2024 Transfer Tracker

14 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Ben Evans leaving Barrow

After he broke his leg, I don't think he ever attained what he promised in his youth. He was outstanding in his first loan spell at Odsal. I wish him all the best in finding a new club.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

36 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

After he broke his leg, I don't think he ever attained what he promised in his youth. He was outstanding in his first loan spell at Odsal. I wish him all the best in finding a new club.

Nor with Rhys who looked a cut above at youth level 

3 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Uele is a good signing for Trinity

He wasn’t far off the Cronulla NRL squad and has been outstanding for a couple of years now. Huge bloke too, not just tall but proportionately big with a good engine. Be interesting to see how he goes over here in the Championship but I think him and Renouf Atoni will be a good interchange pairing giving the opposition little respite from some brutal physicality 

Eligible for England too is Caleb. Could be interesting. 

11 hours ago, OMEGA said:

Uele is a good signing for Trinity

He wasn’t far off the Cronulla NRL squad and has been outstanding for a couple of years now. Huge bloke too, not just tall but proportionately big with a good engine. Be interesting to see how he goes over here in the Championship but I think him and Renouf Atoni will be a good interchange pairing giving the opposition little respite from some brutal physicality 

Do you know if he is brothers with Braden Hamlin-Uele. I assume so because they look identical and both play for Cronulla, but they may be half brothers because they have different last names.

Edit: Nevermind, yes they are brothers, Caleb’s full name is also Hamlin-Uele. If he is anything like his brother he will be a quality player.

Edited by NRLandSL
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Cornwall are teasing a signing at 7pm tonight with a signing with clues about the word "Maltese". Just speculating as I'll admit to being able to count the number of Maltese players I know on the thumbs of one hand, but that would be a really interesting signing if they've managed to lure Sammut down there.

Or they've resigned Kaine Dimech

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Reported that despite Wakefield's new money man spending cash for fun, Lachlan Walmsley had to contribute towards his own transfer fee to get the deal from Fax done. Nothing screams tin pot Rugby League more than things like this.

Good bit of business from Halifax there then, to get any transfer fee for a 25 yr old winger going to another Championship side.

Can't say I've heard of that before, without even thinking about the contribution towards the fee.

• Like 1

Reported that despite Wakefield's new money man spending cash for fun, Lachlan Walmsley had to contribute towards his own transfer fee to get the deal from Fax done. Nothing screams tin pot Rugby League more than things like this.

I assume he didn't have to - he wasn't forced, he could have stayed at Fax instead.

It sounds as though Trinity valued signing him at £X, and no more - Fax wouldn't release him for that amount so he chose to make up the difference himself so that he could sign for them.

It may be an unusual decision for a player to make, but if Wakefield didn't rate him any higher why would they pay more than the value they thought him worth?

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Happens in football quite often to be fair. 

• Like 2

Why? 

Ever thought that Ellis/Powell know what a player is worth and won't pay a penny more. No, that's too obvious for chip on the shoulder fans. Walmsley clearly wanted to join Trinity and leave Fax, so much so that he effectively bought his contract out, something that's been happening for a hundred years. Fax didn't create Walmsley, and as such can't claim any moral right to compensation, you got greedy and Wakefield walked away. Walmsley knew what he wanted and that he'd make it back long term and acted, live with it, it's called economics.

Or is it the case in the twisted logic of some RL fans, that because Ellis is rich he's expected to give it away, even to a club who he has no interest in, whilst ignoring what's best for his own business. Is this the nonsense we Trinity fans will have to put up with for the next year (hopefully just a year), can't wait.

Edited by Kirmonds pouch

35 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

I assume he didn't have to - he wasn't forced, he could have stayed at Fax instead.

It sounds as though Trinity valued signing him at £X, and no more - Fax wouldn't release him for that amount so he chose to make up the difference himself so that he could sign for them.

It may be an unusual decision for a player to make, but if Wakefield didn't rate him any higher why would they pay more than the value they thought him worth?

He had a clause in his contract that set the amount. Wakey found out about this during the season and then spent the next few months trying to find ways around paying that amount. I don't blame them for trying but to the point where the player has to cover part of it himself does not show them in a great light. Given he had a year left on his contract I think the RFL really should investigate the way Wakefield have effectively tried to get him to break that contract.

3 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Why? 

Ever thought that Ellis/Powell know what a player is worth and won't pay a penny more. No, that's too obvious for chip on the shoulder fans. Walmsley clearly wanted to join Trinity and leave Fax, so much so that he effectively bought his contract out, something that's been happening for a hundred years. Fax didn't create Walmsley, and as such can't claim any moral right to compensation, you got greedy and Wakefield walked away. Walmsley knew what he wanted and that he'd make it back long term and acted, live with it, it's called economics.

