Match thread: Championship Round 26. Toulouse v Featherstone Rovers. Saturday 16th September 2023.

marklaspalmas

Just two league fixtures (warm up friendlies) left to complete before a week off.

Then the season starts with semi-final and hopefully the week after a final.

Now, I know that's not true but it sometimes feels like it.

Take next Saturday's game. What are we supposed to make of this?

It's Second v First, but both those places have been fixed for weeks.

It's also a lot of people's tip for the Grand Final match up.

So, how do we play it?

I think we'll go for a bit of the same as the Newcastle game. Rest whoever needs a rest, try out some options. Build towards the playoffs.

Apart from the 16 who played at Newcastle, we have Leilua, Lockwood and Hankinson who were all presumably rested.

Then Ford, Hau, Briscoe, Yei and Bussey all aiming to come back from injuries.

No news yet on Gadwin Springer's injury.

Is anyone heading over to France? What with the onion world cup and shifting that stadium and the lack of relevance of the match, there won't be the normally sizeable Fev contingent I suspect.

15 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I've got flights booked. Sadly, my wife lost her battle with cancer last weekend and I don't think I'll be in the mood to travel, but I'll decide on thursday night.  Not been since 2019 and it'll be a shame to miss it.

Very sorry to hear that David, my condolences.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I've got flights booked. Sadly, my wife lost her battle with cancer last weekend and I don't think I'll be in the mood to travel, but I'll decide on thursday night.  Not been since 2019 and it'll be a shame to miss it.

Very sorry for your loss. You take care mate.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

So sorry to hear that,  deepest sympathy to you and your family.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

Deepest condolences to you and your family 🙏

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Shepherd said:

You have my sincere condolences for your loss

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Sorry to hear that. Condolences.

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

4 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Sorry to hear your sad news. If you decide to go, I am sure your wife would give you her blessing. Have a good time if you do.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Incredibly sorry to hear this David, deepest condolences.

• Like 1

On 10/09/2023 at 12:05, marklaspalmas said:

Apart from the 16 who played at Newcastle, we have Leilua, Lockwood and Hankinson who were all presumably rested.

Then Ford, Hau, Briscoe, Yei and Bussey all aiming to come back from injuries.

No news yet on Gadwin Springer's injury.

Both squads named. Ford, Bussey and Hau are included, but no Springer, Yei or Briscoe. Ellis Longstaff makes way

For Toulouse, they are missing the two outstanding players from their win at our place - half back Josh Ralph, and back row Dom Peyroux, who reportedly has a broken hand (which if true would have to put his playoff availability in jeopardy).

I wonder if Hau, Bussey and Ford will all make comebacks in this match, or if one or two will wait for Widnes a week Saturday.

Hopefully Briscoe, Yei and Springer will come into the reckoning by then too.

The week off we've earned will be handy in that respect.

I would expect Bussey on the bench, to get 20 minutes. Otherwise I cant see him playing  apart in the playoffs.

I would also expect Ford to play, if he is going to break down, then rather now than the playoff semi / final.

With Hau, I would play him. Out with a HIA layoff so can see why not, and he brings so much.

Edited by bigbaldnmad
  • Like 1