Strong rumours NRL #18 team will be PNG

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Article in today`s The Australian:

NRL expansion: Australian government to provide $600 million in funding for PNG bid | The Australian

"It is understood the Federal government is prepared to bankroll a $600m expansion package — $60m injected annually for at least 10 years for sporting and economic development in PNG via the NRL’s overseas push into the Pacific."

$60 million per year !

"A proposed PNG franchise will have the financial and political support of Mr Albanese – and now US president Joe Biden – following the Australian Prime Minister’s trip to the White House."

No wonder they are going with Papua New Guinea.

Insane money.

I'd be happy to take it even if it eventually dries up and the franchise dies one day. 

10 years is a long time and we could see possibly hundreds of NRL quality PNG players developed in that time which would flow on to Super League. 

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

Insane money.

I'd be happy to take it even if it eventually dries up and the franchise dies one day. 

10 years is a long time and we could see possibly hundreds of NRL quality PNG players developed in that time which would flow on to Super League. 

If that's the amount we're at now it's literally expansion without risk, you gain an extra game of content plus millions more cash than any other expansion bid could get anywhere near. 

Absolute worst case if it dies in the long-term we've created a player pool to sustain further expansion indefinitely and the NRL will have the next bids ready to go/replace them at the drop of a hat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim from Oz said:

Looks like a full house for today’s Papua New Guinea versus Fiji game, even more impressive when it is a dead rubber match! Great to see!

Can @John Drakeplease add 'dead rubber' to the swear filter?

Maybe replace it with "rugby league match".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 hours ago, londonrlfan said:

The NRL must really hate Perth. There will be a team in Antarctica before there.

In some ways, it's great news. Another country with a pro team, and one that loves the sport and has genuine development. If there could be a 24 man squad of fully pro PNG players, it would be a huge boost to the international game too.

I don’t know what more Perth could actually do to prove that they are both worthy and ready for an NRL team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Article in today`s The Australian:

NRL expansion: Australian government to provide $600 million in funding for PNG bid | The Australian

"It is understood the Federal government is prepared to bankroll a $600m expansion package — $60m injected annually for at least 10 years for sporting and economic development in PNG via the NRL’s overseas push into the Pacific."

$60 million per year !

"A proposed PNG franchise will have the financial and political support of Mr Albanese – and now US president Joe Biden – following the Australian Prime Minister’s trip to the White House."

No wonder they are going with Papua New Guinea.

That’s a eye watering amount of money and definitely a game changing amount.

it would be interesting to read the breakdown of how the money will be spent and how much will actually go to the grassroots development side.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pulga said:

Insane money.

Not sure about hundreds but I’d take a dozen annually spread over the NRL, super league and the championship and 2nd tier Aussie competitions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UTK said:

If that's the amount we're at now it's literally expansion without risk, you gain an extra game of content plus millions more cash than any other expansion bid could get anywhere near. 

Absolute worst case if it dies in the long-term we've created a player pool to sustain further expansion indefinitely and the NRL will have the next bids ready to go/replace them at the drop of a hat. 

It’s actually tripled in the space of a few days.

1 hour ago, Bamboozle said:

I don’t know what more Perth could actually do to prove that they are both worthy and ready for an NRL team.

Well ,they haven`t actually done anything yet, a few concrete proposals would be a start. But I`d suggest they might have to up the ante now that these PNG numbers have come in.

25 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Well ,they haven`t actually done anything yet, a few concrete proposals would be a start. But I`d suggest they might have to up the ante now that these PNG numbers have come in.

They’ve staged successful and well attended origin and NRL regular season games as well as having the backing of the cashed up WA government.

they also have a strong and ever growing grassroots presence on the ground.

• Like 1

On 29/10/2023 at 17:29, The Rocket said:

I’ve been told #18 for Perth will not happen and the focus for the leading backers has shifted to being granted team #19 spot, apparently exploring options with the Bears again which is even more disappointing.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

I’ve been told #18 for Perth will not happen and the focus for the leading backers has shifted to being granted team #19 spot, apparently exploring options with the Bears again which is even more disappointing.

I was wondering myself whether Perth might now get told that 19 or 20 may be more likely, especially given it seems the NRL are hell-bent on getting PNG in. I also wondered, even hoped they might announce Perth for 19 at the same time as 18 is confirmed. Does seem a little odd announcing 19 the same time and going back to an odd number of teams but I suppose they did it with the 17th, so why not the 19th. And they have made it very clear they want 20.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you had spoken to someone in NRL officialdom who like yourself thought the NRL was pursuing the wrong strategy and would be better off concentrating on Australia rather than pursuing overseas ventures. 

I think what we are seeing from V`landys here with this American venture (which now really looks like it`s tying in with the Pacific stuff) is to outflank our main rival and end the code wars in one fell swoop. Despite even with his projected revenue gain from a successful US venture it will really only level up the existing revenue gap with f-ball but I think they probably feel that if they can get traction in the US it will give Rugby League in this country so much more cred than our rival and cement fumbleball`s image as some sort of antipodean (minus New Zealand) oddity. NRL will really have all the momentum then. It`s a big gamble for big rewards, but that does seem to be V`landys style.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I wouldn't be particularly bothered if PNG was pushed to the 19th team if that makes more sense and still isn't too far down the line (I want to get to 20 asap).

I would though be bitterly disappointed if some sort of fudge happens with the Bears. If the 18th team is someone else then we should really be looking at Perth, NZ2 or another Queensland team. None of these require the Bears.

Thought I’d post this on here as it is probably relevant

All of the PNG Players playing Pro/Semi Rugby league.

NRL-

Jeremiah Simbiken SR

Justin Olam CE

Xavier Coates WG

Zac Laybutt CE

Alex Johnston WG

Dan Russell SR

Treigh Stewart FB

Robert Derby WG

Jacob Alick SR

Ragarive Wavik FB

(Bailey Biondi-Odo HB)