Rumours re signings at London Broncos 2024

As usual London Broncos appear to be behind the game in terms of signings for 2024. The past responses from coach are that are holding out for particular players but when the existing players don’t appear to have a clue about their futures it makes you wonder? Rumours that there are least 5 of the regular starters in the backs will be leaving without having been offered contracts! The fans are talking and a common thread is that some other top 17 squad players have been offered lower or the same contracts they are currently on despite having reached the highest position for the past 3 years. What are broncos doing?
At this rate they are going to go into pre season with Stocky, Lovell, B Leyland and Beinek. Do they know something we, as fans, don’t?

3 hours ago, watcherofRL said:

As usual London Broncos appear to be behind the game in terms of signings for 2024. The past responses from coach are that are holding out for particular players but when the existing players don’t appear to have a clue about their futures it makes you wonder? Rumours that there are least 5 of the regular starters in the backs will be leaving without having been offered contracts! The fans are talking and a common thread is that some other top 17 squad players have been offered lower or the same contracts they are currently on despite having reached the highest position for the past 3 years. What are broncos doing?
At this rate they are going to go into pre season with Stocky, Lovell, B Leyland and Beinek. Do they know something we, as fans, don’t?

Can you imagine if they somehow won promotion.  Yes I know its extremely unlikely they will get past Fev and Tolouse (even if they beat Sheffield which is possible).

Looks like Jersey reds union team is going into administration, maybe the cunning plan is to import union players from Jersey.

Edited by crashmon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

Can you imagine if they somehow won promotion.  Yes I know its extremely unlikely they will get past Fev and Tolouse (even if they beat Sheffield which is possible).

Looks like Jersey reds union team is going into administration, maybe the cunning plan is to import union players from Jersey.

Maybe, heard another rumour that they have signed a couple of half backs from Oz so guess that means no Norman Leyland or Raiwilui are needed- ironic really as made a big deal of home grown yet always seen to disregard their own u til no options!  It’s a concern as stranger things have happened than getting promoted but not sharing with fans or seemingly players what the plan is makes it hard to keep supporting them

1 minute ago, nadera78 said:

Perhaps, and this is based on nothing more than 30 years experience, there is no plan? 

We must be due to start randomly and needlessly renting another ground soon.

• Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

We must be due to start randomly and needlessly renting another ground soon.

They must have played at, and upset, every club in London by now. Does that bring about a Netflix reboot with a return to Craven Cottage? 

• Haha 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

1 minute ago, nadera78 said:

They must have played at, and upset, every club in London by now. Does that bring about a Netflix reboot with a return to Craven Cottage? 

I think we get to yell HOUSE when we play a Challenge Cup tie at Tooting & Mitchum FC.

• Haha 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think we get to yell HOUSE when we play a Challenge Cup tie at Tooting & Mitchum FC.

That made me laugh ....  at least Wimbledon has some name recognition, due to the tennis and the wombles. Ebbsfleet just feels like obscurity for the sake of it!

PS I was an attendee in a 15,000 strong crowd at Craven Cottage in 1981 when Fulham knocked either Leeds or Trin (can't remember which) out of the Challenge Cup 😃

• Like 5

If I remember correctly Reg Bowden was coach and our (at the time) record tries in a season holder, Johnny Crossley played for Fulham, what a player he was for both York and Fulham. I remember being at Clarence Street singing “ There’s only one Johnny Crossley” each time he scored for York, ahhh the memories!

1 hour ago, RBKnight said:

That made me laugh ....  at least Wimbledon has some name recognition, due to the tennis and the wombles. Ebbsfleet just feels like obscurity for the sake of it!

PS I was an attendee in a 15,000 strong crowd at Craven Cottage in 1981 when Fulham knocked either Leeds or Trin (can't remember which) out of the Challenge Cup 😃

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Promotion for the Broncos - if that remote possibility is what is holding contract offers back - would be a disaster. But can't see it happening.

Hughes seems either unaware of decisions or maybe he is aware but the money isn’t there anymore? Why else would you not offer to keep your core group of players together. I get that they made 3/4 big spend signings this year with Whare Norman Albert Raiwilui and Waine and maybe this is the model that Mike wants to follow but is it cost effective when look at % of playing bersus injuries when go with older players. At this point I’d just be happy to hear some/any signings

Edited by watcherofRL

32 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It seems sensible to hold off when you don’t know what division you’ll be in next season. If they re-signed all their players and went up, they’d be accused of lacking ambition when they didn’t sign anyone new. 

Exactly, everyone loves having a dig at the Broncos no matter what.  They're doing some good things and the team and coach deserve lots of praise, and by association so does David Hughes.

• Like 3

On 29/09/2023 at 16:58, Expatknight said:

If I remember correctly Reg Bowden was coach and our (at the time) record tries in a season holder, Johnny Crossley played for Fulham, what a player he was for both York and Fulham. I remember being at Clarence Street singing “ There’s only one Johnny Crossley” each time he scored for York, ahhh the memories!

The 1981 match was v Wakefield Trinity i think you will find that they actually won also the crowd announced as 15000 (To cream of some cash) was in fact a record of nearly 23000

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

Exactly, everyone loves having a dig at the Broncos no matter what.  They're doing some good things and the team and coach deserve lots of praise, and by association so does David Hughes.

Could you provide a list of these 'good things' they're doing?

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959