Squad for 2024.

jroyales

Since we are coming to the end of this campaign, who do you think will be retained from the present squad?

Some will argue it depends which division we are in but I'd like to have a squad that will win every game in division 1 and holds its own in the championship. I'm sure other teams are putting their 2024 squads together as we speak.

Fordy has already said the squad will be a mid to high championship squad, irrespective of which division we're in. Takes me back to 1990 when we were a first division team in all but name. Lancs cup final, challenge cup semi final, 2nd Division premiership winners at old Trafford. Some big names fell to us that year.  But the one thing we seem to forget we weren't champions. If I recall we were third hull kr and hairnets above us. But not every team played each other home and away.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Art of Hand and Foot said:

Fordy has already said the squad will be a mid to high championship squad, irrespective of which division we're in.

Given that some of the greatest players, both forwards and backs, that have ever played League have come from Union sides.

I wonder if Fordy could use his extensive contacts within Rugby Union to unearth a potential, or future, 'superstar' for us such as Johnathan Davies, Keith Fielding, David Watkins, Billy Boston, Scott Gibbs etc. 

But, WITHOUT 'Breaking the Bank, so to speak.

• Haha 1

I try to keep myself off this forum but I don’t believe this board is a true reflection of the fan base opinions on players and is agenda driven.

our best players if you know anything about playing  rugby are McNally Ridyard Baker and Wilkinson. Which is detailed in every opposition coaches pre match preview about our attacking plays coming from these players and I feel the players around them have let them down at times this season. 

Moran Rawsthorne and Johnson have been brilliant recruits from Ford. 

1 hour ago, ManchesterYed said:

I try to keep myself off this forum but I don’t believe this board is a true reflection of the fan base opinions on players and is agenda driven.

our best players if you know anything about playing  rugby are McNally Ridyard Baker and Wilkinson. Which is detailed in every opposition coaches pre match preview about our attacking plays coming from these players and I feel the players around them have let them down at times this season. 

Mostly agree with this.

Also some "effort based " performances from players not mentioned are not appreciated by some.

Not sure about an agenda, I think some players catch the eye with a few plays during a game but their overall performance may be overlooked. 

3 hours ago, ManchesterYed said:

No idea what ‘agenda’ people might have other than personal opinion?

McNally has been underwhelming at best this year. Wilkinson the same whilst Littler was here but has been excellent since Fordy took over. Baker has been OK. Ridyard is a top player and leader at this level. If we get promoted, I’m not sure I’d keep any of them. No agenda. Just my opinion.

I doubt we will see McNally, Ridyard or Ah Van next season as Fordy will have his ideas in these positions and we already have Ellis and are supposed to be chasing a half back from Widnes . 
Others mention Wilky and Baker to Widnes  , if so that's 5 of our starting 13 gone straight away . 
Fordy harps on about Oldham lads etc , this season we have Johnson , Hartley , Cameron and Slater that I know of , so 4 of them . We have Johnson for next year , Turner and the Widnes forward potentially , so 3 so far .
I overheard someone at the Midlands game talking about Slater , I presume family/friends and they were saying that Slater hasn't been offered anything which I think would be a shame as he is a good young Oldham lad , the same would go for Cameron and Hartley too . 

OK so maybe being a Roughyeds fan causes this but I am more pessimistic about the state of the club . Turner will be on a large contract , Ellis and if true Wardle (Halifax lad) the same .Johnson who for me is our 3rd best prop will be on a decent wage .  Some I know at Dewsbury mentioned Ferguson  (Pontefract lad) is coming ,again will be fairly large wage , I have no idea what Whittel will be on but I would imagine not the wages of other 5 .We are also supposed to be after 4 from Widnes if the rumours are true , so the pessimist in me wonders where all this money is coming from , are we building a club on foundations made of sand , I really hope I am wrong and this just comes with being a Roughyeds fan . 

For all the negativity around Littler before it became obvious he was a lame duck and the Wigan influx disrupted the team ,we were playing good rugby . We had drawn with Dewsbury at home (should have won) , should have beaten Doncaster at theirs at least once, comfortably beat Hunslet at home and Midlands away . 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rob95 said:

I doubt we will see McNally, Ridyard or Ah Van next season as Fordy will have his ideas in these positions and we already have Ellis and are supposed to be chasing a half back from Widnes . 
Others mention Wilky and Baker to Widnes  , if so that's 5 of our starting 13 gone straight away . 
Fordy harps on about Oldham lads etc , this season we have Johnson , Hartley , Cameron and Slater that I know of , so 4 of them . We have Johnson for next year , Turner and the Widnes forward potentially , so 3 so far .
I overheard someone at the Midlands game talking about Slater , I presume family/friends and they were saying that Slater hasn't been offered anything which I think would be a shame as he is a good young Oldham lad , the same would go for Cameron and Hartley too . 

OK so maybe being a Roughyeds fan causes this but I am more pessimistic about the state of the club . Turner will be on a large contract , Ellis and if true Wardle (Halifax lad) the same .Johnson who for me is our 3rd best prop will be on a decent wage .  Some I know at Dewsbury mentioned Ferguson  (Pontefract lad) is coming ,again will be fairly large wage , I have no idea what Whittel will be on but I would imagine not the wages of other 5 .We are also supposed to be after 4 from Widnes if the rumours are true , so the pessimist in me wonders where all this money is coming from , are we building a club on foundations made of sand , I really hope I am wrong and this just comes with being a Roughyeds fan . 

For all the negativity around Littler before it became obvious he was a lame duck and the Wigan influx disrupted the team ,we were playing good rugby . We had drawn with Dewsbury at home (should have won) , should have beaten Doncaster at theirs at least once, comfortably beat Hunslet at home and Midlands away . 

🤦‍♂️ ffs bring back Hamilton then eh?!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rob95 said:

What Fordy actually ‘harps on about’ is young Oldham lads aspiring to play for the club. At no point has he said we will have a team just full of Oldham lads. Plainly, that would be ridiculous. Personally, I just want the best possible team playing for my club. If they are Oldham lads then great. If not, they’ll still get my support.

As for the finances, my understanding is that the club’s significant debt has been cleared by the new owners. The first time this club has been debt free in god knows how many years. That being the case,  I think I’ll trust them to make the right financial decisions. 

It seems that some people either don’t listen or are just using any opportunity to complain. 

Edited by Roughyed Rats
  • Like 4