A Thread of Positive Topics

If you can’t be positive on a day when Catalans are hosting Saints to see who plays in the Grand Final then when can you be?

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

36 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If you can’t be positive on a day when Catalans are hosting Saints to see who plays in the Grand Final then when can you be?

I will only be positive when the sport is so big that we have a thriving Taiwanese presence, including 3 fully professional leagues and a strong community game.

Huddersfield Giants supporters association raised and presented the club with a cheque for £16,000 towards junior development this year, this was raised by a small but devoted team of volunteers who give up a lot of their free time on match and non match days to do this.

May only be a little drop to some folk but to us it's a massive achievement to raise thay amount.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

In my experience, no other sport comes close to RL in terms of its community. I've never known a sport where a group of fans are so close and look out for each other so much because of our mutual interest. In some other sports, fans would start fighting when they find out they support different teams but with RL fans, as soon as we find out our mutual interest, no matter what team we support, we are the best of friends. I haven't met anyone from this forum in person but I have every faith that if I was to do so, we would have such a great time just hanging out together. You're all my friends! Apart from maybe Harry... Joking Harry! Love you mate! 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Huddersfield Giants supporters association raised and presented the club with a cheque for £16,000 towards junior development this year, this was raised by a small but devoted team of volunteers who give up a lot of their free time on match and non match days to do this.

May only be a little drop to some folk but to us it's a massive achievement to raise thay amount.

I think this is a huge negative of the sport. Mega kudos to the group, but volunteers shouldn't be raising money for professional teams. Ever. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

In my experience, no other sport comes close to RL in terms of its community. I've never known a sport where a group of fans are so close and look out for each other so much because of our mutual interest. In some other sports, fans would start fighting when they find out they support different teams but with RL fans, as soon as we find out our mutual interest, no matter what team we support, we are the best of friends. I haven't met anyone from this forum in person but I have every faith that if I was to do so, we would have such a great time just hanging out together. You're all my friends! Apart from maybe Harry... Joking Harry! Love you mate! 😉

It's always this. 

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

Yesterday I sat drinking a pint of Abbot's Ale (£4.80 :(...) in a Green King Pub called The Bamburgh and it was sad with the price of a pint when most people were in the bar drinking ###### Carling or being conned drinking that famous Spanish Hipstair Mardi.

What was also sad the pub is a split between NUFC/SUFC with a bit of Rugby Union/Cricket yet I'm sure I was seating in the same spot of when Rugby League started in South Shields in 1903.

South Shields Rugby League are thriving to date with crowds of 12,000...BUT in another Alternate Universe.

Maybe for me next time.

Edited by EggFace

First two paragraphs from a piece on the RFL website -

"There'll be a triumphant finale for the 2023 Girls Rugby League season this Saturday when the stars of the future take to the field at Bradford's Odsal Stadium on the eve of Sunday's Betfred Women's Super League Grand Final.

2023 has been a breakthrough year for the girls game. England Women's run to the semi-finals of last year's Rugby League World Cup inspired record numbers of young players to get involved, with more than 130 teams from 57 clubs taking part this year".

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

I've heard Armani doing some commentary. Bodes well, sounds very knowledgeable.

Could have her work cut out next year, judging from this interview. The emphasis on youth suggests the club have no intention of recruiting like York, Leeds, Saints.