England vs Samoa Series

Would be interested to know whether ITV were sounded out given the CCF recently outdrawing the union GF. 

But there are some good things going on here - a series sponsor (!); BBC (iPlayer, BBC1, BBC Sport, BBC2, BBC3?) coverage; tickets on sale. 

Overall, however, yet another Northern Union test series is really dispiriting. The game really is paralysed by a fear of failure above all else.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mojo said:

I hope they promote the heck out of this series and hopefully they show the games in nz, because the tongan series wasn't shown here. The Samoan teams going to be very different to the one that was at the world cup, a lot more younger players have come through and the young players at the world cup alot better. 

Potential squad

1 Sua Faalogo

2 Brian To’o

3 Stephen Critchon (Capt)

4 Izack Tago

5 Murray Taulagi

6 Chanel Harris-Tevita

7 Jarome Luai

8 Terell May

9 Danny Levi

10 Junior Paulo

11 Jayd'n Sua

12 Jeremiah Nanai

13 Heilum Luki

14 Blaize Talagi

15 Spencer Leniu

16 Josh Papali'i

17 Luciano Leilua

18 Tyrone May

Would the likes of To’o, chritchon, luai, leniu and nanai not be in contention for a kangaroos call up?

I'm OK with this.

If Samoa play Tonga before they come over, then they will be good to go and we could see a 2-0 win either way or honours even.

If we get Tonga vs. Samoa, this series and Australia, New Zealand Tonga and Fiji in the Pacific Championship, then that is a good autumn of international League.... hopefully France and PNG get games as well as other nations.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Just now, John bird said:

Would the likes of To’o, chritchon, luai, leniu and nanai not be in contention for a kangaroos call up?

To’o and Critchon have been in the frame before and opted for Samoa.  Nanai is a Kangaroo and I don't know if he has stated an inclination to change.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

TBH i'm pretty excited by this and will be looking at flights home to watch a game! 

(I do agree it's a shame it's 2 tests rather than 3, and a shame we haven't taken a game to London or Newcastle - but i'm still excited to see England take on Samoa again and definitely see the samoa team as a lot more exciting and threatening than Tonga. we will need to be on top of our game!) 

From what i understand also it was Samoa pushing for a 2 test series - so can we really blame the RFL? 

• Like 4

Ok, so it is what it is, and it's better than it could have been. 

The First Test is two weeks after the Grand Final, so hopefully it means we will have another game slotted in.

Good that we have a sponsor, and that we continue to be shown on the BBC. I'm not excited by the ground choice, but it could have been worse. I'm as frustrated as anyone about us retreating from London, but that doesn't mean we should be uber critical of playing in the North - England Union don't really bother going anywhere else from their heartland at Twickenham. But it does rather ignore that London has generally been our biggest market for internationals.

I think this is a really crucial series for the RFL now. If we can get 20k per Test, ideally a sellout in both, then hopefully it would show potential for these kind of tours. Last year was lacklustre and it was no surprise that on the back of it Samoa questioned coming over. But this really is over to the sport to make this a success now - and I'm not putting that o the fans - if the sport can't make these compelling events that enough people want to get off their backside and pay money for, then it is on the sport, not the fans.

But for all its faults - I'm certainly interested in getting along to one of these.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Ok, so it is what it is, and it's better than it could have been. 

The First Test is two weeks after the Grand Final, so hopefully it means we will have another game slotted in.

Good that we have a sponsor, and that we continue to be shown on the BBC. I'm not excited by the ground choice, but it could have been worse. I'm as frustrated as anyone about us retreating from London, but that doesn't mean we should be uber critical of playing in the North - England Union don't really bother going anywhere else from their heartland at Twickenham. But it does rather ignore that London has generally been our biggest market for internationals.

I think this is a really crucial series for the RFL now. If we can get 20k per Test, ideally a sellout in both, then hopefully it would show potential for these kind of tours. Last year was lacklustre and it was no surprise that on the back of it Samoa questioned coming over. But this really is over to the sport to make this a success now - and I'm not putting that o the fans - if the sport can't make these compelling events that enough people want to get off their backside and pay money for, then it is on the sport, not the fans.

But for all its faults - I'm certainly interested in getting along to one of these.

England Union manage to draw crowds at Twickenham though... Not so much England RL in the North.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Click said:

England Union manage to draw crowds at Twickenham though... Not so much England RL in the North.

I don't disagree - and it will be interesting to see what happens with a two test series - as the principle of one on each side of the Pennines and one down South has always been right for me, and we'll see whether the fans respond now the silly Hudds Test has been taken out compared to last year's schedule.

1 minute ago, Tommygilf said:

Will we still be in Blue and White?

The lack of activity from the kit suppliers suggests that even Oxen had given up on the England team!

Just now, Dave T said:

The lack of activity from the kit suppliers suggests that even Oxen had given up on the England team!

I honestly don't see why they took on England it goes completely against their business model!

Joking aside, I definitely think they have held off on producing an England kit till it was confirmed we would actually be playing. That it's mere months away is an indictment on the sport.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

The Beetlejuice theory decrees that a new training kit will be with us any day now. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Dave T said:

Good to see the organisers are backing themselves by keeping the West Stand closed at Wigan, and certain areas closed at Leeds 🤣

Oh jesus? Where at Leeds is closed???

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Pretty underwhelming based on both the venues and only having two matches

Certainly nothing that is wanting me to book now and will instead wait for the football fixtures 

If we put aside our own preferences and the desire for perfection, the venues as standalone tests just about get a pass for me. Wigan is an important RL town, has staged loads of Tests, is a great ground and a decent capacity. I'm less of a fan of Leeds' ground in November, but like Wigan it is an important location.

The ambition really should be 20k crowds, and if we can't do that, then we do have to consider what international RL is about.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Oh jesus? Where at Leeds is closed???

Just a few blocks, and the seated stand behind the sticks. I'm sure they will open - but with the capacity as they are, fans should have the choice of the whole grounds from Day 1.

Particularly as there will be Wigan regulars who would choose that West Stand for example.

• Like 1

Just now, Dave T said:

Just a few blocks, and the seated stand behind the sticks. I'm sure they will open - but with the capacity as they are, fans should have the choice of the whole grounds from Day 1.

Particularly as there will be Wigan regulars who would choose that West Stand for example.

Yeah that is really naff tbh the whole point of going for these sorts of venues should be that we are confident in sell outs or close to. It doesn't look good to me.

3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I know it is frustrating, but they can't simply open the whole ground in one go. There are sponsors, hundreds of folk taking part in pre-match events etc who all need to get their tickets sorted too. Logistically, they need to be placed in certain parts of the stadium. 

Looking at some of the reactions on here today, there will be tickets for anyone who wants to go and support the national team. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice enough video and good to see the series logo with sponsor at the end - as this isn't really mentioned on the ticketing site. Need to be better at pushing our parters.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

I know it is frustrating, but they can't simply open the whole ground in one go. There are sponsors, hundreds of folk taking part in pre-match events etc who all need to get their tickets sorted too. Logistically, they need to be placed in certain parts of the stadium. 

Looking at some of the reactions on here today, there will be tickets for anyone who wants to go and support the national team. 

Nah. That isn't the reason they have closed whole stands mate.

1 hour ago, crashmon said:

This is Rugby League...  Expect a England Probables vs England Possibles type game at LSV or Doncaster as a warm up

That would be much better preparation Crashmon than playing France, especially so if it is treated as a proper trial game and not a training run.