'Gen Z' Engagement...

14 hours ago, Gav Wilson said:

Again, I'm not sure being dismissive of an entire generation with a relatively decent disposable income would be a wise strategy for the sport to take... 

A bunch of iPhone warriors who think coffee is the caffeine equivalent of craft beer?

They're priorities are all consuming and self centred while living at home with mum and dad. That's why hey have money.

Are you watching big brother ATM?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, gingerjon said:

What I call it is irrelevant, TBH.

And this is why we need IMG. What you call irrelevant are people who launched a drink brand worth Billions.

We can't rest on selling the game to the same boomers at the pub. 

• Like 1

new rise.jpg

16 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Really surprised to see boxing so high - but then I guess there are a lot of social media constructed fights, spats and storylines ...

Will have a proper look at the rest.

Absolutely. My nephew - football first, ridiculous boxing match-ups, fake grudges, pointless re-matches, YouTubers fighting each other a close run second, all consumed on his phone.

10 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Where does the chart in the OP say elite level? A lot of the measured engagement will include a sport's junior/local/amateur scenes, but also high-profile celeb events.

As for many of the other comments sneering at today's youngsters, that is both embarrassing and unhelpful. You have become your dad, shouting at Top of the Pops.

Hey you take thar back! My Dad loved TOTP.

1 hour ago, Ackroman said:

A bunch of iPhone warriors who think coffee is the caffeine equivalent of craft beer?

They're priorities are all consuming and self centred while living at home with mum and dad. That's why hey have money.

To be honest I’d rather have them lot following RL than a lot of the dinosaurs we have now

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

F1 seemed to gain an advantage through its documentary series on Netflix.

It's hard to know the "Netflix" effect. It coincided with one of the closest (and most toxic) seasons of memory in 2021. Since Max has gone on to be dominant viewership is back to declining; quite significantly in some places too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ackroman said:

Okay Boomer

• Haha 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 hours ago, Ackroman said:

man yells at clouds.

You realise the exact same sentiments will have been thrown at your generation when you were young by the older generations.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Now I think about it, its popularity is somewhat hidden in plain sight. Leisure centres, schools, even Center Parcs, all have it.

It's a sport that both girls and boys play at school, is a good 'after the office' sport, and is also commonly played widely by people of South and East Asian heritage*. Also as mentioned by decent numbers of older people. I'm not that surprised by the popularity.

*I made a version of this point earlier and the post got deleted for some reason.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

7 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

It's a sport that both girls and boys play at school, is a good 'after the office' sport, and is also commonly played widely by people of South and East Asian heritage*. Also as mentioned by decent numbers of older people. I'm not that surprised by the popularity.

*I made a version of this point earlier and the post got deleted for some reason.

I should have added that I joined a badminton club (one of six in Hastings) for a time as Tiny Ginger was interested and suddenly realised that this patch of East Sussex had a number of SE Asian people and they all seems to be properly good at badminton in a sports hall on a Monday evening. 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

And this is why we need IMG. What you call irrelevant are people who launched a drink brand worth Billions.

We can't rest on selling the game to the same boomers at the pub. 

Hadn’t realised the double meaning in what I wrote.

I was saying my opinion on it is irrelevant, not that those people and those fights are irrelevant.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ackroman said:

You're joking right? Real people don't really believe these tabloid stereotypes do they?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Hadn’t realised the double meaning in what I wrote.

I was saying my opinion on it is irrelevant, not that those people and those fights are irrelevant.

Sincere apologies. I read it wrong.

But I guess if someone was to poo-poo these YouTube celebrities etc they need to take a step back. The entertainment industry has changed so much in just the last 5 years.

We need SL to be on the cutting edge of trends to stay relevant.

• Like 4

new rise.jpg

50 minutes ago, M j M said:

You're joking right? Real people don't really believe these tabloid stereotypes do they?

The fact is, the attention span of a young person seeking a distraction is not great. They won't last 80 minutes but you might get 8.

Hence why a lot of things demanding they're attention now are exhibitions rather than competitions. There to raise revenue, not provide rewards for effort/ achievement.

I have 3 kids of my own. They all tried RL and did well but gave it up and don't watch it now unless it's a try fest. So if you want to stay relevant with them, you have to change the sport fundamentally. 

PS

No need for stereo typing of me either, I don't read the paper and I am not old.

4 minutes ago, Ackroman said:

The fact is, the attention span of a young person seeking a distraction is not great. They won't last 80 minutes but you might get 8.

Hence why a lot of things demanding they're attention now are exhibitions rather than competitions. There to raise revenue, not provide rewards for effort/ achievement.

I have 3 kids of my own. They all tried RL and did well but gave it up and don't watch it now unless it's a try fest. So if you want to stay relevant with them, you have to change the sport fundamentally. 

PS

No need for stereo typing of me either, I don't read the paper and I am not old.

This is a much more valid and reasoned contribution, why didn't you just say this the first time around?

1 hour ago, Ackroman said:

PS

Not sure why you didn’t just post that in the first place?

RL as a sport doesn’t need to fundamentally change, how it’s marketed does, which is where IMG will hopefully help.

RL as a sport is fast paced and most games have some incredible skill on show which is easily shown in short form videos which os what a lot of younger (and a lot of older) people consume.

We also need to market our biggest assets more - the players, who ate incredible althletes, and mostly humble too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ackroman said:

As I was reading this, the voice in my mind was Jim the farmer off Brassic.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ackroman said:

Yes - they should use proper keyboards like us.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"