Or is it the case in the twisted logic of some RL fans, that because Ellis is rich he's expected to give it away, even to a club who he has no interest in, whilst ignoring what's best for his own business. Is this the nonsense we Trinity fans will have to put up with for the next year (hopefully just a year), can't wait.

Explained in my post above. Your version of the story is so far removed from the reality of what happened.

1 hour ago, Click said:

Good bit of business from Halifax there then, to get any transfer fee for a 25 yr old winger going to another Championship side.

Can't say I've heard of that before, without even thinking about the contribution towards the fee.

I think Fax just covered bases as it always looked like he would go to SL eventually so they had the clause put in his contract regards a SL club and compensation. Turned out to be a very smart move by our previous board of directors but the way Walmsley and Wakefield have gone about this has left a very bitter taste to a lot of people at the club.

Just now, The Blues Ox said:

He had a clause in his contract that set the amount. Wakey found out about this during the season and then spent the next few months trying to find ways around paying that amount. I don't blame them for trying but to the point where the player has to cover part of it himself does not show them in a great light. Given he had a year left on his contract I think the RFL really should investigate the way Wakefield have effectively tried to get him to break that contract.

If Wakefield approached him in a way that they shouldn't, then of course that should be looked into.

If they didn't think him worth the price set in the clause in his contract, then there is nothing wrong with not paying it. Fax could have released him anyway for a lower price if both clubs and the player all wanted that.

I assume neither club would budge so Walmsley had to decide whether to stay at Fax or take the unusual step of paying the difference himself - he did the latter - although not typical, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong in that aspect of the deal.

1 minute ago, Barley Mow said:

If Wakefield approached him in a way that they shouldn't, then of course that should be looked into.

If they didn't think him worth the price set in the clause in his contract, then there is nothing wrong with not paying it. Fax could have released him anyway for a lower price if both clubs and the player all wanted that.

I assume neither club would budge so Walmsley had to decide whether to stay at Fax or take the unusual step of paying the difference himself - he did the latter - although not typical, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong in that aspect of the deal.

Just for context we are not talking about tens of thousands of pounds here, we are talkiing about a few K. It is pretty straight forward though, if Wakey wanted him they have to pay X amount or he stays at Fax and sees out his contract which was Halifax's choice when Wakefield started messing about. Wakefield's interest didn't end there though.......

End of the day everyone got what they wanted, Wakefield paid less than they were asked to, Fax got near the fee that they were entitled to, Walsmley gets to play in SL(if Wakey keep him on in 2025). Underhand stuff goes on all the time but when Wakey are shouting from the roof tops about been cash rich and you have a lad who does not earn that much money having to pay part of his own transfer fee despite Wakey knowing the clause they would have to pay to sign him, I don't know but from a moral stand point it just does not sit right.

4 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Just for context we are not talking about tens of thousands of pounds here, we are talkiing about a few K. It is pretty straight forward though, if Wakey wanted him they have to pay X amount or he stays at Fax and sees out his contract which was Halifax's choice when Wakefield started messing about. Wakefield's interest didn't end there though.......

End of the day everyone got what they wanted, Wakefield paid less than they were asked to, Fax got near the fee that they were entitled to, Walsmley gets to play in SL(if Wakey keep him on in 2025). Underhand stuff goes on all the time but when Wakey are shouting from the roof tops about been cash rich and you have a lad who does not earn that much money having to pay part of his own transfer fee despite Wakey knowing the clause they would have to pay to sign him, I don't know but from a moral stand point it just does not sit right.

I don't see what the underhand stuff is here though - you say "if Wakey wanted him they have to pay X amount or he stays at Fax and sees out his contract", that's not quite right, surely it is "if Wakey wanted him, Fax had to receive X amount or he stays and sees out his contract".

To my mind, it is irrelevant whether Trinity's owner can afford to pay the fee set out in the contract - what is relevant is whether they think Walmsley is worth that amount. They evidently didn't and I assume would therefore have walked away from the deal.

Everything beyond that is on Walmsley isn't it? It was his choice from that point on.

• Like 2

Get it in the Q&A thread! 😂

Edit: Just seen that you already have haha!

Edited by Nothus
update
  • Haha 1

Do transfer fees count on the salary cap? Chances are if that's (still?) the case it's just a way round that.

Walmsley won't be out of pocket at all.

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

Says a lot about Fax when players are willing to pay their own way out of the club.  Sounds like big trouble going on down there if players are that desperate to leave. 

Suppose when you finish as far down the table as they did last year its understandable their best player would want to leave. Why would he want to say at a team who struggled last year and stay where it looks even worse for them in 2024

Edited by Ragingbull
  • Haha 1