2024 Transfer Tracker

7 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Why would Bennison, who looks a bit unnatural or awkward on the wing and lacks a bit of power and pace be nailed on if Saints are openly saying they will be changing and focusing on being a more quick and attacking style team in 2024? 

Because he is 20 years old, he has heaps of potential and will improve with every game he plays. I wouldn’t Say he lacks pace, he isn’t the quickest player in the world but he is certainly not slow. 

Besides, Bennison already has a year of experience playing on the wing for saints and has been given the 5 jersey again, so it is very likely he starts.

16 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

Why would Bennison, who looks a bit unnatural or awkward on the wing and lacks a bit of power and pace be nailed on if Saints are openly saying they will be changing and focusing on being a more quick and attacking style team in 2024? 

I don't see it with Bennison either. There is nothing about his game that makes me think he should be a starting winger for Saints. I know he is still only 21 but to me he looks like one of those cheap homegrown, utility backup type player who can do a job anywhere. Still a useful player to have but Saints can certainly do better for a starting winger.

On 10/01/2024 at 09:05, DG70 said:

Kassiano released by wire, Salford need a big quality prop and should be all over this but they are obviously skint. 

It seems odd that he has been dismissed by Warrington so close to the season's start.

If he enjoyed the French lifestyle, maybe he would be a good signing for Toulouse in the championship.

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

I thought he was medically retiring with a chronic wrist injury?

Thanks, Gav.  That is a bit of info that has passed me by.

14 hours ago, NRLandSL said:

Because he is 20 years old, he has heaps of potential and will improve with every game he plays. I wouldn’t Say he lacks pace, he isn’t the quickest player in the world but he is certainly not slow. 

Besides, Bennison already has a year of experience playing on the wing for saints and has been given the 5 jersey again, so it is very likely he starts.

I see more the case that taking the shirt away from the lad when they were only looking to sign a Centre for the vacant 3 shirt would have been unnecessary  and a demoralising blow after only being given it. Shirt numbers do not guarantee starting places or even any guarantee of a certain amount of game time these days. 

Edited by Johnny Ringo
Predictive text errors

24 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Waqa Blake announced by Saints. 1yr deal.

Just can see this as anything but a major win. Instant kick up the backside for Hurrell to work to retain his place, major competition in the backline for places with lots of potential setups with Blake able to cover both wing and centre, and protects some of the kids coming through for 12 months to establish themselves (I genuinely think Vaughan will get the 3 shirt next season). 

If he regains his best form hes one of the best players in the league, and if he doesnt we have lost nothing on Hopoate and move him on with it only being a 12 month deal. 

It may have taken the club a long while, but really smart moves overall in the recruitment market. Without the disruption of the Australia tour, have really high expectations now, lots of pressure on Wellens to deliver. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Waqa Blake announced by Saints. 1yr deal.

I'd be happy with that as a Saints fan. It's always good to have a bit of strike and a player with real size and power in the backline.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

Isaiah Vagana NZ Warriors to Trinity

Bradford a bit slow there?

• Haha 1

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

51 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Wakefields Pack is looking big and strong with some decent depth 

It certainly is !!!!!

Great to see we are signing young players with their careers infront of them as opposed to has beens like Proctor

1 minute ago, Agbrigg said:

It certainly is !!!!!

Great to see we are signing young players with their careers infront of them as opposed to has beens like Proctor

I was wondering whether Kasiano was on his way over the hill, but this one is much more exciting, a young, hungry player with everything to prove with good pedigree. 

On 09/01/2024 at 12:55, NRLandSL said:

I would expect Bennison to be the nailed-on starting left winger. Blake and Percival in the Centres. Ritson and Hurrell are good backups but I don't think they're good enough to be starting for Saints. Bennison is young and he will continue to grow and perform, it would be silly of saints to drop him for a 28 year old who isn't getting any better.

I just don’t see Bennison as a winger, he scored one cracking try against Wire last season but he hasn’t got the pace or the size. He is brilliant under a high ball, but seeing him Vs Catalans in the PO-SF every time the Dragons kicked to him he’d get the ball, step forward a yard then he’d be smashed back five. Fullback is his best position but we’ll have to wait and see. 

• Like 1

On 10/01/2024 at 01:38, NRLandSL said:

I’m just not sure if I can see Konrad Hurrell Performing week in and week out for St Helens. Don’t get me wrong he is a phenomenal carrier of the football but in this late stage of his career he doesn’t offer much else to his game. Defensively he isn’t great and his fitness will be a serious challenge.

I think agaisnt sides like castleford, London and Hull FC he will be a great threat but coming against wigan or Catalans he could get exploited. 

I think playing Ben Davies would be a lot safer than Hurrell.

