Sport and Rugby League in Sheffield

Agbrigg

I saw the calendar news this week and it reported a gate of over 10,000 for a friendly pre season game of the Sheffield Steelers Ice Hockey team. I am not sure but I think they have not been around in the City as long as the Eagles. I am also sure Eagles have never had a gate anywhere near that. It's hard to understand how the Steelers are so popular and yet the Eagles struggle to get much over a 1000 gate at best. Rugby League has low media profile I know, but still far more than Ice Hockey (stand to be corrected if otherwise) . It really makes you wonder why our sport is stagnant in the traditional places and never seems to thrive when moved outside the heartlands. Yet a fringe sport like Ice Hockey is thriving and growing.

What are we doing wrong and they are doing right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Steelers also have a history of success in British ice hockey's equivalent of Super League.

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

34 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

I saw the calendar news this week and it reported a gate of over 10,000 for a friendly pre season game of the Sheffield Steelers Ice Hockey team. I am not sure but I think they have not been around in the City as long as the Eagles. I am also sure Eagles have never had a gate anywhere near that. 

You're wrong there. Record attendance is 10603.

• Like 2

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Agbrigg said:

I stand corrected then, but that must have been some time ago. Still over 10,000 for the Steelers is impressive for a friendly

Twice I've corrected folk tonight. You and Fevrover. What's the world coming to?

🙄

If only there was somewhere on tinterweb where you could check these things ....

• Haha 1

The wife bought tickets as an anniversary present to that Steelers game. It was my first experience of live ice hockey and I must say I was blown away. The arena was packed and the place was buzzing. The whole thing from start to finish was so slick and professional. The pre match build up was fantastic, the entertainment  between periods was great and then the game itself was brilliant. Fast, non stop action, very very physical and exciting to watch. As the OP suggest I came away from the game downloading the fixtures to see when we could go again. Unfortunately RL (at championship level at least, where I watch my rugby) just doesn't come close and looks very amateur in comparison which really is sad as it can be such a great sport to play and watch. We have booked to go again Saturday and are taking my 5 year old. We both think she will love it as the place was full of family's and like I say it was almost a party atmosphere. RL has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to the match day experience. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Griff said:

Twice I've corrected folk tonight. You and Fevrover. What's the world coming to?

🙄

If only there was somewhere on tinterweb where you could check these things ....

We know where to come to now thank you 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When SL was first being mooted it was said the games would be on Sunday's and would have live entertainment, bouncy castles etc and would be great for families.  There are very few if any Sunday games and i should imagine that's the best day for families not Thursday and Friday nights. I understand Sky get the right to choose their games but surely it would be better if just one game is played say on the Friday not 75/80% of games. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Fevrover said:

When SL was first being mooted it was said the games would be on Sunday's and would have live entertainment, bouncy castles etc and would be great for families. 

Serious Q: how many teams across professional and semi-professional rugby league do a full-on families/fan village/entertainment match day experience to the same decent quality week in week out?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

Serious Q: how many teams across professional and semi-professional rugby league do a full-on families/fan village/entertainment match day experience to the same decent quality week in week out?

Fev,Batley and Barrow for a start not many i know but 90% of their games are Sunday. I can't speak for any SL clubs  or any other Championship clubs but there probably is more.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Hull have done it in the past but certainly not often and consistently. It helps that the ground is next to a park because we occasionally put on matchdays branded as something like, "family fun day", and do have loads of activities for kids and stalls and general entertainment in the park before the game. Like I say, not often, maybe once a season. 

7 hours ago, Jimmyvtec said:

The wife bought tickets as an anniversary present to that Steelers game. It was my first experience of live ice hockey and I must say I was blown away. The arena was packed and the place was buzzing. The whole thing from start to finish was so slick and professional. The pre match build up was fantastic, the entertainment  between periods was great and then the game itself was brilliant. Fast, non stop action, very very physical and exciting to watch. As the OP suggest I came away from the game downloading the fixtures to see when we could go again. Unfortunately RL (at championship level at least, where I watch my rugby) just doesn't come close and looks very amateur in comparison which really is sad as it can be such a great sport to play and watch. We have booked to go again Saturday and are taking my 5 year old. We both think she will love it as the place was full of family's and like I say it was almost a party atmosphere. RL has a lot of catching up to do when it comes to the match day experience. 

Rugby League on ice! It's the future.

• Haha 3

RL really needs to sort out it’s match day experience.

What can we put on before the match or at half time? I know - how about more RL but with kids? Yawn.

Or maybe we get some old men to line the pitch as the players run out and call it “heritage” day - a real one for the kids that. Yawn.

Maybe we call somewhere a family stand but don’t police it and allow kids to be exposed to relentless swearing and drunkenness so either they don’t want to return or parents don’t want to return with them.

The players continue to be let down by the lack of imagination of the clubs and the main broadcaster who serve up the same stale gruel every week until the players save the day.

It’s not good enough.

Edited by FearTheVee
  • Like 9

23 minutes ago, FearTheVee said:

RL really needs to sort out it’s match day experience..

Look at the lead set by the RFL. What was the entertainment outside the RL at Wembley? Alex Simmons "DJing" - we may as well not bother.

Nothing announced for the Grand Final either. Even union see the need for it at their Final, we used to but have given up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Daft old hooker said:

I started watching Ice Hockey earlier this year because my daughter wanted to go and have been going ever since. I go to watch Leeds Knights who are in the league below elite but it’s such good entertainment and as a family sport so much better. If I’m honest it’s in danger of overtaking RL as my number one sport.

Each to their own. I have attended Ice Hockey games at quite a low level and Elite level. (My son used to be into it and made noises about wanting to play but never did).

I won't go as far as to say it was boring or rubbish, more that it was maybe 'too fast'? I couldn't really tell what was going on or actually see what happened and as such, couldn't really get into it. 

RL though, at all levels needs to pull it's socks up because the match day experience is just non existent. With all due respect to the girl, you just know they'll be using Lizzie Jones for upcoming big games or maybe kids unfurling flags. Which is probably exciting for the kids concerned but ultimately underwhelming. 

And at one point in the late 90's or early 00's RL was pretty much the front runner in the UK at this sort of thing. Fingers pulled out now please!

• Like 2

Remember the parades at Osdal? Carol Decker, Stax of Soul? 

Saw tribute acts at Cas, Fax. Unforgettable duo of Cher and Neil Diamond!

Steps at the GF, James as well.

So, it can be done, Derek showing the way, just needs a bit of will from clubs.

Speculate to accumulate.

14 hours ago, Agbrigg said:

I saw the calendar news this week and it reported a gate of over 10,000 for a friendly pre season game of the Sheffield Steelers Ice Hockey team. I am not sure but I think they have not been around in the City as long as the Eagles. I am also sure Eagles have never had a gate anywhere near that. It's hard to understand how the Steelers are so popular and yet the Eagles struggle to get much over a 1000 gate at best.

Top class ice hockey established years back against second class Rugby League in which League collapsed in Sheffield years ago (Hetherington exit) and Ice Hockey grew and grew.

Surprised that you don't seem to grasp this, that the Current Eagles are a shadow of what they once were?????