RLWC 2026 Qualification Confirmed

UTK

To be Honest, International rugby league should just be scraped completely and rebuilt from the ground up. They’ve dug themselves to big a whole with these incredibly low standards needed by nations (which usually aren’t even met) and have turned a blind eye to the abuse of heritage players from almost every nation. 

There are 7 Nations that play the sport to a high standard (Good Domestic Scene, Youth Pathways/ Ability to produce professional players, Interest in the sport/large player base )

Australia

New Zealand

England

France

Papua New Guinea

Wales

Fiji

These 7 Nations (Bar Fiji who have taken big strides in recent times) have been the exact same for the last 60-70 years, nothing has changed. A few Nations choosing heritage players does not mean growth.

This being said there are a few nations which have potential and are starting to grow. Tonga, Jamaica, Greece, Netherlands, Samoa Etc. But before these nations, we need to focus on getting France and Wales back to their former glory, We know they have the potential to become great national teams and we need to unlock this. Papua New Guinea has one of the largest player bases in the world and we need to fully unlock the potential, and Fiji are very talented with a promising domestic scene.

But I am very certain that none of this will ever happen unless the people in charge are sacked and a good new board comes in. I am ashamed that such a great sport’s international game can be destroyed by a few people in charge. 

Edited by NRLandSL

14 hours ago, Damien said:

So despite having the vast majority of teams already the Asia-Pacific region has the chance for another team to qualify. So much for a 'World' Cup.

I almost hope Cook Islands qualify and the European team doesn't just to point out how absolutely absurd this whole thing is.

• Like 3

new rise.jpg

16 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I almost hope Cook Islands qualify and the European team doesn't just to point out how absolutely absurd this whole thing is.

Yeah, maybe it would be a wake-up call to the people in charge when the country with the 3 strongest domestic scene in the world isn't at the "world cup"(Australian Heritage Cup).

6 hours ago, eal said:

Does Scotland have 250 registered players?

Depends how ‘registered’ is defined.

No if it’s domestic players playing in domestic competitions.

Yes if it includes players registered for their senior, student, U19 and U16 national teams (there’s 150 there alone) 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I hope anybody who plays in the qualifiers can then only play for that country in the World Cup. Ie the Cook Islands don’t load their team with players who then play for other SH teams in the World Cup itself. 

This is covered under rule (x) of the IRL's eligibility rules: 

"Pursuant to Rule (viii), a Player is entitled to move between a Tier One and a Tier Two or Tier Three Nation freely save that a Player may not change their National Team during any IRL Global Event (including any qualification matches played as part of that IRL Global Event, including Continental Qualification Matches) in which that Player is participating and may only represent one Nation during each IRL Global Event"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

Depends how ‘registered’ is defined.

No if it’s domestic players playing in domestic competitions.

Yes if it includes players registered for their senior, student, U19 and U16 national teams (there’s 150 there alone) 

And loads of those would be English heritage players. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, welshmagpie said:

I’ve just had a look at the criteria for ‘full  members’ with the IRL. 

In short:

- Minimum of 3 year business plan.

- Minimum of 3 years of accounts.

- Two pitches adaptable for rugby league with proof they’re in use.

- Minimum of 250 registered players (if population over 500,000 - 150 players otherwise)

- Minimum of 4 clubs

- Each club must have 1 senior and 1 junior side (U15-U19)

- Population > 500k: 6-team comp min. 1 round (5 games per team). Population < 500k: 4-team comp min. 2 rounds (6 games per team).

- U15-U19 comp:
Population > 500k: 4-team comp minimum 2 round (6 games per team). Population < 500k: 4-team comp minimum 1 round (3 games per team)

- Minimum of 6 L1 coaches and 8 L1 match officials 

That's really interesting and sensible criteria. It's just a pity it isn't applied in any way, shape or form.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

That really would be something - France not qualifying for the world cup they were supposed to host.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

That really would be something - France not qualifying for the world cup they were supposed to host.

I mean they almost definitely will beat Wales but Wales do seem to turn up on the international stage for some reason. There seems to be a real point of pride playing for Wales that brings them together.