IM 50/50 when it comes to Hurrell NRLandSL. His attacking play can be really good and cause all sorts of problems for the opposition. It’s his defence that can be a problem for the side, but id sooner have him crawling on the pitch than Davies, i don’t rate him at all. 

26 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I just don’t see Bennison as a winger, he scored one cracking try against Wire last season but he hasn’t got the pace or the size. He is brilliant under a high ball, but seeing him Vs Catalans in the PO-SF every time the Dragons kicked to him he’d get the ball, step forward a yard then he’d be smashed back five. Fullback is his best position but we’ll have to wait and see. 

I agree, ever since his debut it’s been clear he is a genuine fullback. He is very aware and strong under the high ball with good support play. Problem is, with Jack Welsby, Bennison isn’t going to play any fullback unless Dodd or Lomax leave/retire. So it’s important he gets experience on the wing and learns to play a different position rather than just sitting on sideline.

He is a superb talent and should be playing every week if saints want him to improve. Let’s hope he puts on some size in the offseason and becomes a bigger threat off the kick return.

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

I agree, ever since his debut it’s been clear he is a genuine fullback. He is very aware and strong under the high ball with good support play. Problem is, with Jack Welsby, Bennison isn’t going to play any fullback unless Dodd or Lomax leave/retire. So it’s important he gets experience on the wing and learns to play a different position rather than just sitting on sideline.

He is a superb talent and should be playing every week if saints want him to improve. Let’s hope he puts on some size in the offseason and becomes a bigger threat off the kick return.

I mean, Bennisons bigger problem is Robertson, Roberts and Whitby all coming through the academy in the spine and all potentially challenging for a starting spot in the next 3 years. All three are incredibly highly rated by the Saints coaching staff. 

As a fullback Bennison hasn’t really shown much of a passing game which is critical in modern RL, and as a winger he can’t take early carries in sets and gets too easily dominated (same with Ritson which I am firmly in the Blake to play on the wing camp). There’s no doubting he is a talented RL player, who is capable of some highlight reel stuff, and has the indefinable talent of being in the right place at the right time (as scoring in the 2022 semi and grand final shows), and a likeable lad to boot. I just don’t know what his position is. If he does gain some weight and strength over the offseason, and can develop some footwork at the line he could make it as a winger, or maybe even centre if he bulks out more. 

But competition for places is only a good thing and I’m sure Bennison, Ritson, Davies, Sambou and Vaughan will all be pushing Blake and Hurrell for their spot.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NRLandSL said:

Good signing already a regular starter in the NSW cup should translate well to the championship. Wakefield Middle pack looks very dangerous now.

Bowden

Atoni

Uele

Cozza

Vagana

Shaw

At least 5 guys who will be some of the best in the division.

You missed Luke Bain come from NSW and Scottish international with his best years ahead. 

Also, Toby Boothroyd a big promising second row/prop from Jersey Flegg. 

4 minutes ago, Trojan Horse said:

You missed Luke Bain come from NSW and Scottish international with his best years ahead. 

Also, Toby Boothroyd a big promising second row/prop from Jersey Flegg. 

I’d say Luke Bain is more of a 13 than a big ball carrying front rower, he only weighs 95 KG.

Also I’d say Boothroyd is more of back rower than a middle foward.

They could play in the front row but it’s unlikely they will be needed because of the talent Wakefield already has.

Edited by NRLandSL

38 minutes ago, Magic Superbeetle said:

I mean, Bennisons bigger problem is Robertson, Roberts and Whitby all coming through the academy in the spine and all potentially challenging for a starting spot in the next 3 years. All three are incredibly highly rated by the Saints coaching staff. 

As a fullback Bennison hasn’t really shown much of a passing game which is critical in modern RL, and as a winger he can’t take early carries in sets and gets too easily dominated (same with Ritson which I am firmly in the Blake to play on the wing camp). There’s no doubting he is a talented RL player, who is capable of some highlight reel stuff, and has the indefinable talent of being in the right place at the right time (as scoring in the 2022 semi and grand final shows), and a likeable lad to boot. I just don’t know what his position is. If he does gain some weight and strength over the offseason, and can develop some footwork at the line he could make it as a winger, or maybe even centre if he bulks out more. 

But competition for places is only a good thing and I’m sure Bennison, Ritson, Davies, Sambou and Vaughan will all be pushing Blake and Hurrell for their spot.

I’m not even a saints fan but even I know Sambou is no longer a saints player and has signed for Oldham 2024. 

Bennison imo isn’t good enough and will soon find himself at lower SL club/top championship. He never impressed me when I’ve watched saints. That said he is young and can always improve. He’s one of those players that will do a job I suspect. Be interesting to see how he goes.