2024 Transfer Tracker

1 hour ago, Fevrover said:

They can't make Haribo give them sponsorship if they don't want to give it ,but it would be an excellent sponsorship if they could.

Yeah it'd get good social media traction I'm sure.  Like the Amy Parks at AAMI Park thing but with a flat cap angle.

Edited by M j M
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, phiggins said:

Doesn't mean they're not in discussions with him

Wigan just say he's leaving for another SL club: https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/11/10/sam-powell-leaves-wigan/ 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Click said:

London have signed Rhys Kennedy from Hull KR, sounds like there might be some other announcements today as well.

They also announced the return of Gideon Boafo from Newcastle, if that hasn't been mentioned yet.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Wigan just say he's leaving for another SL club: https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/11/10/sam-powell-leaves-wigan/ 

Signing confirmed by Warrington, as seen on the new kit thread.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's hard to believe the Powell to Warrington announcement is only happening now, it seemed like a done deal ages ago.

Never been a fan of Powell, he's very average and should never have been more than just a backup hooker. Really glad O'Neill will now get a proper shot at 9.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Harrison Hansen going nowhere - signed on for another year at Toulouse Olympique XIII.

Most of the squad from last year are staying. H, god knows how, is still going but will need to be managed carefully.

First new signing of the season, Paul Ulberg. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Damien said:

It's hard to believe the Powell to Warrington announcement is only happening now, it seemed like a done deal ages ago.

Never been a fan of Powell, he's very average and should never have been more than just a backup hooker. Really glad O'Neill will now get a proper shot at 9.

I think Powell has some good qualities and played quite well coming off the bench at the back end of the season. I've always thought he just found things a bit too comfortable at Wigan. It's not like he hasn't had good seasons for us. He had a couple of good years under Adrian Lam where he became more active out of dummy half and during the covid affected season he was so dangerous close to the line (admittedly pretty much every try he scored that year seemed to be a very dubious grounding decision). The frustrating thing is he just kept reverting to type. He never really kicked on. When he got picked for England Knights and had a really good game there never seemed to be much of a push from him to go further and try to make the England squad despite there being opportunities there.

Being Wigan's only real number 9 for quite a long time didn't do him any favours in the long run as there wasn't much in the way of serious competition. It was convenient to have him in the team and play 80 minutes but I don't think it ever became essential.

15 minutes ago, EagleEyePie said:

I think Powell has some good qualities and played quite well coming off the bench at the back end of the season. I've always thought he just found things a bit too comfortable at Wigan. It's not like he hasn't had good seasons for us. He had a couple of good years under Adrian Lam where he became more active out of dummy half and during the covid affected season he was so dangerous close to the line (admittedly pretty much every try he scored that year seemed to be a very dubious grounding decision). The frustrating thing is he just kept reverting to type. He never really kicked on. When he got picked for England Knights and had a really good game there never seemed to be much of a push from him to go further and try to make the England squad despite there being opportunities there.

Being Wigan's only real number 9 for quite a long time didn't do him any favours in the long run as there wasn't much in the way of serious competition. It was convenient to have him in the team and play 80 minutes but I don't think it ever became essential.

He was never good enough to be a top 9 for us. Every top club had better 9s and it was a real weakness. He's fine as backup but should have never become the main starting hooker, and if he wasn't a homegrown, and presumably cheap, Wigan lad I don't think he would have.

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

He was never good enough to be a top 9 for us. Every top club had better 9s and it was a real weakness. He's fine as backup but should have never become the main starting hooker, and if he wasn't a homegrown, and presumably cheap, Wigan lad I don't think he would have.

Just checked back, apparently he must have impressed a few coaches at Wigan amassing 250 appearances. As we say player's are all about opinions !

29 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

It’ll be interesting to see how London do get on with these signings. I suspect they’ll get thumped. But we’ll see. 

Imagine they will but they’re building a large pack so if they play a simple game they might get some wins at home. A few young players I’m interested to see 

25 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just checked back, apparently he must have impressed a few coaches at Wigan amassing 250 appearances. As we say player's are all about opinions !

Exactly, you have to love the armchair coaches on here. Powell for me is a durable and dependable hooker, who could walk into any team and do exactly what was asked of him. He can be a bit of a grub at times but that’s part of the job at 9.

30 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Exactly, you have to love the armchair coaches on here. Powell for me is a durable and dependable hooker, who could walk into any team and do exactly what was asked of him. He can be a bit of a grub at times but that’s part of the job at 9.

I agree with Damien on this one. Powell is a solid, dependable 9, but he has never been good enough to be Wigans first choice for so many years. 

If he wasn't a Wigan trained player, they would have let him go a long time ago IMO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Coco said:

Never rated Powell. The way he played did not suit how Wigan played. This is a very questionable signing by Warrington. They already got two. Walker and Clark. Makes no sense. 

Clark is off to St Helens. Signed ages ago.

Edited by burnleywelsh
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

And? Mostly as a backup hooker which as I said he is fine as a cheap Wigan lad. As the main hooker then no, he was never good enough, hence why he fell down the pecking order and is leaving. I suspect it was the salary cap as much as anything why Wigan kept him for as long as they did.

Edited by Damien