Sat 7th Oct: SL S/F: Wigan Warriors v Hull KR KO 12:45 (Sky/Channel 4)

Who will win?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Hull KR

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/10/23 at 12:15

Abbas "The Bargain" Miski gets his usual try out wide.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rovers have stopped defending now, this has Wembley 2015 written all over it. But that was a side of average players, this isn’t. Very disappointing, but that’s rugby league. If you only have one set in possession in the first 20 mins, games can run away. 

Ah well… onward to 2024!!

• Like 4

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

brian-bedford-as-lady-bracknell1-677x102

"To kick one restart out on the full, Mr Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune; to do it twice looks like carelessness."

• Haha 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Someone will have to clarify the knock-on law.

Does a fumble have to be regathered or can it be touched with any part of the body before hitting the ground or opposition?

I suppose it is a bit like a knock-on being kicked. It usually is called a knock-on, isn't it?

20 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

You still reckon the ruck area is faster here in SL than in the NRL, I honestly do not recall the NRL teams putting 3/4 players in the tackle with the sole purpose of slowing the game down to such a degree.

14 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The ruck here is way slower than the NRL, basically the olayers get out of the ruck when the tackle is called held, in SL theres limbs everywhere they don’t clear the ruck it’s a mess

I agree that the ruck is messier here with players leaving limbs in.

But after the ruck clears, the roll ball allowed in Super League (as opposed to the attempt to play the ball properly in the NRL) is faster here.

My contention is that these two balance each other out.  Clearly it is not always consistent game by game and team by team but on average, from contact to the ball back in play, I don't think there is a lot of difference between the NRL and Super League. 

Unfortunately, I can't see any data on it.  Maybe ours just look faster because they are sloppier, I accept that.

• Confused 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

from The RFL website.....           KNOCK ON & FORWARD PASS
Deliberate 1. A player shall be penalised if they deliberately knock on or pass forward.

Accidental 2. If, after knocking-on accidentally, the player knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it touches the ground, a goal post, cross bar or an opponent, then play shall be allowed to proceed. Otherwise play shall stop and a scrum shall be formed except after the fifth play-the-ball.

Charge-down 3. To charge-down a kick is permissible and is not a knock-on.

Heading the ball 4. It is illegal to head the ball in a forward direction.

NOTES
Direction of Pass 1. The direction of a pass is relative to the player making it and not to the actual path relative to the ground. A player running towards his opponents’ goal line may throw the ball towards a colleague who is behind him but because of the thrower’s own momentum the ball travels forward relative to the ground. This is not a forward pass as the thrower has not passed the ball forward in relation to themselves. This is particularly noticeable when a running player makes a high, lobbed pass.

Scrum for Forward Pass A forward pass in a passing movement is invariably caused by misjudgment and is rarely a deliberate offence. Play is restarted with a scrum after an accidental infringement.

Penalty for some forward passes If the Referee is of the opinion that a player in giving a forward pass must have been well aware that the catcher was in front of him then the referee is justified in ruling that the ball has been deliberately thrown forward.

Ball is blown or bounces forward If the ball is passed correctly but bounces forward or is blown forward by the wind, there is no infringement and play should continue.

Knock-on over Goal line After a player, from the field of play, knocks on into his opponent’s in-goal area and he or a colleague touches down, play is restarted with a scrum where the knock-on occurred, except after a play-the-ball subject to Section 12, Law 10.

Edited by doc
Sorry, knocked on
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The on-field officials aren't watching the TV feed. There's a touch judge very close to Marshall as the ball is kicked.

I'm talking about the words that the video ref uses to clear onside/offside.

They start by saying that they want to check onside from the kick. When some of the field is obstructed, the norm appears to be to clear players out of the shot.

6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Can’t you ‘bat’ it back though?

Yeah, i expect if the next thing you do is use your hands again to knock it back that's OK. But surely as soon as you pull it forward onto your own leg then it hits the deck it's offside?

I might have this completely wrong though 🙂

also its obviously had absolutely 0 impact on this game.

Just now, StandOffHalf said:

I'm talking about the words that the video ref uses to clear onside/offside.

They start by saying that they want to check onside from the kick. When some of the field is obstructed, the norm appears to be to clear players out of the shot.

As I said in a previous post, when the camera pans up, you see Marshall running forward, crossing the line where French was when he kicked.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson