Carcassonne

12 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

Applied to join League one in 2026.

I have no doubt that that the RFL will put plenty of hurdles in their way and some League 1 clubs will moan, and after that Gary "Dinosaur" Schofield will write a piece in League Express telling everyone, who bothers to read his articles that Rugby League should stick to being a M62 corridor sport and that expansion is a bad idea.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

I have no doubt that that the RFL will put plenty of hurdles in their way and some League 1 clubs will moan, and after that Gary "Dinosaur" Schofield will write a piece in League Express telling everyone, who bothers to read his articles that Rugby League should stick to being a M62 corridor sport and that expansion is a bad idea.

Of course, everything you say is correct, they talk about expansion and growing the game in on breath then put as many obstacles in the way in the next. I do think The Championship would be a better fit for them though. Adding teams like this creates a buzz, people talk about it and therefore the word spreads, The RFL should be doing all they can to facilitate this, as they should with Newcastle.

• Like 5

It will be Carcassonne on their own, they will have to pay travel for the other teams, they probably would be mid championship already without recruiting any players, 

They have said limoux and Lézignan can join them if they like to make a stronger team, 

I can't see the rfl allowing this but you never know, it will definitely weaken elite 1 which is a lot closer this year, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

One of those hurdles is the question of whether there will be a League 1 in 2026, as the sub-SL structure is supposedly under review over the next few months. Will any new system have space for an additional team.

A decision will likely just come down to money at the end of the day, can they self-fund without central distribution and pay travel costs.

I hope it happens, Carcassonne are my favourite French team.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Dave T said:

It is interesting that this doesn't appear to out people off. 

We don't know how many clubs want to join but don't because of it.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Have to say: why?

The English game seems to go from one low to the next. Add in their apathy towards outsiders that verges on disdain. I'd steer clear.

Agreed.

And yet still a better prospect that being entirely within the French RL system.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, barnyia said:

I can't see the rfl allowing this but you never know, 

The structure agreed between IMG/RFL and approved by the clubs officially caps overseas sides at 2, I believe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barnyia said:

It will be Carcassonne on their own, they will have to pay travel for the other teams, they probably would be mid championship already without recruiting any players, 

They have said limoux and Lézignan can join them if they like to make a stronger team, 

I can't see the rfl allowing this but you never know, it will definitely weaken elite 1 which is a lot closer this year, 

AUDE CATHERS

4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I take it that even with the criticism, you read his articles?

Will this lead to the strengthening of the French national team in the long run?

Will it expose French players to a higher standard of play making them better players in the long run?

If the answer to these questions is yes then it could make France a better long term opponent for England (from our selfish perspective).

Hope it works for them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I have mixed feelings about this better they stay in Elite 1 and we have a good  Anglo/French cup .

If they go expect 

Lezignan 

Limoux

Albi

To follow suit 

Oh maybe it's just going to be Unions URC and a Anglo/French Leagues

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

Have to say: why?

The English game seems to go from one low to the next. Add in their apathy towards outsiders that verges on disdain. I'd steer clear.

This is about Rugby League mate if I would move you posy to Cross Codes if you want to talk about Rugby Union 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The structure agreed between IMG/RFL and approved by the clubs officially caps overseas sides at 2, I believe.

I might be wrong, but my understanding is the 2 club limit just applies to SL, and even that is only a short/mid term position.

3 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

I might be wrong, but my understanding is the 2 club limit just applies to SL, and even that is only a short/mid term position.

That may be correct - really not sure now - but I thought it was in the context of the grading for every team.

Either way, I think we can agree that if the RFL/clubs want another French team in then they will amend the rules accordingly.

• Like 1

They should simply make Elite 1 part of the pyramid. 

Make it initially League 1 equivalent then raise it to Championship equivalent. 

Each year Elite 1 could take on the Championship Winner. The result could count toward IMG ratings helping entry to Super League. 

This would also help incentivise investment into Elite 1 directly and possibly even incentivise expansion in close countries.such as Italy and Spain. 

• Like 6