All Super League Matches Live - Confirmed

LeeF

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I would add, if the final announcement is taht it's the same as ever plus a load of PPV, that is an extremely disingenuous original announcement of "all games on Sky". 

A disingenuous announcement on TV rights? Well I'll be damned.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

So all games wouldn't be on Sky platforms? 

Where possible they will be but obviously Sky have other commitments too so some games will be shown on OurLeague where they clash.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

This sounds..... Muddled, doesn't it? 

Yep. The bottom line is that people aren’t going to be able to watch 6 games a week unless they are prepared to fork out a fair bit. I’m only guessing but I’d assume it’ll be around £10 to watch a streamed game based on Sky’s other PPV pricing.

• Like 1

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

3 hours ago, Damien said:

A disingenuous announcement on TV rights? Well I'll be damned.

I look forward to an unnamed rugby league editor steadfastly using a badly worded and actually inaccurate article in an unnamed rugby league publication to explain the TV rights for seasons to come.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Derwent said:

Where possible they will be but obviously Sky have other commitments too so some games will be shown on OurLeague where they clash.

Sky can show matches on red button/ their App. They have capacity to show all six matches at once, like they do for EFL. US Open had 16 live courts at once 

If its PPV by Sky- that's quite a change- I'm not why you'd have two Apps showing same content though (Sky and new SL app) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sam4731 said:

I cannot see Sky doing PPV through their own platforms. They'd only get roughly as many viewers as people actually in the ground.

This is what's a bit weird, they have the coverage, it ain't gonna make much for them on PPV, it feels like they'd be better off having more content for their channels. On Sky Sports at the moment it ain't unusual for them to just be showing SSN on their Main Event channel. 

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

This is what's a bit weird, they have the coverage, it ain't gonna make much for them on PPV, it feels like they'd be better off having more content for their channels. On Sky Sports at the moment it ain't unusual for them to just be showing SSN on their Main Event channel. 

The scenario I could envisage

2 Normal Picks on Sky

Some FTA coverage in UK & France, simulcast on sky platforms

Rest of games on sky somewhere - but also available as PPV on our league

From skys point of view they can still get subscribers - from clubs point of view they can get some revenue from people who aren’t interested in Sky but would purchase one off games?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The scenario I could envisage

2 Normal Picks on Sky

Some FTA coverage in UK & France, simulcast on sky platforms

Rest of games on sky somewhere - but also available as PPV on our league

From skys point of view they can still get subscribers - from clubs point of view they can get some revenue from people who aren’t interested in Sky but would purchase one off games?

Unless they are on Sky as PPV, it makes games 3 to 6 on OurLeague worthless really as a sky sub soon becomes better value than PPV. 

Really, the only clean model is like RU did, 2 or 3 games on tv and the rest just purely PPV accessible with a season, monthly or weekly pass. 

17 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Unless they are on Sky as PPV, it makes games 3 to 6 on OurLeague worthless really as a sky sub soon becomes better value than PPV. 

Really, the only clean model is like RU did, 2 or 3 games on tv and the rest just purely PPV accessible with a season, monthly or weekly pass. 

For following an individual team - which I expect would be attractive to non Sky subscribers, PpV per game would be considerably cheaper than subscribing to Sky

From skys point of view they’d want to get those who are interested in all games. From clubs point of view they’d want to sweep up the rest?

This would just be the domestic market - overseas could be packaged differently I guess

Edited by Spidey

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I suppose that given they've already paid for the rights, and committed to film the games, they have to maximize their returns. Showing games 3-6 on the broadcast channels isn't going to get them many/any more subscribers whereas putting them on Sky PPV means at least enough extra revenue to cover the extra production costs. Even 5k viewers would do it. 

What we get out of that is less clear, I'd hope some sort of profit share, but that probably would have been announced if so. 

At bare minimum, we'll have all game at broadcast quality which is needed for proper YouTube and other socials offerings, and video ref. Plus each club's ultra fans will be able to watch all their games, although that might cannibalise...(gulp, I'm going to say it)...aways fans, somewhat.

10 minutes ago, Spidey said:

For following an individual team - which I expect would be attractive to non Sky subscribers, PpV per game would be considerably cheaper than subscribing to Sky

From skys point of view they’d want to get those who are interested in all games. From clubs point of view they’d want to sweep up the rest?

This would just be the domestic market - overseas could be packaged differently I guess

There will of course be niche edge cases, maybe only following your teams away games as a season ticket holder, but I'd also argue that these committed RL types who would go so far as to dig out PPV would also get Sky for it, even if that's through nowtv

• Like 2

Perhaps a SL only Sky channel? That actually would be worst case scenario. All games shown live , staggered start times,  heaven ? But a PPV channel that you can have with or without the rest of Sky. Result? Only RL diehards get it, and the game disappears from general view.

2 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I suppose that given they've already paid for the rights, and committed to film the games, they have to maximize their returns. Showing games 3-6 on the broadcast channels isn't going to get them many/any more subscribers whereas putting them on Sky PPV means at least enough extra revenue to cover the extra production costs. Even 5k viewers would do it. 

What we get out of that is less clear, I'd hope some sort of profit share, but that probably would have been announced if so. 

At bare minimum, we'll have all game at broadcast quality which is needed for proper YouTube and other socials offerings, and video ref. Plus each club's ultra fans will be able to watch all their games, although that might cannibalise...(gulp, I'm going to say it)...aways fans, somewhat.

I understand the model, I just don't think it's an attractive model tbh. 

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Perhaps a SL only Sky channel? That actually would be worst case scenario. All games shown live , staggered start times,  heaven ? But a PPV channel that you can have with or without the rest of Sky. Result? Only RL diehards get it, and the game disappears from general view.

It wouldn’t disappear from general view as Sky would still be showing 2 games per week as they do now. The PPV would be extra games than they show now so any viewers of those PPV games would be in addition to what we currently have

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

It wouldn’t disappear from general view as Sky would still be showing 2 games per week as they do now. The PPV would be extra games than they show now so any viewers of those PPV games would be in addition to what we currently have

I meant if ALL SL games were on the SL PPV Channel.

2 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

At least one SL game a week on the main channels serves a purpose for Sky, it delivers adequate numbers for Action/Arena on Thursday or Friday night without which their overall offering would look a bit thin. I reckon they need at least two live events at any one time. Football+1

The second game is a bit less crucial for them, it's sometimes shunted around into an irregular weekend slot or onto Mix, as they have darts in the winter and plenty of cricket in the summer.

So if they were going to go hard on PPV, I'd hope the 'Game of the Week' would still be on a main channel.

I think all the games will be played Thur to Mon so some tweaking will need to be done in regards to fixtures and recovery. 

Would help if Sky had a commentary team decent enough for one game, never mind 2,3,4 at the same time !

6 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

For them or us?

Obviously depends how it's done, but either of us. And I mean primary financial benefits rather than some of the secondary ebenfits which I do think are sound. 

Ultimately if this was the way of getting broadcast quality coverage to facilitate better highlights and video refs, fine, but that isn't bringing us money or increased visibility which are crucial for us. 

It is also pittance in the scheme of things for Sky. 

14 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I look forward to an unnamed rugby league editor steadfastly using a badly worded and actually inaccurate article in an unnamed rugby league publication to explain the TV rights for seasons to come.

Followed by several websites doing 'the real reason...', 'Sky have their say', and 'XXX revealed'. Instead of actually doing proper journalism, researching stories or holding people to account.

• Like 1