Combining the Championship and League 1 and creating a viable fixture list

3 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

It can produce and sell programs centrally initially, anything really, fans will start buying these programmes when it's marketed as a big help for all clubs alike, and vital. 11 seperate home additions weekly with several pages localised a bit like bbc radio regional news.....then move on into different projects. The potential is already there. The RFL don't have the resources to do much outside of SL that's apparent, hence why masses of people think they are useless and clueless. 

Game On lasted two years.

• Thanks 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

Do baseball style trading cards for kids to collect and as a hobby, space on back for player to autograph, sell the cards in club shops and also distribute a few relevant cards at matches to kids to then go and get autographed. It's cheap as chips to make these cards and at media day or something get a decent photo of all the players. Not hard to do. 

1 minute ago, Smudger06 said:

Do baseball style trading cards for kids to collect and as a hobby, space on back for player to autograph, sell the cards in club shops and also distribute a few relevant cards at matches to kids to then go and get autographed. It's cheap as chips to make these cards and at media day or something get a decent photo of all the players. Not hard to do. 

Collect a full team, get a matchday experience for that team....collect the whole league get a season ticket for team of choice next season and a grand Final experience. Whatever. 

4 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

This seems like a middle aged person looking wistfully back to a nostalgic version of their own long-ago childhood?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Did collector cards in 1991 - never repeated so I'm guessing they weren't a massive success.

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I’ve recently acquired a load of those. Ready to frame the Widnes ones (as back then we had a good team)

Got a set.  I got about 100 autographed.

• Like 1

On 26/10/2023 at 15:33, Smudger06 said:

If its good enough for German Football amongst other big Football Associations to run reserves in lower leagues, it should be good enough for the RFL. 

Its surely a win win.

More games to blood up and coming youngsters.

Have the 1st team and reserves have alternate weeks at home so stadiums can maximise revenue. Or, play double headers and give the League 1 teams the experience of playing at a SL stadium

Saying that I do not see the sense of Workington or Whitehaven having to travel to Cornwall. Its not economically viable. Perhaps below SL needs some regional divisions with end of season play offs across the divisions to determine the champions.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

They are due to make an announcement tomorrow aren't they?

Tomorrow is the (self imposed?) deadline to announce the decision so assume so.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Barley Mow said:

They are due to make an announcement tomorrow aren't they?

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Tomorrow is the (self imposed?) deadline to announce the decision so assume so.

Never assume, it makes an ass out of u and me....

Still think a geographic split is the best option. The Championship is 50% + Yorkshire clubs anyway

Split it broadly as East & West (with the obvious outliers accomodated although ideally Toulouse would be in SL)

Apologies if I am not up to date with withdrawals but you would then have

East:   Wakefield, Featherstone, Dewsbury, Hunslet, Doncaster, Bradford, Sheffield, York, Batley, Halifax & Keighley - 11 teams

West:   Oldham, Workington, North Wales, Rochdale, Cornwall, Widnes, Swinton, Barrow, Whitehaven, Midlands, Toulouse - 11 teams

IMO The East league would work very well. No massive distances to travel and the bulk of teams from the Championship

The West league would not be great given some big distances to travel. 

I would expand both leagues to 14 teams by including SL reserve teams. Again apologies if I am not up to date with Reserve teams but East could perhaps include Leeds, Hull and Hull KR. The West could have teams from Saints, Wigan and Wire.

14 teams would be a 26 game regular season. Top 4 in each division to go into cross division play offs. Depending who came down from SL the divisions may need to be tweaked to keep an even number. Works in football

We need to do something creative though as a reduced League 1 will not survive and we don't want to be losing long established teams from traditional areas.

52 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Still think a geographic split is the best option. The Championship is 50% + Yorkshire clubs anyway

Split it broadly as East & West (with the obvious outliers accomodated although ideally Toulouse would be in SL)

East:   Wakefield, Featherstone, Dewsbury, Hunslet, Doncaster, Bradford, Sheffield, York, Batley, Halifax & Keighley - 11 teams

West:   Oldham, Workington, North Wales, Rochdale, Cornwall, Widnes, Swinton, Barrow, Whitehaven, Midlands, Toulouse - 11 teams

IMO The East league would work very well. No massive distances to travel and the bulk of teams from the Championship

I would expand both leagues to 14 teams by including SL reserve teams. Again apologies if I am not up to date with Reserve teams but East could perhaps include Leeds, Hull and Hull KR. The West could have teams from Saints, Wigan and Wire.

14 teams would be a 26 game regular season. Top 4 in each division to go into cross division play offs. Depending who came down from SL the divisions may need to be tweaked to keep an even number. Works in football

We need to do something creative though as a reduced League 1 will not survive and we don't want to be losing long established teams from traditional areas.

Who is footing the bill for all that travel for the west league? 

6 hours ago, headtackle said:

So we're to become effectively a pair of regional leagues?

Fantastic.🙄

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, headtackle said:

I like a lot of that, but imo it fails to deal with the 2 core concerns of Championship clubs when a merger/reshuffle with League 1 has been suggested.

Namely: 1, they want guaranteed home fixtures against the biggest drawing clubs; and 2, they are concerned about trips to the likes of Cornwall.

To me, that means there has to be some jiggery pokery with the conferences to balance them out on those fronts, with a limited number of cross conference games filling in the gaps in fixture numbers.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1