this season but with the calibre of players that are coming in we should be excited about what Ford is building. 

4 hours ago, ManchesterYed said:

As a Oldham fan I just want to see good players playing for my club, all this about Oldham lads to me is nonsense if we get a quality player and he is from Oldham it’s a bonus.  A lot of lads from Wigan youth setup are not actually born and bread wiganers. Majority of the lads from Oldham in the current squad are unfortunately miles off the mark and let us down at times.

for what my opinion and majority of the fan base who go to games is worth and not come on here with an agenda the players I would keep are Ridyard Baker McNally  Nelmes and Wilkinson. 

The rumours of the players coming in have no doubt caused a major effect on this season but with the calibre of players that are coming in we should be excited about what Ford is building. 

I also attend games and ideally I would also like to keep the 5 mentioned , my point is though we have Ellis and if rumours are true that we want Danny Craven where does that leave Ridyard . If Ridyard goes would McNally stay .
If Widnes want Wilky and Baker is that a better commute for them , but also would they go as they know what it is like working with Hamilton . 
Carr isn't our player so that depends on the Giants , but where does Turner see himself playing , centre/second row/loose ?. 

Yes there are loads of "ifs" but hopefully in about a month (thinking positive here😀) this will be the only thread we're commenting on . We might not get all the Widnes lads , or even be after them but so far unless I missing ones we maybe looking at 
Turner, Wardle , Ellis , Johnson , Ferguson , 4 from Widnes . I've probably missed some and there may be current players re-signed but not announced . But so far 9 players so well on the way .

5 hours ago, ManchesterYed said:

Why would you think that you speak for the majority of the fan base? 

Ive been to every game this season bar Cornwall.

My opinion could be different than yours. I respect yours.

You have mentioned an agenda again.

Out of curiousity what is the agenda?

My gut feeling is if Littler gets a job, Ridyard will likely follow him. They are good mates. That said I would like Ridyard still in the squad with quality players around him.
McNally is a class player but time and injuries are catching up. If Wilkie and Baker have signed for Widnes as rumoured then I wish them well.
I think Ellis need a hard off season to regain fitness and lose some pounds. He is a top player and will he an asset (hopefully) 

I am guessing Turner will play centre as that has been his position for many years  he was excellent though as a loose forward at Salford.
Some of Fords comments about home grown players are getting taken out of content  He wants every kid coming through the system to want to play for Oldham as first choice rather than Wigan or Leeds etc  if in the short term tee can pick up a top home grown player then all the better 

All teams are made up of players from all areas, in fact few of the 50’s and 80’s great teams were Oldhamers. But we still supported them  

Biggest signing is the right coach. Has one already been signed but being kept quiet or are we still going through the process. I suspect the former as employing assistant coaches with the head clad coach already in charge seems strange. 

2 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

My gut feeling is if Littler gets a job, Ridyard will likely follow him. They are good mates. That said I would like Ridyard still in the squad with quality players around him.
McNally is a class player but time and injuries are catching up. If Wilkie and Baker have signed for Widnes as rumoured then I wish them well.
I think Ellis need a hard off season to regain fitness and lose some pounds. He is a top player and will he an asset (hopefully) 

I am guessing Turner will play centre as that has been his position for many years  he was excellent though as a loose forward at Salford.
Some of Fords comments about home grown players are getting taken out of content  He wants every kid coming through the system to want to play for Oldham as first choice rather than Wigan or Leeds etc  if in the short term tee can pick up a top home grown player then all the better 

All teams are made up of players from all areas, in fact few of the 50’s and 80’s great teams were Oldhamers. But we still supported them  

Biggest signing is the right coach. Has one already been signed but being kept quiet or are we still going through the process. I suspect the former as employing assistant coaches with the head clad coach already in charge seems strange. 

Would imagine that all will become clearer on the head coach when the current season has finished. 

• Like 1

Rumours coming out of Keighley that Mo Agoro is leaving us and joining you after this season. Would be a great signing I think, makes great metres coming out of back play and knows where the try line is. A little suspect under the high ball, especially if under pressure, but a great one on one defender.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indigogo said:

Rumours coming out of Keighley that Mo Agoro is leaving us and joining you after this season. Would be a great signing I think, makes great metres coming out of back play and knows where the try line is. A little suspect under the high ball, especially if under pressure, but a great one on one defender.

We know all about Mo. Great bloke. Tough winger. Cracking on a bit, mind.

15 hours ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

Wow. Let's hope he's still got the drive and firepower of old.

Enough for C1 that's for sure but a 2 year deal is surprising.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, sheddingswasus said:

Rugby League Live reported that Owen Farnworth has signed a 2 year contract. That is three big hard props for next year. 

Now that's an unbelievable signing if true. Him and Kopczak, in addition to Turner would all be quality signings in my view.

3 minutes ago, sheddingswasus said:

I'd happily take all four. Certainly Farnworth (who is only 24) and Lawton (30) are top quality. Brown is a local lad and Craven is a very good halfback but has had a run of bad injuries. Shaping up for an exciting season next year (but still not given up on this year yet).

Edited by Roughyed Rats
  • Like 2