Castleford stadium.

1 hour ago, M j M said:

They didn't do it years ago because it's a waste of money that would be better saved up for either the new stadium they were working on for years or the backup plan for a proper redevelopment of Wheldon Road. Forcing clubs into taking short-term measures which aren't really in their interests and don't really improve things is an unfortunate by-product of the spreadsheet exercise.

The problem here is that there is no certainty that their full development will ever happen. On that basis, improving what they have now makes sense. 

If their future development was 100% guaranteed then I'd agree with you. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The problem here is that there is no certainty that their full development will ever happen. On that basis, improving what they have now makes sense. 

If their future development was 100% guaranteed then I'd agree with you. 

You could have said that for any of the redevelopments clubs have done over the years. Cas have been ridiculously unlucky in how things have  panned out for them and have spent so much money already in trying to get the new stadium and then the redevelopment done. It just seems a waste to spend more on unproductive diversions like this when the main prize is getting closer now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, M j M said:

You could have said that for any of the redevelopments clubs have done over the years. Cas have been ridiculously unlucky in how things have  panned out for them and have spent so much money already in trying to get the new stadium and then the redevelopment done. It just seems a waste to spend more on unproductive diversions like this when the main prize is getting closer now.

It's only a waste if the new development happens quickly. 

And of course it could be said for other developments but the vast majority of clubs in SL, if not all now play in better grounds than when SL started. 

I'm not being critical of Cas' efforts, I agree with you about the difficulties, but that's the point. They can have improvements now guaranteed, or maybe some plans may come to fruition sometime in future, or not. 

I'm afraid they are at the point that guaranteed improvements are needed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It's only a waste if the new development happens quickly. 

I think it's a waste because I don't think there was much demand for this additional seating and this change reduces the capacity of the ground overall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, M j M said:

I think it's a waste because I don't think there was much demand for this additional seating and this change reduces the capacity of the ground overall.

Fair, I don't know the capacity changes, but I would question about demand as per my earlier post, the stand at Cas is dire, I'd be surprised if there wasn't demand for these seats.

Every other stadium has that demand. 

Edited by Dave T

Let’s be straight here, Cas have traded for years on the often described ‘amazing atmosphere at Wheldon Road’ and the fact that just across the Common Belle Vue was much worse than their ground. It’s allowed them to slip through almost unnoticed while the stadium increasingly deteriorated around them. The redevelopment of Trinity’s stadium and the introduction of IMGs grading have stripped away the protections while their fall down the league table has also removed another justification for remaining in SL.

Im not ignoring their plight in terms of securing new stadium funding, they’re suffering just the same way that Wakefield did with poor timing, a crashed economy, changed shopping habits and dodgy developers. They have however sat on their hands a little safe in the knowledge that they were competing for play offs and cup comps so we’re safe in SL while knowing if a team was for the chop due to poor facilities, Trinity would fall before them. Not the case now so they’re panicking and doing botch jobs

• Like 5

I suspect the seats have been put in to maintain the required seating number for img should they start the demolition of the current seating stand for the new one which would take probably 18 months. perhaps this is more to ensure they don’t lose points rather than gain them. 

A couple of points 

Princess Street seating is permanent and will remain even when new stand is built

The railings at the front of the stand will be removed

New floodlights will be installed , so the current ones down the side of Princess Street will be removed , allowing a much clearer view . 

A new roof will be installed on Princess Street and Wheldon Road stands

Railway End will also have more aesthetic improvements . No new roof planned for Railway End at the moment

Capacity will be reduced

These are improvements solely for IMG grading criteria

They are being funded by the £2M WMDC fund which has already been taken up by Wakey and Fev . Cas are the last of the 3 clubs to receive the funding.

30 minutes ago, dboy said:

Jepson said NO new roof on Prince's St stand.

Also, you are not getting all that for £2m (community money, but hey ho).

When the Axiom build is ditched - and it will be - Cas are toast.

If ditched then we would still get same points for stadium as other SL clubs . Revenue would be down though . Can't see it being ditched as things stand . Axiom now have PP and have spent too much cash to back out unless things change in the meantime. We'll have to see.

Edited by Taffy Tiger

2 hours ago, Taffy Tiger said:

A couple of points 

Princess Street seating is permanent and will remain even when new stand is built

New floodlights will be installed , so the current ones down the side of Princess Street will be removed , allowing a much clearer view . 

Railway End will also have more aesthetic improvements . No new roof planned for Railway End at the moment

Capacity will be reduced

They are being funded by the £2M WMDC fund which has already been taken up by Wakey and Fev . Cas are the last of the 3 clubs to receive the funding.

Any roof will do, it doesn’t have to be a new one! 😉 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Taffy Tiger said:

A couple of points 

Capacity will be reduced

I'd be interested to know what Fev have spent on. 

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I didn't think Fev had used it tbh? Perhaps on the conference suite area that is also used for other community functions? 

I don't see why they can't? /don't use some for safe standing on the PO end and the floodlights. 

Edited by Fevrover

Just now, Fevrover said:

I don't see why they can't? don't use some for safe standing on the PO end and the floodlights. 

Originally there was supposed to be some "community benefit" attached to the funding being used. Not sure how liberally that is now being interpreted...

26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Originally there was supposed to be some "community benefit" attached to the funding being used. Not sure how liberally that is now being interpreted...

Yeah there were but correct me if iam wrong ( usually are lol) but arnt Wakefield and cas using theirs on the ground ? Heard nothing about our £2 million.

2 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Yeah there were but correct me if iam wrong ( usually are lol) but arnt Wakefield and cas using theirs on the ground ? Heard nothing about our £2 million.

Yeah but Wakefield had to do the main stand with community facilities etc included in that as part of the application for the funding. Cas a few years later I'm not so sure.

I can't remember anything being said about Fev.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

I thought we'd bought the building that belonged to Millenium Care. So that can be demolished and create a new road into the ground, that along with building some new housing.  

39 minutes ago, wasginger said:

I thought we'd bought the building that belonged to Millenium Care. So that can be demolished and create a new road into the ground, that along with building some new housing.  

Yeah forgot about that £600 k apparently, will the money from the sale of the houses benefit the club ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fevrover said:

I'd be interested to know what Fev have spent on. 

Hi Fevrorver , iirc Fev were first to take it up when they built new stand (around time of Scarborough stand) , but I''m not 100% sure . Will have been a few years ago now , but Fev had it before Wakey and Cas AFAIK

Edited by Taffy Tiger

36 minutes ago, Taffy Tiger said:

Hi Fevrorver , iirc Fev were first to take it up when they built new stand (around time of Scarborough stand) , but I''m not 100% sure . Will have been a few years ago now , but Fev had it before Wakey and Cas AFAIK

The £2m RL resilience funding wasn't offered until 2021, well after the stand was finished and open.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/wakefield-council-give-6m-citys-22334358

• Like 1

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb