All Super League Matches Live - Confirmed

LeeF

6 minutes ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

I think its common knowledge that Sky bid increased from £17m. 

It looks like a minimum £21m cash and potential add ons (value of filming matches etc).

Where do you get that from? Isn’t this 3 year tv deal worst in SKY’s involvement? also putting games behind another paywall could have the opposite effect your suggesting too as people just haven’t the money now a days especially in the north where our game mainly is. 

Edited by Rovers13

A couple of club chairmen on record saying original funding was bad, but now improved. Adam Pearson was one 

All reports now suggest the deal is worth £21m cash. Often in deals, various non cash benefits are monetarised. 

It might be that cost of filming the extra 4 matches is valued at £1.5m or so. Likewise, sky not claiming advertising space 

So I'm suspicious of figures- really need a hard cash figure 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

So games that wouldn't have been broadcast to anyone, being available for the sport to monetise without the production costs? That sounds like a good thing, but obviously I'm missing something.

Well that hasn't been confirmed yet. It does appear to be quite a muddled message that all games will be shown on Sky platforms  but then some will also be on PPV on OurLeague.

42 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

So games that wouldn't have been broadcast to anyone, being available for the sport to monetise without the production costs? That sounds like a good thing, but obviously I'm missing something.

Yeah I agree. The games behind the paywall are extra to what SKY already show so any viewers of these are extra viewers to what they’ve had in the past

5 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Yeah I agree. The games behind the paywall are extra to what SKY already show so any viewers of these are extra viewers to what they’ve had in the past

Not guaranteed but get your point, if someone is paying say £65 for sky a month unless it’s their team would they stump up another tenner etc? I’m not saying it won’t happen I’m just saying the numbers probably won’t be that big to make huge sums of money. I think the intake will be minimal tbh but it is more than we get now so no arguments from me. Unless of course the money goes to sky and not the game. 

Edited by Rovers13

1 hour ago, RigbyLuger said:

This surely gives the clubs a new option for selling sponsorship, they now have a guarantee to offer companies that they will be broadcast in every game.

1 hour ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

So I'm 99% sky will have first two picks exclusive. 

However- could Our league or replacement sell rights to all matches, including Sky games? 

Sky might have calculated that few people subscribe just for RL...

It should be remembered that ALL games will be shown live on Sky Platforms. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

Won't be ouRLeague, will be the IMG streaming platform.

That makes more sense.

I would like to think that SL will have the right to on-sell one, maybe two broadcast quality games a week, which are not in competition with Sky televised matches, to a FTA network for further financial and coverage benefit.

3 hours ago, dkw said:

This surely gives the clubs a new option for selling sponsorship, they now have a guarantee to offer companies that they will be broadcast in every game.

Well as long as that new sponsership offsets the reduced funding and MY (emphasised what I think) expected reduced gates, it will be alright then?

1 hour ago, Sports Prophet said:

That makes more sense.

I would like to think that SL will have the right to on-sell one, maybe two broadcast quality games a week, which are not in competition with Sky televised matches, to a FTA network for further financial and coverage benefit.

Remember, all games will be shown on Sky platforms. 

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Every England cricket game shown on FTA in the past five years has also been shown on Sky.

EDIT - home games only

Edited by gingerjon

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Every England cricket game shown on FTA in the past five years has also been shown on Sky.

EDIT - home games only

Yes, it'll be broadcast on both, as plenty sports do and we do for playoff games on C4, but all the talk about the RFL beibg able to monetise via PPV becomes even more challenging if Sky are also showing them. 

Obviously the devil will be in the detail, but I do wonder whether we will see a JV PPV model where it is sky branded and shared revenues or similar.

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah, but maybe not all are shown on their television channels. Maybe the non-televised versions are available for further on sell. Or even per Aus, where all fixtures are broadcast on fox footy, but still three matches are broadcast on 9 as well where the view can choose either if having access to both.

Just now, Dave T said:

Yes, it'll be broadcast on both, as plenty sports do and we do for playoff games on C4, but all the talk about the RFL beibg able to monetise via PPV becomes even more challenging if Sky are also showing them. 

Obviously the devil will be in the detail, but I do wonder whether we will see a JV PPV model where it is sky branded and shared revenues or similar.

I don’t see a way where PPV becomes workable but then I also think PPV is a staggeringly bad idea.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

I don’t see a way where PPV becomes workable but then I also think PPV is a staggeringly bad idea.

Agreed. The bit I'm struggling to follow is the talk about Sky showing every game and then it being PPV. Other than boxing and special events, Sky have never made PPV work, I'm not sure why it would now. Hopefully it's wrong 

3 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yeah, but maybe not all are shown on their television channels. Maybe the non-televised versions are available for further on sell. Or even per Aus, where all fixtures are broadcast on fox footy, but still three matches are broadcast on 9 as well where the view can choose either if having access to both.

The Aus model would be great (the talk is 15 FTA games) but it does seem to be leaking out that PPV may be the model instead of Sky just showing games (on TV, YouTube, app, wherever). 

• Like 1

This articles states there will be FTA games in 2024:

Comparison between Channel 4 and Sky Sports commentary of Wigan Warriors star Liam Marshall’s Grand Final try – Total Rugby League (totalrl.com)

I'd like to see the GF on FTA, biggest game if the year and it's not going to cost Sky any subscriptions.  

• Like 2

Sky could actually help themselves if only they put some effort into Rugby League, clever adverts, promotional videos, use of the players on TV (sports shows etc) regular short snippets of action promoting games, professional shows dissecting the sport, all sorts of things to make the matches/games more appealing. Any of this basic stuff could drive interest, viewers. Sponsorship etc.

Instead Rugby League is a hidden gem of action with ZERO coverage on Sky channels other than the games being practically hidden.

If they were serious about it they could help Rugby League become a real money spinner.

13 hours ago, binosh said:

Sky could actually help themselves if only they put some effort into Rugby League, clever adverts, promotional videos, use of the players on TV (sports shows etc) regular short snippets of action promoting games, professional shows dissecting the sport, all sorts of things to make the matches/games more appealing. Any of this basic stuff could drive interest, viewers. Sponsorship etc.

Instead Rugby League is a hidden gem of action with ZERO coverage on Sky channels other than the games being practically hidden.

If they were serious about it they could help Rugby League become a real money spinner.

Agree entirely with this comment. If you watch rugby league on Foxtel in Australia, you are inundated with sponsorship which is not in your face but just brings in money. This is not only on the live games but programmes midweek with Matty Johns, NRL 360 and Vossy with The Fan. Just about everything you can imagine is sponsored, timer clock on the screen with Hisense, Friednight Footy, microphone used to do interviews, Harvey Norman replay, Victoria Bitter for moment of the week, HCF sponsor something else  and Maccas are involved somewhere, it goes on. The key thing is it is not like commercial tv, just in the back ground. Why Sky cannot do something like this on a weekly basis, even a dedicated rugby league channel would help. Programs are done on repeat so you will never miss anything. All income will help produce a better spectacle.