• Confused 1

I saw the Canadian RL tweeting about this yesterday, pleased to at least have some clarity on the issue. Must say I'd be surprised if they can find a way to meet the criteria in the next 6 months, seeing as their season is now over. Same goes for everyone else, I suppose.

Scotland have no business whatsoever being a Full Member and shouldn't be allowed to take part, but the IRL has shown no desire to deal with that issue for a long time now. And contrast that with Greece almost certainly being unable to take part - despite there being vastly more RL being played in that country. Such a great way to destroy 10 years of hard work that led to them playing in 2021. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Doubt this will even be a round robin. It shouldn’t be a knockout as it isn’t supposed to be “seeded” but they most likely just play:

Cook Islands V South Africa - Sydney

&

France/Ireland/Wales V Jamaica - Leigh or Warrington.

Winners progress.

Cook Islands had their chance to beat Tonga or PNG last year to qualify, it should have been a round robin between the 2 Euros, 1 MEA & 1 Americas.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

Doubt this will even be a round robin. It shouldn’t be a knockout as it isn’t supposed to be “seeded” but they most likely just play:

Cook Islands V South Africa - Sydney

&

France/Ireland/Wales V Jamaica - Leigh or Warrington.

Winners progress.

Cook Islands had their chance to beat Tonga or PNG last year to qualify, it should have been a round robin between the 2 Euros, 1 MEA & 1 Americas.

I think it will be a round Robin to be honest, if not the semi finals are the final qualifiers, rendering the final meaningless. 

18 minutes ago, sam4731 said:

I think it will be a round Robin to be honest, if not the semi finals are the final qualifiers, rendering the final meaningless. 

That’s what I meant it wouldn’t surprise me if there was no final just 2 knockout games one in Australia and one in England. Doubt they’ll want to have Cook Islands, South Africa, Jamaica & France/Ireland/Wales racking up hotel & travel bills for 3-4 weeks.

Call me pessimistic but I’ve given up much hope of ever getting more than the bare minimum International RL.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, jim_57 said:

That’s what I meant it wouldn’t surprise me if there was no final just 2 knockout games one in Australia and one in England. Doubt they’ll want to have Cook Islands, South Africa, Jamaica & France/Ireland/Wales racking up hotel & travel bills for 3-4 weeks.

Call me pessimistic but I’ve given up much hope of ever getting more than the bare minimum International RL.

Oh don't get me wrong, the matches will all take place in one country, I'd actually assume England, given the countries that will be involved.

8 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Does anyone actually know if Russia's membership has officially suspended or not? I know they were expelled from competition a couple of years ago but has anything happened since?

They are suspended, but even before the war there was very little RL being played, if any at all. They should not still be classed as a full member.

I wouldn't be so certain of a French qualification, especially as Italy, Ireland and Scotland will be full of heritage players.

I think there needs to be a minimum of 8 homegrown players in the 24 man squads to make it fair. Otherwise it just becomes a breeze for the Cook Islands.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

I wouldn't be so certain of a French qualification, especially as Italy, Ireland and Scotland will be full of heritage players.

I think there needs to be a minimum of 8 homegrown players in the 24 man squads to make it fair. Otherwise it just becomes a breeze for the Cook Islands.

100% I reckon that every time an international team takes the field they should have at least 7-8 players born in the country and at least 4 or 5 born and raised through the country's domestic rugby league system. It sounds hard because of how overused heritage players are but it should be the very minimum when they are playing for a country.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 3

In a rare spot of good news for international RL, all the Pacific Cup and Bowl games, including the women's matches, appear to be on free to air on Channel Nine (on their main channel, no less!) in Sydney this coming weekend … will be interesting to see how they rate. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Jim from Oz said:

In a rare spot of good news for international RL, all the Pacific Cup and Bowl games, including the women's matches, appear to be on free to air on Channel Nine (on their main channel, no less!) in Sydney this coming weekend … will be interesting to see how they rate. 

Looks like they’re on Sky here as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

If anyone can blow qualification, it's France!