IMG Gradings

BridKnight

Just now, georgeb1 said:

more or less where clint predicted , plenty of  work to do in 2024 so lets get on with it, up the knights 

As you say plenty of work to do , and need big season in 2024 which hopefully will result in better attendances to boost the score, it will be interesting to see what happens to London in 2025 

• Like 3

apparently Cas aren't happy and have appealed, which is odd as these are only indicative rankings and not the final ranking which will be issued after season 2024, as it stands Toulouse would be in, London would be out, but it could and probably will all change. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

apparently Cas aren't happy and have appealed, which is odd as these are only indicative rankings and not the final ranking which will be issued after season 2024, as it stands Toulouse would be in, London would be out, but it could and probably will all change. 

It’s not just Cas who are kicking off now, Keighley are insulted  and Featherstone , predictably, think their grading  should have put them in Super League. It’s quite funny really when you think about it, and so Rugby League!!! No wonder people outside the game don’t take us seriously!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Expatknight said:

It’s not just Cas who are kicking off now, Keighley are insulted  and Featherstone , predictably, think their grading  should have put them in Super League. It’s quite funny really when you think about it, and so Rugby League!!! No wonder people outside the game don’t take us seriously!

Not rovers complaining there hard done by , surely not😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Expatknight said:

43 minutes ago, georgeb1 said:

Not rovers complaining there hard done by , surely not😇

I wish people would read things, Fev's board take on it is an interesting read, the statement can be found here: http://bit.ly/3s8tOld

Our board's take on it and why we voted against the IMG grading proposal was that a "B" grade team winning the championship should be able to replace the lowest "B" rated team in SL. I.e. that the promotion and relegation part from SL should be based on the pitch not whether you as a club have fancy advertising boards and the next club hasn't, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

York are theoretically the 5th best club outside Super League then, which is pretty much where they've finished in the Championship since 2019 (3rd, 7th, 5th, 6th). Lots of potential for improvement too. Happy with that!

Cas dropping to 13th for filling the form out wrong is very, very funny. 🤌🏼

Keighley calling it all an 'insult' and the 'spreadsheet era of rugby league' 🤌🏼🤌🏼

Fev straight up accusing clubs of lying about attendances. 🤌🏼🤌🏼🤌🏼

All in all, a great day on Twitter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

more or less where clint predicted , plenty of  work to do in 2024 so lets get on with it, up the knights 

Yes, the exact position he said we'd have in the recent video interview.

Mark is dragged down a little by our 9th place finish two seasons ago, plus our average gate being less than 2,000. 

Plenty to do, and plenty to play for (I personally don't get the thrill of being promoted as a part-time team to SL, having to sack off the players who got you there, then trying to recruit the leftover players that other teams don't want, only to be relegated straight away 😀)

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, stevo56 said:

Age old problem in York,not enough people watch the game here.

4.5k v Bradford 2018

3.5k v Catalans 2018

3k v Whitehaven 2018

4k v Toronto 2019

3k v Toulouse 2019

Plenty north of 2.5k in the new gaff, a few north of 3k

8k in the RLWC last year

4.5k for the Valkyrie Grand Final two weeks ago

They do if its a big enough game. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, stevo56 said:

Age old problem in York,not enough people watch the game here.

Understand that the crowds do come into the IMG Gradings ,but on the whole we seem to be holding on to our support,Clint did try to come up with different things through out last season which didn't really work to attract supporters to the games,but we do need to increase our gates some how to move the knights forward.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BridKnight said:

Knights placed 17th with 10.05 points.

10th  Toulouse

11th   Wakefield

12th   Leigh

13th   Castleford

14th   Bradford 

15th   Featherstone 

16th   Widnes

17th   York 

Interesting - lots of controversy already!

Is there anyway to find out what we actually scored in each of the five categories? 

23 minutes ago, Mick the Miller said:

Is there anyway to find out what we actually scored in each of the five categories? 

The fine-grained detail on the rankings is apparently for the clubs to choose to disclose or not - RFL are not doing it.

There is a strong case for more to be disclosed, if only to head off the wild accusations and conspiracy theories that have started circulating today.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Expatknight said:

They don't take us seriously because the game keeps changing every season and even some clubs and supporters don't know what's what.

32 minutes ago, RBKnight said:

The fine-grained detail on the rankings is apparently for the clubs to choose to disclose or not - RFL are not doing it.

There is a strong case for more to be disclosed, if only to head off the wild accusations and conspiracy theories that have started circulating today.

Can't understand why Bradford are 2 points above us for the past 2 years apart from fan base. They came 9th in 2022 and made a loss of about £250k, have borrowings of about £1M and their stadium and pitch is nothing compared to ours. They have not been in SL for years due to past history. Even there women's team is in SL2. Maybe they get bonus points because Nobby and Wood are involved???? 

6 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

York are theoretically the 5th best club outside Super League then, which is pretty much where they've finished in the Championship since 2019 (3rd, 7th, 5th, 6th). Lots of potential for improvement too. Happy with that!

Cas dropping to 13th for filling the form out wrong is very, very funny🤌🏼

Keighley calling it all an 'insult' and the 'spreadsheet era of rugby league' 🤌🏼🤌🏼

Fev straight up accusing clubs of lying about attendances. 🤌🏼🤌🏼🤌🏼

All in all, a great day on Twitter.

Did they spell cas wrong?

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s any kind of conspiracy with Bradford. I’m not a fan of the club but if you compare them against York you can see why they are slightly ahead. Full grading criteria below:

Fandom: I don’t think we’ve averaged more than Bulls in years. Online (digital engagement) if it’s because of likes, comments etc I’d estimate Bulls are way out in front. They have 38k followers against 9.5k for York.

Performance: York have finished 3rd, 7th, 5th, 6th. Bulls 6th, 5th, 9th, 3rd. Not much in it. 

Finances: I don’t know enough about either clubs finances. If I had to guess, their income will be a lot higher. Revenue streams; I imagine Bulls are getting a lot more with that huge 2 storey hospitality stand behind the sticks. 

Stadium: I’d have to see the exact criteria for this. I don’t know if they look at how run down a facility is or capacity, number of seats etc. I feel our match day experience is something we fall behind on, but as some have said on here previously, they come to watch the rugby not all the razzmatazz around it. For me that mindset and culture is something we have to improve, it’s not enough to just play a couple of songs over the PA before a match. Having The Skylights was a good step forward. Utilisation - again tricky to know what they mean. Odsal has 3 stands open on match day, we often only have 1 or 2. 

Community: Unsure how our foundation compares with Bulls. Not an awful lot of competition here for supporters. Our local derby is Fev 30 ish miles away (does this mean we score higher or lower?). Bulls have/had Halifax, Keighley almost on their doorstep.

Again I’m not a fan of Bradford but you can see why they still score relatively highly.

——————

• Fandom [5 points]: Taking in attendances, memberships and digital engagement with fans 
  • Performance [5 pts]: Teams rated 1-36 in terms of league position over three seasons, with bonuses for league/cup wins
  • Finances [4.5 pts]: Income, financial stability, diversity of revenue streams and business performance
  • Stadium [3 pts]: Quality of facility, match-day experience, capacity, utilisation
  • Community [1 pt for foundation, 1.5pts for catchment area]: Success of foundations as charitable arms, and how much competition for supporters in local area.

Edited by AB Knight
  • Thanks 1